The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Kilchurn?

I like the one of Greenan. I had cousins lived in Doonfoot, and we spent many hours along the shore there as kids.

Edited by pH

Well done! Castle Kilchurn on the shore of Loch Awe. It's the castle I'm looking for rather than the loch. Anyone spot the Dragon (just the head)? It's a simulcra in the landscape.

Next, strange bright colours but that is what it looked like:

post-9016-0-98673100-1326561208_thumb.jpg

I'll stop whilst I'm ahead...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Kilchurn?

I like the one of Greenan. I had cousins lived in Doonfoot, and we spent many hours along the shore there as kids.

It really looks like that, doesn't it? I've shown that one to American friends who think I made it up - but that one is actually sold, it was popular - I may do another one of it, moodier....

Best, Pete.

By coincidence I was telling my Loch Lomond story to someone this morning.

I've copied and pasted it for interested Scottish persons:

I took an Canadian visitor to Loch Lomond once.

We went on a boat.

Couldn't see a thing for grey mist.

Spent the whole trip writing postcards in the little bar.

One I sent to a friend - a view of Balloch which I mistakenly referred to as Ballochs.

He read it out at the breakfast table and his two year old son picked up on it.

Took several weeks to wean him away from shouting BALLOCHS! at every opportunity.

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Looks a bit like Inversnaid or somewhere round the north end of Loch Lomond, Pete.

I didn't know about your middle names but hey, you've gotta have faith...

Dave.

Ha! Yes, correct! The real Greenan has an oil refinery on the far shore - I used my Artistic License to refine (sic) it. These are amongst my latest batch, I have more if you would like to see them? They fund other activities.... Best, Pete.

I discovered today that it is NOT an oil terminal/refinery but Ayr Town!!!!!! Some apartment blocks look like very large oil containers.......Sorry, "Insulted of Ayr"!

Best, Pete.

Pete, you will be pleased to know I've joined the club!

Installed Parallels and Windows 7 and my blood ran cold when the first thing that greeted me was 53 Windows Updates and warnings about virus protection and so on. That was it. I've just taken them both off my Mac as I want it to remain virgin clean and will now use Windows 7 on my old PC and keep both completely separate. I must be close to becoming a Mac man, as the sight of Windows on this machine became a nightmare, as memories of nursing my old PC came flooding back.

Ah, Now you know how I felt - I'm no Apple evengalist but must say I detest MS stuff........Are you going to strip down the Windows machine and leave Templot and Photostuff on it?

Can I pick your brains next week about certain aspects of track making? The HO "finescale" I want to do will probably use OO-SF standards EXCEPT for sleeper/tie spacing (I think). I'm already in touch with Brian Tully.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Ah, Now you know how I felt - I'm no Apple evengalist but must say I detest MS stuff........

There sure are significant differences between handling (and configuring) a Windows machine and a Mac! My parents are both on W7, and with my having been sort of their personal IT support for many years now, I do find myself going along such lines of thought as "how would a Windows machine do this or that?" when I fix some problem or other for them nowadays.

Though to be fair, W7 isn't bad at all, in my opinion - there've been far worse examples of Windows over the years. By the way, did any of you ever have a C64?

Of course you can! I'll be more than happy to help. Yup, Windows 7 is going on my old PC and I'll run Templot from there. I'm just looking into wireless routers and dongles so I can print from the old machine wherever it ends up in the house.

I'll use the PC as a back up, so pics will be downloaded there first and then I'll use the SD card and iPhoto to shift them and sort them with keywords on the Mac.

• RMweb Premium

Oh the joys of using cassette tapes. :D

I actually had a Datasette drive for the 64 during the first several months until I was given the floppy drive. That must have been the most awkward way of running software I can think of - with the possible exception of punchcards!

Gordon - one additional option for your old PC might be to turn it into a backup device which you might then use as a target for Time Machine on your iMac. Provided this is possible with a machine running on Windows, assuming you'd like to keep it as a working platform for Templot and other modelling software.

Alternatively, a NAS device might be worthwhile for backing up data - not just from the iMac, of course.

• RMweb Gold

Pete, is the gone for a soda from a photo on Canvey Island beach?

I didn't have a Commodore 64 or VIC 20 though lots of students I taught did. I had a BBC Micro. I can recall paying quite a lot of money for a 40 track 5.25 inch floppy disc drive.

Pre IBM PC a business micro was likely to be an Apple running Visicalc. They haven't always merely been tools for the creatively inclined!

Pete, is the gone for a soda from a photo on Canvey Island beach?

Luckily one beach looks like another but you cannot see Gravesend from that one! Officially it is the twelve mile beach at Surf City (yes, I went to Surf City etc.,etc.) on Long Beach Island, NJ. One of my favourite beaches in the whole world.

Btw I was going to buy the BBC machine just to play Elite but luckily came to my senses...I remember Visicalc too...

Best, Pete.

Guest Max Stafford

Looks a bit like Inversnaid or somewhere round the north end of Loch Lomond, Pete.

Dave.

Dave.

That's the third time you've posted that! Was beginning to think I was having deja vu, but no, it's definitely a triple Wham!my of posts...

• RMweb Gold

That's the third time you've posted that!

Perhaps it was just a careless whisper.

Perhaps it was just a careless whisper.

Did I really just post that?

How embarrassing.

• RMweb Gold

Btw I was going to buy the BBC machine just to play Elite but luckily came to my senses...I remember Visicalc too...

I bought Elite but never got past the first bit where you had to dock with a trading station. I think I got my job as an advisory teacher for IT in 1985 as I'd been using a BBC micro to control toys rather than my programming ability. By then Aditi had used my BBC Micro and its View word processor to produce her MA dissertation. We had a daisy wheel printer that was of the single sheet feed variety. It took all night to print a copy of the MA.