The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I had a tutor group at the sixth form college I worked in. I asked a couple of my students what they had been doing over the weekend. It was apparently their ATC Arctic survival training. They had been to Norway and had to survive in a small tent. They failed at catching their dinner but Flt Sgt threw a bunny in for them to eat. They seemed to enjoy the experience. 

I recall a story which made the nationals 10+ years ago.  It was all about Dartmoor(?) Survival Training (Royal Marines?) - the troops were kicked out, told to survive on their wits and not get caught by those trying to find 'em.

One enterprising individual phones his missus on reverse charges, gets her to book him into a hotel on full board.  Bright lad.

Only not bright enough to keep his big gob shut in the bar at night - someone overheard him and bubbled him....

The powers that be said that there were no grounds to discipline him (survive on wits 'n all that); however he WOULD be repeating the course.

I've a feeling that they made it as difficult for him as possible.

• Funny 18

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All 

Went out the front door at 8am this morning the car said it was 0-C hit the Climate button and it was frost free in a minute flat put the seat heater on as well while I wiped the condensation

off some of the windows and mirrors and safely drove off down the road with a warm butt.

Slapped #rse was here while I was out she wants to know why have I written her name wrong,  Jacqui instead of Jacky I said I had not that is someone else that will p!ss her off

no doubt I will get the remarks about having phantom friends again. :jester: 

I have a date tomorrow with the new lady I can't wait so I will start getting things ready as it is a dash home from the dog to get changed and off out with this new darling soon after.

I noticed Debs is warming the AWL up I wonder who is going to mention the word "railway" first. DOH.  

Enjoy your day and stay warm it was taters walk round the damp woodland this morning he didn't pull much having taken a new route he was unsure of. :superman:W.O. R'nout :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

59 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Moaning awl.

Saturday a "quick" replacement of my smart thermostat involved running a new wire to the furnace (5 wires for the smart thermostat, only 4 used originally).

Piece-of-cake, RIGHT!! Join new wire to old, pull through and viola. Was a little tricky getting it to feed through, but eventually made it. Excellent.

NO SO FAST clever-buqqer, dealing with home-maintenance sods law here... while threading wire around obstacles in basement, tripped on wire and managed to pull the 18 inches "spare", deliberately left dangling, down far enough to disappear inside the wall :butcher::triniti::rtfm:

New hole created at appropriate height on the wall, and I now have an additional power outlet on the wall essentially covering up the hole I had to make to find the blqqdy wire! Finally sorted and new thermostat in place and working but NOT without a lot of extra work and aggravation :(

on chance all

Been there and got one of those t-shirts lol, in a former work place there's an office with a nice clock hanging over one of those holes.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Slept under / inside radars, with 50,000 volts just 5 ft above your head (when lying down). or on a store room shelf with the radar turing the fluorescents on every 15 seconds..

So you must glow like the Readybrek kid then?

• Funny 18

15 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

When I surfaced this morning, there was no evidence of wintry precipitation last night. It was raining when I went to bed. No wintry precipitation is expected tonight and the overnight temperatures are expected to be less cold during the week.

The Baltimore game versus the 49ers is tipped as a possible SuperBowl match-up. It was one of two broadcast games nationally this morning. Two more games were broadcast - one in the afternoon and one in the evening.

It's always entertaining to see snowy NFL games. They have to go to great lengths to remove snow from the all the lines, (sidelines, ten yard lines, yardage numbers, and the hedges - the hash line every yard).

Earlier this year  it snowed for the first time ever (I think)  at an AFL match when the West Sydney Giants played Hawthorn at Manuka Oval in Canberra.

Compared to the long pants, jerseys, helmets  and padding of the NFL, the AFL strip doesn't seem to be designed with snow conditions in mind.

maxresdefault.jpg.6c2dac2fc09c8b410dd962cdbc1b5e98.jpg

• Like 5
  • Funny 11

44 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

... long pants, jerseys, helmets  and padding of the NFL ...

Actually they wear knee-length knickerbocker trousers and the jersey sleeves are only barely long enough to cover the shoulder pads.

In cold weather some players will wear long sleeved undershirts but many of them will be sleeveless. The real difference is on the sidelines. They have hot air furnace blowers and warm waterproof capes which they wear to stay warmed up while off the field. They can't perform at the same level when their bodies cool down too much. The benches have heating as well. There are blowers to dry out and warm the helmet interiors too.

The bigger problem for NFL players is playing in the hot weather of late summer during the pre-season and the early regular season. In that case the blowers blow cold mist and they have iced towels.

Money is no object in the NFL.

It is much worse for non-pros. Every year there are high-school football players who die from heatstroke due to the combination of oppressive heat and more oppressive coaches during pre-season summer training. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Car clutch cable duly replaced and bank account lowered by £230. It was to be £250 but it didn't take as long as expected and thats why the charge was less. And thats why I have been taking my car to the same place since it was new 11 years ago. The clutch feels a lot lighter now but I soon got the hang of it and didn't kangaroo once. Best wishes Dom that your family medical issues will be sorted soon.

4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Moaning awl.

Saturday a "quick" replacement of my smart thermostat involved running a new wire to the furnace (5 wires for the smart thermostat, only 4 used originally).

Piece-of-cake, RIGHT!! Join new wire to old, pull through and viola. Was a little tricky getting it to feed through, but eventually made it. Excellent.

NO SO FAST clever-buqqer, dealing with home-maintenance sods law here... while threading wire around obstacles in basement, tripped on wire and managed to pull the 18 inches "spare", deliberately left dangling, down far enough to disappear inside the wall :butcher::triniti::rtfm:

New hole created at appropriate height on the wall, and I now have an additional power outlet on the wall essentially covering up the hole I had to make to find the blqqdy wire! Finally sorted and new thermostat in place and working but NOT without a lot of extra work and aggravation :(

You have to draw blood first to qualify for the GDB school of DIY.

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, grandadbob said:

Absolutely but I really don't do it as often as is mentioned here.....

.......however yesterday whilst wielding carving knife & steel prior to dissecting roast beef there was a very slight inter-action between my thumb and the blade resulting in a very very minimal drop of red stuff being shed. :whistle: 

More gravy?:jester:

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Absolutely but I really don't do it as often as is mentioned here.....

.......however yesterday whilst wielding carving knife & steel prior to dissecting roast beef there was a very slight inter-action between my thumb and the blade resulting in a very very minimal drop of red stuff being shed. :whistle: 

You did suggest that the meat was medium rather than rare so I fully understand your action :sarcastichand:

• Funny 15