The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

It’s been a very quiet evening here at BSW towers, I dropped Sheila off just before 7 o’clock outside the restaurant where she and her Zumba friends are having their Christmas meal. So I’ve spent most of the evening watching several documentaries on WWII. I’m just waiting to hear from Sheila as to when I go and pick her up. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Yet another exhibition cancelled, Highbridge this weekend. The reason is rather unusual, an outbreak of influenza at the school where the exhibition was due to be held has affected most of the pupils and staff.

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

G'daft-a-noon one and all.

I am apparently going to visit someone called Carole Servis shortly.  At half past 18 o'clock, under a pointy tree with lights and shiny orbs decorating it and some 50 yards away outside the local Thai Massage Parlor (sic)  

SWMBO is to meet me there and we return after A-weighing our Manger and Harking our Singing Herald Angels for food and drinkies to mark the onset of the weekend.

I may return later tonight.  Or not.  It may or may not depend upon how mulled the Red Laughing Water is and how much is proffered :jester:

That is now cultural http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-50770641

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

A little snippet. Today is the 80th anniversary of the Battle of the River Plate. Now a little teaser, which actor in the film had been a Royal Navy officer for real in WW2 and what character did he play in the film? A clue, he played a Royal Navy officer.:D

No takers? The actor in question was Patrick MacNee and he played Lt. Commander Medley, an aide to the C-in-C.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

No takers? The actor in question was Patrick MacNee and he played Lt. Commander Medley, an aide to the C-in-C.

To whom you can sort of add John Gregson who played Captain 'Hookie' Bell, HMS Exeter, in the film.   He however had served on the lower deck (in minesweepers) in WWII.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning.  Wet. (Outside).

...snip... Surprised about the overbearing officialdom in the land of the free. Ish, apparently.

They have taken lessons from the mother country, apparently!:laugh:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Any post ratings given or withheld must not be taken as related to any politics expressed in the post.

We had the Village Christmas dinner this afternoon. Catered by the catering students at the University. SWMBO thought the turkey was a bit dry, but I enjoyed it.

We have just had Boxing Day with my family added to the schedule. This apparently will mean a major toll on the road and buying piles of presents.

• Friendly/supportive 18

On 12/12/2019 at 14:42, AndyID said:

Biggest problems are ... rather oppressive regulations.

For example, if I wanted to work on my car I had to do it in the garage with the door closed.

21 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

It would appear the American Dream isn't all it appears! Surprised about the overbearing officialdom in the land of the free. Ish, apparently.

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

There is so much political/climatic/income/regulation variation between the 52 states that it's entirely possible to pick your ideal. 

Some of the "regulations" are not actually state or even local municipal ordinance but locally applied "CC&Rs" (Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions) enforced by "Homeowners' Associations".

The intent of such things is to maintain property values in a development and can have very stringent requirements for the appearance of a home from the street down to every detail of landscaping, roofing material, wall cladding, windows, doors and colours. The Homeowners' Association Architectural Committee gets to approve any improvements that can alter the appearance of the home and can be staffed by wannabe jobsworths with nothing better to do.

They are very popular in California. I remember a colleague going to battle with the "committee" to build a gazebo in his back yard. Even though he was willing to paint it in the approved accent colour of "Navajo white" the committee did not believe that such a structure was in keeping with the neighbourhood aesthetics.

I am glad to report that my property is not entailed with CC&Rs.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

Good morning one and all

Today is probably the worst day in the year to go shopping for clothes.  Nonetheless it must be done.  I need a new pair of cords for my holiday.   More difficult is the question of a new pair of trainers.  Mine wear out far too quickly.  It is probably my own silly fault for going to the same shop time after time.  I'm guessing that an early start would be wise, if only to get into position before the massed hordes fill up the shops and start grazing aimlessly.   Perhaps I am an unusual shopper in that I have a fair idea of what I want before I enter the shop.   Whether I can find what I want is another question entirely.  At least I can do it solo.  If a couple becomes separated it's out with the phones.  "Where are you, darling?  I'm over by the socks".  At time like that I am glad I'm single.

The process of packing is a good one for discovering what one has mislaid.  Currently I am missing two rail atlases and a couple of guidebooks.  In theory they are all in the same place because they always are.  The Lonely Planet guide to Switzerland was easily replaced yesterday but I would rather have a new Rough Guide.  The most useful thing I carry with me is, of course, the Swiss railway timetable.   It just about fits in the camera bag.  It is bulky but I know my way round it.  It is a fair bet that everyone else will have the timetable downloaded to their phones and will make fun of me when I produce the massive tome with its fold-out map inside the cover.   A few years ago JohnDMJ loaded the timetable into his tablet and there was friendly rivalry between us as to which would produce the desired result first.   Honours were about even by the end of the fortnight.   Now, no doubt, the massed mobiles will wipe the floor with the lone riffler [me].  I suppose the first step on the road to the 21st century is to remember to take my phone with me.  This is by no means second nature!

In another place is an encouraging post from a friend who is intent on giving up Twitter.  Good for you, buddy!  I have never used it but perceive it as a medium which is accorded far, far more importance than it merits.  This is largely down to its adoption by Donald J Trump as a mouthpiece.  Most if not all of his pronouncements merit only the response "So what?"

On that happy note, best wishes to all

Chris 

• Like 17

23 minutes ago, chrisf said:

This is largely down to its adoption by Donald J Trump as a mouthpiece.  Most if not all of his pronouncements merit only the response "So what?"

If you don't bring up DJT I'll not mention Boris.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Ben the I want out Collie,  had his way,  he e njoyed chasing the pheasants out of the garden,  I stood in the very windy cold,  with clear skies,  the moon and a hint sun showing.  Ben is now sitting in SWMBOs chair watching Thursford on TV that's just 35 miles away. Tickets for 2020 on sale 16 Dec 2019, they sell out quickly... 

https://www.thursford.com/christmas-spectacular/

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6