The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Am back.

DCC mystery deepens, then disappears in a puff of invisible magic smoke.  Took it down to the garage and put it on the Lenz programming track - nada.  Tried another known good loco - still dead-er. Aha. Fixed broken wire on programming track..... :banghead:  Worked perfectly, programmed and ran fine.

Took back to house to play with the SPROG (different programming track....) - perfect.  Read, re-programmed to test, throttle worked fine, everything worked OK.  A gremlin obviously, which has somehow been evicted. Tried other locos - fine.  Tried a different chip in the 05 - fine.  I just hate, as an engineer...yes....but not a chartered one....(but  was AMIMarE) faults that clear without a logical cause having being identified.

So thanks for all the pointers folks, all were sensible suggestions but the cause is yet to reveal itself. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Poets day arrived as a consequence of us actually starting almost on time today (only 10 late) and taking  two and a half hours to arrive at a unanimous verdict so I ended my week of commuting by leaving Reading on the 15.48.  As that was also the end of Week 2 of my civic duty there will be no more commuting to court next week - job done.  And after a week of tackling what the professionals called 'an interesting and unusual case' it will be nice to give the little grey cells a rest and get back to normal everyday nonsense.   The defendant won't be sentenced for a couple of weeks but the judge has invited us to attend if we wish or to call the court to find out what sentence she awards - the tariff for GBH is 9 -16 years and the prosecutor asked for him to be given 12 years.

So back to normal and lots of RMweb to catch up with at some time over the weekend plus various other little tasks connected with our hobby.

Enjoy the rest of your day and I hope the Hippo contingent manage ok with the foods of Japan - just be careful which flavour you chose should you happen to fancy an ice cream (you never know. they might have leek flavour available in honour of your visit?).

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Sorting through a few things today I came across a fold up trolley for carrying suitcases. It must have belonged to my parents so its at least 30 years old. It will come in useful for moving layouts etc. Here's a word for you Hippopotomonstrosequippedaliophobia. HH needn't worry as its not a fear of hippos. 

• Like 8
  • Funny 11

Evening all, what a grey day, cool breeze and threatening rain without actually delivering, watched rugby, a bit one way traffic, had some home made soup using tomatoes and chillies from the greenhouse, always nice when you've grown your grub. Bit of muddling in the afternoon, lots of hedgerows being laid just now, then a running session. Hit the now infamous ringfield motor shuffle, motor going round, loco not moving(an A4 bought second hand with a chip hard wired in), sure enough drive cog slipping on the shaft, now fixed and hauling well, nice to see lots of room in the tender, might try fitting a sound chip later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Oh forgot the trad weather report/moan. 

Mizzly drizzly morning, interspersed with proper rain gave way to a decent afternoon.  It appears to be dark now so I can't tell how it is currently.

I visited Japan quite frequently when I was in the Merch, a country I found really interesting (but not the food - ugh) we intend a visit back when Mrs NHN retires if I am still capable of travelling that far at that time.  I'll be 73. We won't be doing it in one day that's for sure.  Last time back from New Zealand killed me for months.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

So thanks for all the pointers folks, all were sensible suggestions but the cause is yet to reveal itself. 

Sometimes it it can depend on which USB port you plug the SPROG into, the order in which you turn things on and whether or not it’s a full moon.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, BoD said:

Sometimes it it can depend on which USB port you plug the SPROG into, the order in which you turn things on and whether or not it’s a full moon.

It has an assigned port so only works on one, so it must have been the phase of the moon......

• Like 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Wiring  still being done on train set.

Next time I see Steve Flint he is getting an earful. Peco point machines have 3 wires, red , green and black. Since time immemorial black has been common. Not for Peco it isn't.  Green is the new black. Pah!

Control panel nearly finished so some progress has been made. 

Positive thoughts to all who ail.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

42 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Wiring  still being done on train set.

Next time I see Steve Flint he is getting an earful. Peco point machines have 3 wires, red , green and black. Since time immemorial black has been common. Not for Peco it isn't.  Green is the new black. Pah!

Control panel nearly finished so some progress has been made. 

Positive thoughts to all who ail.

Baz

I only use red and black for the track supply. Points have other distinct colours.

The red-green-black is NOT unique to Peco.

Besides that, Steve is the editor of a Peco publication; he may or may NOT represent the technical side of their operation.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the rain finally stopped falling sometime after dinner, then the sun came out for a few minutes then it went dark again, but didn’t rain. 

As predicted, this morning’s Trafford Centre trip was a lot longer than if I’d been on my own, but we were able to get all that was required, so bonus points earned there. The return journey took us via the butchers for our weekly meat rations, I came away with a pastie for my dinner so all was well in the end. 

After dinner we we had a quick trip to Costco and that could have been a lot worse than it was. Home just in time for a mid afternoon muggertea then a quick eyelid inspection was carried out before our guests arrived. However, tonight  James and Amelia were joined by Charlie, which was very nice, as we don’t get to see him now he’s working. 

I probably won’t look in in the morning as I’m off to the Wigan show, Mick, I’ll drop by and say hello. 

Goodnight all 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl, inner Temple Hare, 

4 hours plus 2 hours sleep not too bad. 

Time to get up shortly, walk Ben the I'm still knackered  collie,  breakfast,   I'll set off for the show at 06:00, the doors open for traders and exhibitors at 07:00, I need to be a bit early, manoeuvring a landrover and trailer is not easy in a small car park.

Forecast today cloudy but dry.  Perfect for the show, we've got an old bus running every half hour between the BVR,  and the hall. 

Still looking very very soggy tomorrow. 

Time to.. Rest for another 10 minutes.. 

• Like 17

Good morning one and all

During eight hours at the beer festival yesterday I had some interesting conversations.  One was with a friend of surprisingly long standing who served as a LibDem councillor for 11 years.  Another was with a couple who travelled to Marrakesh and back by train.  I like the sound of that very much but it will have to wait until my savings account has recovered from other demands made on it.  Who will be at the festival today and what seeds will they plant in my mind?

Today the LGBT social group will be meeting  for breakfast.  The original idea was to gather at 10 am.  Now expecting me to wait until nearly lunchtime for breakfast is nothing short of cruelty.  I told them that I would be there at 9 and await their arrival.  Now it appears that there is some sort of promo and at least a few will be there at a more sensible hour.  I will get my money's worth and return to the beer festival at 11.30 for the final spurt.  Today I shall be wearing my second new shirt of the week.  After sporting a Brains shirt that I won on the "shut the gate" stall I now have one which says "Nobody knows I'm a fraud".  I bought it at the Grace Petrie concert on Monday.  Is it appropriate?  You decide!

These new shirts will have to be laundered sooner or later,  That may give a clue as to what I will be doing tomorrow.  Oh joy.

Best wishes to all

Chris

Edited by chrisf
  • Like 12
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Mugatea being drunk. Plans for today...control panel building...

Have a great day!

JoynDMJ.. i have known Steve Flint for over 40 years so I can have a gentle dig when required. Black for common..mmh you must have not have had Triang electric point motors.  The PECO ones don't  make sense ..just saying.

Positive thoughts to all who ail!

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Too late with the warning about ice cream.  We ended up with what is best described as a  trifle in a cone. Fruit jelly and cream, but definitely no ice cream.

Using a JR Pass to get around.  The railways here puts the UK system to shame.

Fast, punctual and clean, plus a high traffic density.

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Rather dull and overcast but the seaweed wranglers say it should stay dry. Will be going out shortly to the Ilford & West Essex showcase. Thats despite a dose of the lurgy, in fact fresh air seems to keep it at bay. Tea has been drunk, be back later.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16