The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Its all about discrimination Andy. A trip that operates at a fault current of 30mA should go out on a fault current of 30mA, wherever it is in the circuit. If you have one trip connected downstream of another and both are rated at the same fault level, either or both could operate. There is no protection from the dreaded Windows updates unless you have a separate generation / storage / distribution system dedicated to such (routine :D) tasks!

I think you misunderstand. In the US it's common to not include RCDs in the circuit breakers at the main distribution panel. The multiple branches from each breaker can have a GFI outlet at the start of the branch (and typically do.) That GFI outlet also protects all the outlets beyond it in that branch. As there are no GFIs in series there is no problem with discrimination. I think we have something like twenty GFI outlets and every outlet in the house is protected.

It's also quite common for branches that supply computers to not include any RCD/GFI although I don't think that's such a good idea.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

Bummer!

"Samuel Adams released a new—and limited—batch of its seasonal Utopias beer that some states are already banning from shelves. While an average beer’s alcohol by volume, or ABV, falls below 10 percent, the new release is the highest naturally fermented beer at 28 percent, according to Forbes.

States that are already barred from selling the brew include Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont and West Virginia."

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/samuel-adams-extreme-beer-contains-ninja-yeast-and-is-illegal-in-15-states-202117412.html

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Disposed of a quantity of modelling tokens at the Chelmsford show today, most of it went on a locomotive from John Dutfields plus a few bits and pieces from other traders. One thing I hate washing is bedsheets, how do you fold the things solo without an extra pair of arms? 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

. One thing I hate washing is bedsheets, how do you fold the things solo without an extra pair of arms? 

Google “how to fold sheets by yourself”. There are videos. My method involves using chin and chest as a third hand. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Badoom-tish, Debs!

A full day of running about with SWMBO, lunch in the Big City, shopping then home to re-organise the woodstores after a delivery yesterday.  The suppliers cut to length with military precision, but we split them again lengthways as they're a bit big for our burner - we end up melting.  So the existing wood in the store which is all split has to come out, the newly delivered to be split another time, and the old stacked in front of it.  One day we'll make a bigger store to enable it all to be rotated properly!

It rained of course.

Do what we do and stack the wood on pallets each of which has a label showing when ut was stacked.  We get ours in 1 metre lengths then chop each into 3 pieces to fit the stove.  The log splitter is used for thick stuff from the garden.

Jamie

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Space is the problem, Jamie!  Not one you have, lucky lad!

Oh ironing - the best day in my short career in the Merch was the day I finished my cadetship and got that first gold ring around my sleeve - I got a 'cabin-boy' (steadyyyyy) who did my washing and ironing - 99% uniform of course.  In actuality they were usually bribe-able even by a scruffy engineer cadet before then, but not always, and of course the Chief couldn't be allowed to find out.   :whistle:

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, I see all the Paradise Papers stuff about Fraggle Rock.......was rubbish.  No laws or rules about VAT broken.  Don't see that in the headlines......just saying. But the lasting memory will be 'oh that's the tax haven VAT fiddle place'.  No, that's the City of London.

• Like 8
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

We've had a busy here at BSW towers, the girls and I made rocky road cakes this morning and they were set sufficiently for us all to try one at dinner time, they went down really well, particularly with Sheila, who doesn’t normally like these. However, I did deviate a little from the recipe by using chocolate that has a higher cocoa content and biscuits with a lower sugar content, thereby making it less sweet, more to Sheila’s liking. 

Mid afternoon Vickie and Ian called round to take the girls home and stopped for a cuppa. Whilst they were still here, Mike and Sarah turned up so we ended up with quite a houseful for a while. It’s Ian's birthday tomorrow, so Mike and Sarah were able to give him his present early, as did we. Once Vickie, Ian and the girls had left for home, I went and made a start on tonight’s tea, Kashmiri chicken, but as I’d made the sauce a few weeks ago, it was really just a case of preparing the rice and chicken and then adding the sauce. Needless to say, there was nothing left over at the end of the meal. 

Goodnight all

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, AndyID said:

Bummer!

"Samuel Adams released a new—and limited—batch of its seasonal Utopias beer that some states are already banning from shelves. While an average beer’s alcohol by volume, or ABV, falls below 10 percent, the new release is the highest naturally fermented beer at 28 percent, according to Forbes.

States that are already barred from selling the brew include Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont and West Virginia."

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/samuel-adams-extreme-beer-contains-ninja-yeast-and-is-illegal-in-15-states-202117412.html

Sounds like a trip over to WA then before they ban it:drink_mini:

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Sounds like a trip over to WA then before they ban it:drink_mini:

I might have to do that although I think it's mostly states that have state controlled liquor stores that are banning it. Washington scrapped that a few years ago.

• Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium

Thursday was Northern day rideout with a mate of mine - courtesy of a Johnstone Press ticket offer.

We start off with a vague plan for the main destination (in this case Chester) and then play it by ear from there.

Target was Chester and would involve an 8 minute change at Preston between trains 2 & 3 for the day.

However train 2 was 7 minutes late as we joined it in Blackburn. A Plan B was formulated.................

Still 7 minutes or so late approaching Preston.

A quick sprint between platform 3C and 2 and jumped onboard with about 20 seconds to spare.

My first ride on a 331, which I wasn't expecting as I thought they hadn't entered service on the west of the Pennines. 

Coincidentally it was 331001.

The guard even announced "as you can see it's a new train, let's keep it that way........."

Liverpool Lime St never fails to impress.

331001.jpg.570c1f8b034fbe3d700a7da6eec8053d.jpg

Chester is a real mish-mash of styles with what appears to be three or 4 upgrades/add-ons through the lifetime of the station leading to a very disjointed look to it (and highly modellable!)

(Photos are on my main camera and I haven't downloaded them yet)

We later ended up in Manchester looking for a first trip on a new 195 - 195001 did the honours..........

11th and final train of the day - ready at Manchester Victoria - I mentioned to my mate that we hadn't yet ridden a 142 for the day. They have been becoming less regular on my local line.

A perverse wish, but they are to be withdrawn soon and this may be our last chance to sample one.

And then this turns up.

142001.jpg.02b18f6f3694c0eb663bc60c58373db3.jpg

Due to be preserved at the NRM in the original orange/brown of the GMPTE

Two firsts with unit 001 and a (probable) last with another 001......................

Golf Friday was very wet underfoot, but a new course to me at Bracken Ghyll near Skipton and I managed 3rd place on our end of season team outing as well as a spot prize for a nearest the pin.

Busy Saturday - as always playing catchup after 2 days off, but tomorrow should see us very much on top of day to day service/repairs.

This evening was building a tidy version of a little circuit for signal control on my layout.

Put together a few day ago, prototype 1 worked - sort of. It was tweaked last night to make it work properly, but as it was a mish-mash of wires, I wanted a tidier version.

Circuit 2 - in the process of tidying it up and mounting it on veroboard, I managed to connect something incorrectly.  But couldn't trace what it was.

Version 3 - bingo - a four aspect signal cycling red/yellow/double yellow/green with a reset to red from any other aspect, simply by using a centre off switch.

It's been a long time since I've built any projects on veroboard and it's quite satisfying when a plan comes together.

Just need to build another and then install them before Hazel Grove show next weekend.

Enough waffle from me.

Have a good Sunday folks

G'night.

Mick

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Spent an hour or so this afternoon taking the snow tires off the car! I had put them on for a trip into the Interior of BC at the end of September/beginning of October - they're required by law there after October 1. However, we're looking to buy a new car and trade the current one in. The snows are mounted on after-market steel rims, so I was putting on the original wheels, which have summer tires fitted. We'll sell the mounted snows separately - they won't fit the car we're looking to buy.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

41 minutes ago, pH said:

We'll sell the mounted snows separately - they won't fit the car we're looking to buy.

Hope you have more luck than I did. Eventually I put the studded tires with steel rims off MrsID's old Liberty at the end of the drive for the fairy removal service. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5