The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Bit of a damp start here and some more to come but sunshine is due this afternoon. Allegedly.

Looks like some domestic tasks are being scheduled. The Boss has already started removing decorations but she'll need me to deal with the lights and putting stuff back in the loft and I'm not ready to do that yet. There may will be some disagreement later.

Usual weekend of rugby coming up with Sale v Quins tonight. Latest comment from Herself is that "It's not fair that they show so much sport."  Hmm, in my opinion it's not fair that they show so much Constipation Street/Emmsleydale type crap.

Have a good one,

S.O.Aphater.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The overnight rain has stopped and the skies are starting to clear, but there’s not much blue out there at the moment. Today for the first time in 2 months I don’t have to administer any eye medication to Sheila, she had her last set of drops yesterday, so normality returns, well for 2 weeks anyway, then it will all start over again. 

The plans for today are a quick quick trip to the Trafford Centre for the bits we can’t get locally. My return home will be via the butchers where I’ll pick up the weekly meat rations and hopefully a pastie for my dinner. 

Later ER’s we have James and Amelia calling for tea, which tonight will be sausage and chips, what type of sausage will depend upon what the butcher has for sale, Cumberland always seems to go down well. 

Be careful up in the loft Bob. 

Back later. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Shopping done!

Off put soon.. beastie needs a wash!

Her indoors took the decorations down yesterday. I now need to get a picture frame repaired  (told her..more haste, less speed).

Hopefully trainesetc will work for Ian. I will be making use of a bus to go into town....

Bob, i managed to put the decorations away by placing them unwr the new layout temporarily...much easier!

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Dull here, not raining though. 
An email from Royal Mail suggests a parcel will arrive later this morning. Just a building for the model village that lives in the garage. A short burst of enthusiasm resulted in me removing buildings from storage after I had put them away when we had the garage door replaced last year. Fortunately I had taken photos to help me recall what went where. 
Our decorations won’t take long, just some cards and a cuddly toy moose, to remove. The  list supplied by AndrewP could also have a mobile phone added to it. Useful if stuck in a corner of the loft. About 20 years ago I fell from the loft, breaking a few ribs. We got a proper loft  ladder afterwards. That was getting the decorations out of the loft not putting them up though. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. My brother is now two hours into his op and by all accounts its barely half way through. No news yet but no news is good news. Without the op his life expectacy would only be a matter of months, the op will give him a few more years but he is coming up to 73 years old and those years will be on dyalisis so who knows? I had a fold down loft ladder installed a few years ago when I had the new boiler installed. Slight problem is that it reduced the already small loft hatch which meant I have to squeeze through the space that is left or go on a diet. Fortunately the boiler is near enough to the hatch for the controls to be reached without entering the loft completely.

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Bob, IF your going aloft, then don't forget;

Safety Harness,

Hard Hat,

Gum Protectors,

Cricketers Box, ?

Knee Pads,

Shin Pads,

Elbow Pads,

Breathing mask,

Ear Plugs,

Protective Glasses,

Toe Tector Boots,

Leather Gloves,

Oxegen,

Parachute,:o

and a MATRESS on the floor under the hatch.:wub::heart_mini:

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Now you're overdoing it and taking the p1ss Andy. Why on earth would I need ear plugs! :D

They would be the most essential item I would have thought.

33 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

They might have special instructions to confiscate awls at the border.

Jamie

I've heard of budgie smuggling but awls?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

There is one very useful byproduct of loft ladders.  My Brother in laws used to sell them. along with all sorts of other useful ironmongery and tools.  The wooden ones that fold into about 4 sections had some lovely hinges on the side.  These were flatish and were ideal for joining two folding baseboards so that the pivot point was above the level of the parallel strips of metal.  Via my BiL I obtained 4 sets of hinges from the manufacturer (in Denmark) for a remarkably small fee, namely zero tokens.   These did many years of service on Long Preston and are now in my spares box.    

Jamie

• Like 18

Good morning from cold, cloudy and rainy Bedfordshire.

Early morning gym visit done, a quick trip into the mercifully quiet town centre (well as quiet as Luton ever can be) for some essential supplies and now back home with a large mugacoffee.

Yesterday's non-runner is now a runner. At some stage in its life, it clearly had attention to the pickups which were then replaced the wrong way round. A quick clean, replace and adjust and all was well. 

Jobs for today include replacing the protective screen cover on my iPhone. As everyone knows this job requires surgical precision and the kind of dust-free environment normally associated with building satellites. I shall therefore use the kitchen table.

Later I will have my annual phone call with AA to negotiate on the renewal of my apparently much-valued membership. So valued in fact, they insist I pay more for it than last year. Every year they try to sneak it up and every year I beat them down. It's becoming rather tedious and I'm fed up with it. This year I will probably tell them to Green Flag themselves.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

2 hours ago, Debs. said:

:senile:Road trip today....and it'll be Passports reqd. at the border! :stop:

.....after all; Yorkshire is special and they might not let just anyone (like me) in. :beee_mini:

Its not just the passport - vaccination certs as well - we're particular about the germs we let in too :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' awl, brighter here than recently, yesterday was vile.  So was the weather.

Belated birthday greetings to Mike; I was very busy for much of yesterday and couldn't get back to the PC in the evening until nearly 1am, by which time I was so stressed out I turned it off and went to bed.  Among other things a large amount of modelling tokens were consigned to oblivion, a.k.a. the kitchen department of Wickes.  A late evening visit to Sainsbury's superstore followed, partly for a meeting with stepson, who is a security man there.  He had a brief TV appearance recently in "24 Hours at the Supermarket".  More carp followed, hence the late-ish night.

My assistance is required.  Have a good day

Pete

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

I have got a loft ladder, had one for years and it has saved me considerable grief. With the shoulder problem I've got at the moment I think I'd have trouble swinging myself up off the top of a stepladder like I used to. However the loft has not and will not be visited today. I may consider doing it tomorrow, I may not.

Bob 1 The Boss 0

Apparently I'm in a stroppy mood today and have got my grumpy drawers on! :rolleyes:

Bob 2 The Boss 0

Baz, I can't put the decorations under the layout as there is the rather small large matter of tracklaying and wiring that needs attention...eventually. Still looking for that lost mojo.

Nice pics Polly.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Either they are very big mince pies or very small bottles of Baileys.

Earlier you could see airbourne waves of rain being blown round the corner of the building, but it appears to have stopped now, though it's still windy.

Major system now finished and busy checking itself. 

Minor items now being calibrated, while researching Tiree, Scarinish / Gott Bay Pier..(for the 1960s)

I have a permit to visit Yorkshire, SWMBO is from there and so is my brothers wife and their children. I must be accompanied though...

I looked at getting a loft ladder and would like one. But our old house is very non standard and a standard loft ladder won't fit. It would require major surgery to the rafters to fit one...

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Baz has said most of the pertinent comments I would wish to make so my ramblings will be about trivia. HerbieHound awoke twice during the night, for such a small creature he makes quite a wail and of course it falls to me to put him outside / placate / place him back in his bed cage. SWMBO’s appointment in Baldock Health Centre duly dealt with, it was something of a rush to get there in the end. Yesterday I completed one of the extra outside LED panels at Chateau Herbie, I shall complete ‘tother one today whilst allowing mutt to cavort.

As for The Mill at Sonning, my family had a connection to it some while ago. The dilapidated old mill was bought by two brothers by the name of Richards perhaps almost 50 years ago. Frank, the civil engineer of the brothers, was married to Patricia who had been my mother’s best friend at school and they remained so throughout their lives. When Frank sadly passed away, his share of the business was bought out by his brother Tim and Tim’s daughter particularly took on its management. I believe it is her daughter who now runs it. When living in The Nuclear Triangle between ‘79 and ‘87, I would occasionally take The Duchess of Kingzance to dinner and a performance. A particular show with John Alderton and his wife Paula Wilcox springs to mind and we enjoyed their company in the bar later - a lovely couple!

Time to rescue a chewed slipper, make a smoked salmon sandwich then go and fit the aforementioned lamp. That is probably enough seizing for my daylight hours. Best to all, particularly those in a less fortunate position.

Edited by Kingzance
Alderton for the carp auto speller!
  • Like 16