The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Today is the 49th anniversary of the "exploding whale" story - a seminal moment in Oregon broadcast journalism. KATU's Paul Linnman's commentary is priceless. (This is our local version of the "Oh the humanity!" remark in the Hindenburg disaster.) Mark your calendars, next year is the 50th anniversary.

The best bit is the brilliant dead-pan commentary.

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

30 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Good morning one and all

The courage necessary to eat sushi has not yet presented itself and may not for some time as I have no plans to visit Japan – or, for the time being, Rapperswil.

Alternative providers are available at both St Pancras and Victoria stations, in both cases, less than a stone's throw from the 'Spoons!

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Robert said:

Don't blame you!

Back when I worked in Basildon, I had a colleague who could hand solder pretty much anything (including large packages like 386 processors) without any form of magnification.  I must admit, my skills are nowhere near this level!

Back in those days I could read top to bottom of the eye chart with both eyes no problem... since the age of 50 the eyesight has got fuzzier every year..

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

15 minutes ago, Robert said:

Don't blame you!

Back when I worked in Basildon, I had a colleague who could hand solder pretty much anything (including large packages like 386 processors) without any form of magnification.  I must admit, my skills are nowhere near this level!

Unless we need to cram a lot of stuff inside a locomotive SMD is just elitist and silly. Through-hole versions are readily available.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I noticed some estimates of cost / time etc getting to Derby. It is possible as a day trip from here but just out of interest I looked at some hotel prices overnight. I think for one hotel to include “all rooms include toilet paper “ as a point of interest may not be as good an indicator of quality as they think.  Is this normally extra in the East Midlands?

Absolutely.  Even torn up Newspapers cost brass tha' know's....

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

MrsID "suggested" it was about time we had a heated towel rail in the bathroom. I considered circulating water from the hot water tank through a cleverly constructed series of large diameter copper tubes until I discovered low output (120 Watt) electric towel rails are not ridiculously expensive. Then I found a nice example online that was "used", meaning someone had bought it and had no idea how to install it. I bought it for about 30% of the regular price.

The only snag is all the bits of conduit required to connect* it cost as much as I paid for the blinking towel rail.

*Fear not. The connection will be fully compliant with the NEC (National Electrical Code) and fed via a Ground Fault Interrupter (GFI) aka RCD.

However, you're still only in for 60% of the cost of a new leccy rail, with a lot less installation aggro (hopefully) than a hot water installation.  I'd call that a result...

1 hour ago, Debs. said:

Morning awl. :bye:

Whilst at a hospital appt., late yesterday afternoon, I was browsing t'internet for a particular text book, which I've been finding way-too pricey on my usual online sources......I widened my search and Amazon.fr offered me precisely the same book for considerably less than half the price in GBP (delivered) than that of their Amazon.uk site.......I've just had a message (in French of course:smoke:) that the book will be delivered today; how do they do it!?! :scratchhead:

The catch is that the book will be written in French....that's why it's cheap....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

45 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Alternative providers are available at both St Pancras and Victoria stations, in both cases, less than a stone's throw from the 'Spoons!

I know that, but do they offer courage?  [not the beer, silly]

Chris

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

The courage necessary to eat sushi has not yet presented itself and may not for some time as I have no plans to visit Japan – or, for the time being, Rapperswil.

I too was rather loathe to eat sushi, as the only stuff I ever saw consisted of rice and raw fish.  However it was a pleasant surprise to find that raw fish is not always a constituent, and there are many other varieties available. you just need to like rice! 

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

20 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Unless we need to cram a lot of stuff inside a locomotive SMD is just elitist and silly. Through-hole versions are readily available.

To a certain extent, I'd have to disagree with that Andy.  Through hole is getting increasingly expensive and difficult to get hold of.  Many of the new devices just aren't available in through-hole packages.

Having said that, If I want to solder it myself, and it's available I will choose through hole over SMD every time.

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Robert said:

Many of the new devices just aren't available in through-hole packages.

I'm probably just using a lot of the old devices. That's what happens when you get to my age ;)

Seriously, for a lot of the stuff that we need to control model railways SMD is an inconvenience.

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Which are great as long as you have central heating that uses water and a boiler

Not really. It doesn't make any difference how you heat the towel rails. You can use hot water from a gas fired boiler or you can use resistive heating from an electric heating element. What really matters is the efficiency of the total energy conversions (renewable or otherwise) from the energy source to the ultimate load.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

There is some brightness  in the sky and a fine day is forecast.

Much aching in the Back at the moment so not sure if much will get done in the garden building. However there is a new #### to run in and another one is due so we will be waiting in for a parcel. This has not gone down very well with Management who was expecting to go to somewhere called Dunelm Mill. My statement that we can't go there anyway as we are no longer National Trust members didn't go down too well either.:D

Unfortunately I suspect that a visit to Derby may be a trip too far for us as we have multiple celebrations, visits and a couple of holidays to deal with next year.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18