The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

We bought one of those temporary garage things to keep the boat dry. It's just a metal frame with a fabric roof. Yesterday I wandered down to see how it was doing. Just as well I did. It had moved a couple of feet and five of the six pins had been yanked out of the ground.

It was rather windy about two weeks ago. Fortunately it didn't take off. I thought the pins were a bit inadequate. Better come up with something that's a lot more robust.

• Friendly/supportive 18

17 minutes ago, AndyID said:

It's just a metal frame with a fabric roof.

Between the wind, the snow in winter and the sun in summer, I wonder how long that investment will last? Good luck securing it. "The Q" of this parish recently described his efforts to secure his boat shelter.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, AndyID said:

We bought one of those temporary garage things to keep the boat dry. It's just a metal frame with a fabric roof. Yesterday I wandered down to see how it was doing. Just as well I did. It had moved a couple of feet and five of the six pins had been yanked out of the ground.

It was rather windy about two weeks ago. Fortunately it didn't take off. I thought the pins were a bit inadequate. Better come up with something that's a lot more robust.

The 'heavy duty' marquee I bought as a range shelter has very inadequate hold downs which consist of 4 standard 6 mm round tent pegs and another 4 of the same with some guy ropes that are 1 .5 times the height of the legs and no tensioning devices.

We got around this by getting some 25 mm steel angle, 'sharpened' one end and welded a hammering plate onto the other.  these are put in close to the corners of the marquee (inside the side walls) and are joined by ratchet straps which are threaded over the roof frame.

This does hold it down, even in gale force winds.

It might be worth doing something along the lines of this using some ratchet straps going from one roof bar and then under the hull of the boar to the one on the other side.

• Like 19

13 hours ago, chrisf said:

... there was the annual cuppa with Jonathan David, not AFAIK an RMwebber but an acquaintance of long standing. 

Oh yes he is.  His alter ego is Cornelius Lundie.  My apologies!

Chris

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

Just catching up after a hectic but enjoyable weekend. 

Yesterday was spent, after the dog’s and my walk, watching a local rugby match several tiers down the league ladder.  As it was a local derby it attracted a crowd of, oh, I don’t know, about a hundred. My favoured team won whilst scoring some nice-to-watch tries on the way.

Today was spent in Newcastle on my annual Daddy and daughter day out/Fenwick’s windows/Christmas market/Christmas shopping day.  Hectic but rounded of with an enjoyable meal. I managed to do all my Christmas shopping but It hasn’t half knocked a hole in available funds. 

I think I may be even more frazzled than Baz.

Sorry to read various tales of woe and I hope that things work out for the best for all concerned.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

28 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

New solar lighting functioning - brownie points added.  How long they last is a moot point though.

3 minutes ago, BoD said:

Usually about an hour after sunset.

The solar lights or the brownie points?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 17

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Between the wind, the snow in winter and the sun in summer, I wonder how long that investment will last? Good luck securing it. "The Q" of this parish recently described his efforts to secure his boat shelter.

If it survives for a couple of years I'll be impressed. I should probably buy a spare roof fabric. They are not expensive.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

The 'heavy duty' marquee I bought as a range shelter has very inadequate hold downs which consist of 4 standard 6 mm round tent pegs and another 4 of the same with some guy ropes that are 1 .5 times the height of the legs and no tensioning devices.

We got around this by getting some 25 mm steel angle, 'sharpened' one end and welded a hammering plate onto the other.  these are put in close to the corners of the marquee (inside the side walls) and are joined by ratchet straps which are threaded over the roof frame.

This does hold it down, even in gale force winds.

It might be worth doing something along the lines of this using some ratchet straps going from one roof bar and then under the hull of the boar to the one on the other side.

Thanks! I like the idea of strapping it down under the boat trailer. I suspect the fabric would rip before the boat went airborne.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Evening all, not caught up with everyone's posts, we have my brother visiting so not been around to keep up on here, we went to Montrose Air base museum today as it was raining and Santa was there too...…………………………………..seems I've been a naughty boy most likely won't get much this year lol. Interesting that Montrose was the first military airfield in the UK, I didn't know that, quite interesting little place to visit. 

Wishing every one that ails speedy recoveries and G'night all for now.

I don't suppose there's much left of the establishment at Edzell?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. One thing about this new computer is its more powerful than the old one and a lot quicker. The drawback is that it takes a lot of battery power so it is now almost permanently plugged in when in use. KZ, Baz is not a Yorkshireman, I made the same mistake a couple of weeks ago at Warley. I have assessed the Oxford Diecast lorries I purchased yesterday. There are four tractive unit/trailer combinations and two spare tractive units. One of the four trailers was attached to a damaged unit that didn't match the trailer so it was replaced with one of the spare units that also matched the trailer. The trailers all have different loads, quite professionally made though I think one load might be loaded incorrectly. I will ask a fellow member of the model railway club who is a truck driver for his advice. Tea is waiting to be drunk, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

For the tie down boys.

I've seen a corkscrew shaped tent peg. I think I may have seen them in both tenting stores and pet stores (for larger dogs).

I've never had one as I think they might pull out in sandy areas.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4