The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Since we have an awl for certain matters, perhaps it is about time we introduced the lump hammer for the use of French!

dè mu dheidhinn Gàidhlig?

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright sunshine at the moment but Arthur Itis is very insistant that rain is on the way, confirmed by the weather forecast this morning. 

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Don't blame you!

Back when I worked in Basildon, I had a colleague who could hand solder pretty much anything (including large packages like 386 processors) without any form of magnification.  I must admit, my skills are nowhere near this level!

What was his name? We had a member of the Basildon club who was a whiz at soldering.

Edited by PhilJ W
Fat finger syndrome.
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Unless we need to cram a lot of stuff inside a locomotive SMD is just elitist and silly. Through-hole versions are readily available.

I don't think I'd go as far as to say it's elitist!  SMD is clearly great for saving space and actually is not that difficult to use once you give up on the idea of using a soldering iron.  The trick is to use solder paste and a hot air gun.  I use an old Black and Decker paint stripping gun and a complete circuit board can be soldered in a matter of seconds.  Positioning the components is a bit tricky but the solder paste holds them in place and you solder everything in one go.

Just don't drop the components on the carpet!

Cheers

Dave

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well yesterday’s sunshine was short lived, it’s raining again! Today I will have to temporarily pack away all my soldering equipment as we have Ava, Evie and Max coming for tea and I KNOW they won’t be able to keep their hands off it. Also I have to decorate the carrot cake I made yesterday and there’s also a trip to Waitrose to fit in as well.

I find soldering SMD parts fairly straight forward, it’s just the size. Once I get going on them, I can knock off a complete input/output module in around 30 minutes. It’s all about a steady hand and a bit of confidence.

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Truro to Derby (on a Saturday):

Car - 5h 15m

Train - 5h 31m / £82 - (Return not possible on a Sat)  Sun 5h 56m, 1 change /  £136

Plane - NQY -> EMA (via Dublin) - 7h 45m / £270   (or via Heathrow & Edinburgh 29h 25m / £555)  (funniest option is via Manchester & Guernsey !!) no flights back on the Sat or Sun

Looks unlikely I can make it...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12