The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Just got in after steering the U up and down on the MHR - a cold but sunny day, 6 on, good fireman, perfect. We made that thing chuff....

my highlight of the Strat dvd (if it's the one I'm thinking of) is the late, absolutely fantastic Gary Moore doing a version of 'Red House' on his beat up red Strat (he was usually a Les Paul man)

Just sublime.

• RMweb Gold

Not long back form a week in sunny San Diego... loads of shots of the station for a future N scale model. Even lucky enough to get on board three private cars that came in New Years eve from Los Angeles. A very freindly corwd on them.

Back to work tomorrw.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

It is supposed to be 12C and wet here tomorrow. Not too sure how many tourists will be heading for the local beaches though. I've said I'll go looking for tables (in shops not at the beach), apparently the type known as lamp tables. This will just be a research trip to draw up a short list for someone with taste to make a decision.

Aditi's college opens tomorrow but she doesn't go back until Wednesday.

Matthew's term starts on 16th January, but as he has exams he wants to go back next week. Our bookshelf contents at home are not as good as the ones at the university library.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Weather looks like it's going to regale us with rain and strong wind. Nice start for the new year, is it not? <_< We actually had to battle through some rather heavy rain for part of our return trip yesterday. Add in several construction zones and the usual set of kamikaze motorists who must squeeze into the tightest of spaces for reasons known only to them...well. Thankfully, I have a couple more days off, which will also allow me to finish that teaching practice report.

Cheers everyone...!

Not long back form a week in sunny San Diego... loads of shots of the station for a future N scale model. Even lucky enough to get on board three private cars that came in New Years eve from Los Angeles. A very freindly corwd on them.

Back to work tomorrw.

Ian

Ian, If you have some interesting shots could you post them in the USA & Canadian Railroads section, please? They are always appreciated over there......

Cheers, Pete.

Blew a gale down here all night. Driving rain and high winds, although there are signs of it settling a little.

Pete, I took quite a few pics when I was out in Vancouver/Lake Louise a few years back. Would they be of interest in your US section? They're nearly all AC440's and Trinity hoppers, but happy to post them if you want.

Edited by gordon s

Morning all, bit wet and windy here too. Have t myself checked in for tomorrow flights. (Not going to rub it in but the forecast is 30c)

Now got to go and get the few bits n pieces I need to take back with me.

Hoping you all have a good a day as the weather allows,

Hope to catch up on Thursday,

Trev.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Very wet and windy here, though not possibly as bad as other parts of the country - looks like Scotland's getting another pounding. Made for an interesting drive to work, with a game of dodge the rubbish on the approach to town where today is bin day, and there's debris blown all over the place.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Morning All and Happy New Year, Apparently it's a working day today. The golf planned for today has been cancelled. Something to do with the horizontal rain! A "list" seems to have been compiled by the domestic staff while thay have been off work over the holiday period. As it is on a nice new electronic jotting tablet (one of my presents!) I suppose I could hit the erase button by mistake...

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rain and wind here as well. Unfortunately not windy enough to blow down the Leylandii.

I have visions of Dave's list processor as he attempts to erase it saying "I'm sorry, Dave , I can't let you do that.."

Tony

• Like 1

LOTS of rain here during the night.

River has started to recede - I think.

Now breezy with more rain lurking.

Doc's this morning.

I try to stay clear of the place for fear of catching something but I have a mysterious small lesion develop on my lower leg.

Not painful, not an irritant but it's not got any better in a month despite applications of fly spray and ketchup.

Just wondered if I picked up some wildlife while overseas this year.

Probably just leprosy or something but worth checking out before I check out.

• RMweb Gold

Just wondered if I picked up some wildlife while overseas this year.

Probably just leprosy or something but worth checking out before I check out.

I suggest you read the first few chapters of Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" before going to the doctors. It helps to be well informed!

I read that years ago - forgotten how it started.

?Preparations for the walk.

I did some wandering among the forests of Majorca in October.

Probably nothing to do with it but best to get it diagnosed.

I had a girlfriend once.

We drank champagne from her shoe and I sent her flowers every day.

She died of trench foot and greenfly.

• RMweb Gold

Matthew posted photos of his insect bites on his Facebook page when he was in Vietnam just in case he needed medical advice.

My mother was rather fond of telling me that "they have never seen anything like it before" whenever she went to the doctor with her various lumps and lesions!

I think bread poultice and application of leeches is the latest thing for insect bites.

• RMweb Gold

I was bitten by something out in Oz on my last visit - typical foreign insect, you don't know you've been bitten until a few days later when a lump the size of a 2p piece suddenly appears. I was lucky and treated it with some antiseptic cream Mrs Stationmaster had brought home from the States a few months previously.

And we too have a windy wild morning in the Thames Valley although the rain isn't too bad (yet), we're even forecast 'sunny intervals' but no doubt that forecast is not really meant for us.

• RMweb Gold

I was bitten by something out in Oz on my last visit -

Mr Bryson's travel book about Australia also mentions various unpleasant creatures.

Over here in in Essex we get nasty mosquitoes but they at least are no longer malarial! It is rumoured that in former centuries people used to dispose of troublesome relatives by sending them down to live near the marshes to catch the "ague".

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, the rain has now abated but for a while it felt like being on the wrong end of a water cannon. Already taken DD2 to Doctors now going shopping for tropical fish and an MP3 player after lunch dentist then trip to tip with Christmas rubbish then drop wife and DD2 in town and pick them up later..... who needs a list?