The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a lot to do today except to get bread and newspaper. The Christmas crush will be horrendous at Tess Coes if you can find somewhere to park. A couple of days ago some numpty parked their car in the trolly bay, the registration was noted by the trolley collectors. Tea to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun was shining when we got up earlier, but it has gone a bit cloudy now. We’ve had our usual Sunday morning lie-in with breakfast in bed. Now up with muggertea No2 and about to do a few small jobs for Sheila, these are mainly cleaning some of her jewellery and earning brownie points at the same time! After that there’s not a lot planned, but that may well change.

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,  

5 more drawers constructed, adjusted and installed,  the bottom of the top tray of the toolbox was installed as well..  Tomorrow the side of the top tray needs to be installed, some reinforcement to the tray,  then the central tray divider / handle support. After that, the 3 doors/ lids need making, before starting finishing work, sanding/ painting / varnishing. 

SWMBO took Ben for his long walk,  the farmers been cutting the hedge brambles,  hence more tennis balls returned than went. 

Ben is playing with his hedgehog again.. 

I think it's time to enter snooze mode.... 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon 

(I'll type this again) I went to bed early last night and Lady Horsell texted me she let me know what her intentions were it was very late when the light went off

I can't remember the last time I felt this happy we continued this morning amongst doing house work, so I its Milk Tray and a bunch of roses to buy tomorrow, :wub: :wub: :wub:

Enjoy your day :superman:I.M. Overde-Moon :D

BTW there's a tax scam just appeared in my email be careful

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Tesco duly visited and navigated fairly well although the checkout queues were long - but moving well in the one I chose.  No suffering in the shop from dithering a r souls but one half baked motor vehicle driver decided to conduct his vehicle along a very obvious footpath for some totally unfathomable reason which might potentially be linked with 'seasonal good cheer' because it defies any other explanation.  Anyway we went from me 'going out for the 'papers' ti o us going out 'for a few things we still need' - the same will probably happen again tomorrow because one of said 'things' had sold out within just over an hour of the shop opening (it is not essential anyway, I think).

In the true spirit of Christmas (???) today we had to clean the tops of all the wall units in the kitchen.  Why today I'm far from sure but I presume that's the first sign of spring and its cleaning as we're past the shortest day (more or less).

Enjoy the rest of your day one and all.

• Like 18

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi is busy studying the British Isles this morning. John (CB) sent an Ordnance Survey Quiz for her. She didn’t get all the answers correct so as she believes testing should be formative she is studying. I didn’t know there are some new map symbols. The quiz did rate her as an excellent geographer though.

I didn't get them all right, either. New map symbols came as a surprise to me as well, but they're mostly intuitive for function.. And who's supposed, without looking it up, to know the most popular OS map? I also got the Scottish loch wrong.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
On 20/12/2019 at 18:06, Gwiwer said:

They would be welcome to some of our surplus water.

Screenshot 2019-12-20 at 18.04.55.png

Same here. If we get any more rain, we will be cut off. As it is most local roads are closed and the remaining open roads all have long lengths of puddle up to 9" deep. I need another 4x4,

Went over the old bridge at the bottom of Ludlow town centre on Friday afternoon. If I had seen the river beforehand, I might not have chanced it.

• Friendly/supportive 19

14 hours ago, pH said:

High tide this morning:

IMG_4863.JPG.e56500ff87ed148dca24763a90c6867a.JPG

11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

That's a nice image, but I'm guessing the water level is not supposed to be quite that high.

Puts a benchmark on the situation.

4 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Good afternoon from a brighter Surrey than earlier. 

Been in the shed laying the first four turnouts in the new fiddleyard. It will soon be ready for wiring to commence. Maybe out this afternoon for beer but waiting to hear from others otherwise its back into the shed.

If you don't hear from them, it might be a good point to switch to other friends!

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Barry O said:

Anyone else having serious problems with Hermes?

Yes Barry - I ordered some 40mm shade rings to replace one that I lost on a new uplighter - it may have fallen off in the car park, or it may be in the car, but I didn't find it there.  Free postage and seller used Hermes, with an estimated delivery of 6th December, never arrived, emailed seller, replacement sent, never arrived, emailed seller, and replacement sent by 1st class post arrived the following day.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

I didn't get them all right, either. New map symbols came as a surprise to me as well, but they're mostly intuitive for function.. And who's supposed, without looking it up, to know the most popular OS map? I also got the Scottish loch wrong.

Aditi got the green blobs on the shoreline wrong, was surprised that North Yorks  wasn’t the most popular map  and the Loch wrong too. She did guess the solar-panel installation symbol correctly though. 

• Like 15

40 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi got the green blobs on the shoreline wrong, was surprised that North Yorks  wasn’t the most popular map  and the Loch wrong too. She did guess the solar-panel installation symbol correctly though. 

I know the green blobs but I'm with Aditi on the other two

And for those of a curious disposition this what we're talking about

https://getoutside.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/guides/ordnance-survey-quiz-2019/?fbclid=IwAR1C-nBwbCLAYct3JkSZRMnfFykUdgT20ZPaRy5Qogc3hufbEyrZbcK1-Dk

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from Estuary-Land. Ventured out to Tess Coes at lunchtime. As I approached from the Vange end I noted the queue of traffic snaking around the filling station so I took the road around the back of the store to the other entrance only to find an even longer queue trailing back to the A13! So I decided to try my luck in Pitsea itself and I found a parking bay on the short piece of road leading from Pitsea to the store. I only had to walk a few yards more than I would have if I'd parked opposite the store as usual and probably less than if I had to park at the back of Tess Coes car park. In fact where I parked was the stub of Station Road Pitsea that was severed by the Pitsea flyover. Time to put the dinner on, be back later.

• Like 18