The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Overslept this morning but not a problem as its a 'stay at home' weekend.

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Further review of toolboxes online,  has changed the design a bit, I'm working on ideas for securing the lid and stopping the drawers sliding out in transit.  But I want the latch or whatever not to be sticking out, so damage to other things does not occur bouncing around in the back of the landrover, and boxes can pack together more closely. 

A friends solution to a toolbox opening in transit was to strap an old leather belt around it.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Well, I could if I had a Chinook to lift it up there!  (Back to rotary wing aircraft again)

If you had a Chinook I suspect the leaves would blow into someone else’s property. 

• Agree 14
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Bright and sunny and bloody cold first thing.

Not much happening here today decided to have a lay in as some "dirt-box" neighbour woke me up at 3am slamming car doors.

Another neighbour knocked last night and asked me who reported him to the DVLA I said why knock here you break the law you pay the price it's not

the first time you have had not tax or MOT on your cars their van was here 2 weeks ago and the driver took a picture of the car you could have told me

I said it was too late by then the car is sitting up the road with a wheel clamp on it now.  

I received a letter from the flat complex where I'm moving to it has all the Xmas dates for various event to attend seems interesting enough.

3 day of dog next week Mon -Wed I hope he is going to behave or I will have to start over again with the discipline being an Alpha Male doesn't

help the cause.

Enjoy your day :superman: R.A. Thernackered :biggrin_mini2:

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
Just now, PhilJ W said:

Several streets away.

Three Chinooks used to fly south most weeks until a few years ago. Instead of flying along the route of the A130, they flew,over our road. Various items flew off a neighbour’s garage shelves. 
The visit by the US president was very noticeable as 3 very noisy Osprey tilt rotors flew over MiLs flat. Not stealthy. 
Tony

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Three Chinooks used to fly south most weeks until a few years ago. Instead of flying along the route of the A130, they flew,over our road. Various items flew off a neighbour’s garage shelves. 
The visit by the US president was very noticeable as 3 very noisy Osprey tilt rotors flew over MiLs flat. Not stealthy. 
Tony

Aircraft flying to and from the Southend air show used to follow the line of the River Thames/A13.  One evening after the show I saw a microlite flying towards London followed shortly afterwards by the Red Arrows at more or less the same height. I often wonder what happened when they caught up with the microlite. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Overslept this morning but not a problem as its a 'stay at home' weekend.

A friends solution to a toolbox opening in transit was to strap an old leather belt around it.

I have considered that, making the belt / strap part of the carrying handle. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

What patient doggies! Robbie was really good around the house but was very enthusiastic about going for his walk. No subtle hints. Not sure how he managed to sit and bounce enthusiastically at the same time. 

• Like 18

54 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

What patient doggies! Robbie was really good around the house but was very enthusiastic about going for his walk. No subtle hints. Not sure how he managed to sit and bounce enthusiastically at the same time. 

Dogs, like people, have their own characteristics!

• Like 2
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Premium

Yes Ben,  although he doesn't like a true cuddle,  does arrive demanding his ears tickled, or a good stroke whereas Duke our previous Border,  was much more independent,  rarely wanting more head patting. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes Ben,  although he doesn't like a true cuddle,  does arrive demanding his ears tickled, or a good stroke whereas Duke our previous Border,  was much more independent,  rarely wanting more head patting. 

Ben has been walked,  we had to go a different route as the sea defence gates are shut, so it was up and over the dunes,  by footpath.  The northerly wind has raised the sea level in the southern north sea.  But Ben enjoyed the beach it was low tide , high tide line was right up to the defences.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Sadly no Rev James or a Clarkes Pie to keep me company.

I do like the Clarkes Pie, I used to have a pint of SA and a Clarkes Pie when in Cardiff - not so keen on Rev James as it never quite seemed as good once Brains started to brew it in Cardiff after they took over Buckleys.

Afternoon All

Generic greetings to all, with a thank to Debs for reminding us of her Collies, and for the images of her as a driver. 

Won't stay now as I've got a cold, and I don't want to spread it to my fellow ERs

I'll try to get back and update you all tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Returned from a great scorer tutora meeting. The cricket world should be quaking as some great plans have been formulated and are now ib play.

Mugadecaf then some ebgineering of gearboxes to do.

Baz

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

The Christmas Fayre was interesting - as much as an indicator of social trends as anything else.  So there were noisy t*ssers doing their best to talk or shout louder than the nearby childrens' choir singing by the town Christmas Tree,  The reindeer were there again notwithstanding the 300 protest letters received last year (the fact that all 300 letters were identical apparently had something to do with their being ignored by the council).  The mix of 'street food' stalls was reasonably good with a Thai version and a vegan version added this year and fewer dispensers of incorrectly cooked bockwurst and other sausages of Germanic origin.  There was an increase in stalls offering tasters/samples of their particular alcoholic drinks including gin but only one selling draught beer - a decrease on previous events where beer was much more popular.  The strangest sight of all was the queues at all the cash machines - in one case it was a queue of more than a  dozen people and there were at least 5 in the queues at the other machines.  Quite why this should be struck me as very odd unless of course the charity shops were doing a roaring trade due to their staying open late.  Was this a reflection of the fact that many people have little to do with real money in their everyday lives found the experience of needing it to buy something using real money an unexpected imposition novelty.  There was a distinct decline, to zero, of estate agents offering mulled wine and minced pies to passers by  so maybe they're not doing so well nowadays and  the jewellery shops were closed unlike past Christmas Fayres where the town centre ones were open.

Fortunately there was no queue at the town centre chippy which was a bit of a surprise as the latest lot of Chinese folk to appear behind the counter there were churning out some remarkably good chips which were somewhat skinnier than the usual chip shop fare and a distinct improvement on the ones the Majorcans down the road offer. (We have three chippies - the two longest established ones are those I've just mentioned; the third one, which might well be the source of this evening's quiz night meal, also does a good job and is run by a very affable Sikh chap who always gives new customers various freebies.

And good to see that ChrisF has mentioned his visit to Nantgarw, which used to be on my patch and where in the colliery sidings I once watched, initially in amazement, two men re-railing a couple of collided/partially derailed 16 ton Mins using nothing more than a handworked Bull Winch.

Enjoy the rest of your day one and all.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 19

Depending on your preferences, today is "Shop local Saturday" (a movement to swing the pendulum back to local shopping after all the Black Friday, online / mall / department / box store craziness) or the biggest day in the College football calendar with a slate of big rivalry games - often between two big Universities in the same state.

I am watching televised College football.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I have met, worked with, and been married to, some very bright women in my time - but Debs is simply on another plane.......

B-dum, tish.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 9