The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening, had a lovely day in St.Andrews with SWMBO and the daughter and her family for her birthday lunch in a fancy golf club, never played golf in my life and at those prices I don't think I ever will...…………………...Had a nice walk along the beach in the sunshine, that was free, so I intend to do that again lol. Only two more sleeps so the grandsons informed me, is there something about to happen.?

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Here in the Charente the muddy hollow between our village and Néré has overflowed across the road but It's all still being watched by the ever present buzzard. No hippos have been sighted yet.

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Today has proceeded as well as could be expected. To Waitrose we did go, only waited around 5 minutes for a parking space (that could have been shorter if the old biddy (this one WAS older than me) could have managed to manoeuvre her wheels out of the parking space in a more proficient manner). Once inside, it was clear that Waitrose's clientele were in deep fear presaging withdrawal symptoms due to the store being closed on Christmas Day AND Boxing Day. At least we satisfied most of the items on her list. Upon returning home, eldest granddaughter appeared with a gift to wrap for her mother. This was duly done to SWMBO's satisfaction and then I would have returned her to her home except that her home was deserted so I took her into town looking for more sh!t that SWMBO had by then decided would prevent Christmas happening if we didn't have said items, grrr... Eventually, nothing suitable was found but Ava was returned home with a smile on her face, due in no small part to being able to bu€€er about with my mobile phone and knowing I won't be too sure how to rectify what she did. Part of the smile might have been down to the owner of the beautification salon frequented by SWMBO greeting me like a rather close friend and hugging me as we left! I have to admit it brought a little relief to my cultivated frosty countenance too.

Coffee capsules were delivered, as was an early present to me from The Whisky Exchange, something I had ordered at the last minute and didn't expect to see until past 26th. That it is here now means son will probably make something of a hole in it, grrr again... Son in law delivered some freshly split logs that had then to be stacked in my wood store. These are not well seasoned and not that dry so will have to be carefully sorted later when the fire has been allowed to go out overnight.

SWMBO is ensconced in front of that haunted fish tank again. I am rebelling by pouring a small one and catching up with ERs....

• Like 18

It is the middle of the afternoon (and consequently close to sunset this close to the Solstice) but the sky over my shoulder is remarkably blue.

Like many ERs I ran out to the supermarket around midday. It was still grey and gloomy (as it has been for at least a week) and I dressed appropriately. The expensive grocer's was jammed and the traffic around it was gridlocked. Leaving this shop, fancy cheeses in tow, I was surprised to be greeted by a glaringly bright thermonuclear explosion in the sky and had to resort to the backup pair of sunglasses stashed in the car.

Driving to my second destination with the car climate control sensing cool outdoor temperatures and the hot sun shining in was hot and uncomfortable but I'm not complaining. It was nice to see the sun for a change.

At least two of the small coastal rivers on the far side of the Coast Range crested yesterday, but there has been no flooding in my immediate vicinity.

This afternoon and evening, I need to do some housecleaning before family arrives tomorrow. Bah! ... you know the rest.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Dinner tonight was a pre-Christmas meal. I have been experimenting with the dry fryer which as I surmised can also double as a fan oven. The roast potatoes and parsnip came in packs with two helpings so I put half of each pack in the dry fryer dribbled a bit of olive oil on them and set it for 15 minutes. It turned out just about right, they baked perfectly. The green veg will only require a few minutes in the microwave and I will grill the salmon which I have instead of turkey.

6 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

I'll counter your image alert and raise you one:

My line manager is at least 26 stone in weight and probably two days round the waist. Looking at a list of the top 40 heaviest Sumo wrestlers, he'd probably rank somewhere between 50 and 60. He has ridden on a specially built bicycle, from Lands End to John O'Groats. When cycling, he always lycra gear! (Our witnesses are still in rehab!)

Sorry, HH, but the term "hippopotamus on a roller skate", in this case, may prove too diminutive! ;)

Reminds me of a colleague who was all of 20 stone who also wore lycra when using his bike.:O 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I spent most of the afternoon drawing and redrawing circuit diagrams, each one was slightly smaller than it’s predecessor, I think I’ve finally got it as small as I can possibly get it, but I might give it another look tomorrow. The evening was rounded off with a nice bottle of hobgoblin!

Goodnight all 

• Like 19