The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, AndyID said:

If you have a hire car (and the time of course) you might take Guardsman Pass from Solitude over to Deer Valley and Park City. Part of the road is gravel but you won't need four-wheel drive. There are lots of great views and alpine meadows and it doesn't take much time.

Unfortunately we wont have a car.  Does sound interesting though. We are at the NMRA convention till Saturday when we fly  elsewhere.

Another good nights sleep after visitng a few new breweries to us plus a few that we havent visited for a while. We just have to be careful as the friend that is with us for fisrt part of the trip cant drink due to his high iron level. Once at the convention though he will no doubt be doing layout visits and clinics during the day and we can go off ot various breweries and meet up later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Therefore, I am appealing to the ERs to help me acquire funds for the creation of a "Liberation Army" to free my models from the ignoble and savage tyranny of Mrs iD's HolzKünstlerin regime. Please send all donations (no matter how large) to:

I can see the answer. With dogs with names sttarting with L and S you need to acquire a third whose name starts with an M.  They would then allow you to access all the boxes that contain green things with bits of copper on them, plus the cream and brown things that they haul. All these appalling items could then be disposed of and a decent set of Red and black things could take their place.  I'm sure that  L M and S would then do their very best to help you.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I can see the answer. With dogs with names sttarting with L and S you need to acquire a third whose name starts with an M.  They would then allow you to access all the boxes that contain green things with bits of copper on them, plus the cream and brown things that they haul. All these appalling items could then be disposed of and a decent set of Red and black things could take their place.  I'm sure that  L M and S would then do their very best to help you.

Jamie

LSW would be a better choice of initials.

image.png.60530379f6c99549a34fc6e880043c81.png

Or BMG, and do it from outside the house

image.png.53830a5ea36b734051338356967bc312.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

Phil being blocked in his own drive reminded me of when I helped MiL. This is before she handed in her driving licence. She lives in a flat with basement parking. She had two places but other people’s stuff had spread into both  her spaces, including a pair of garage doors someone was “looking after”. There was a chap who purely self appointed considered himself “boss of the garage”. I explained that all the crap was where I wanted to put a storage cabinet for MiLs walking frame and other mobility stuff.  He said he would get it sorted. I reminded him that MiL had been politely asking for a while. I then told him not to worry as I would bring the Land Rover down and move it for him. Apparently this did the trick. I didn’t think I was at all threatening. I don’t think I meant to be. I am quite nice. Apparently he wasn’t used to being spoken to “like that”. 

Tony

• Like 10
  • Funny 9

31 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I thought all Swiss houses were designed with bunkers capable of supporting life for generations or launching an attack on any invaders?  

This is certainly true of chez Flavio.   I recognise the folly of coming between husband and wife and can only hope that our dear friend can find a way of purloining the other set of keys or changing the locks.

Chris

• Like 9
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Looks as if the parking situation is sorted but its early days yet. My friends young lad has gone on a school trip until Friday, the first time he has gone away on his own. It involves sleeping in a (docked) lightship for the duration, never had anything like that when I was his age.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

However our main concern is for Paul.  

How would he react if he knew that you knew? Fortunately it sounds as if the friends are saying/doing the right thing. 

Tony

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Tres knackered after first day back at work, but it's not like it's bad work to go back to as in days of yore.

Decision made as to theme of the O gauge, a twig off a branch in the Forest of Dean area (The 'Forest of Nead'....) as the area was plastered in them, with a feed to a colliery at the 'other' end using two exchange sidings, and a siding to a 'processing works' (like the plastics factory at, er , need to look at my book) so vans, maybe a tanker, sort of thing. Kind of.

So that means I will need - a Pannier!  There, I've said it.  I'm out (with apologies to Chris) I am going to model the BR(W) region!  I have an industrial loco I made years ago, and a '350' (08 to younger listeners) although that isn't really appropriate but I like them.  A pannier will come along when the rivetted tank ones come out.  Black early emblem era, some PO wagons with P numbers still around etc.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chrisf said:

Your fixation with pink is beginning to worry me ...

Chris

I'll treat that remark with the contempt it deserves. :onthequiet:

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening.  Tres knackered after first day back at work, but it's not like it's bad work to go back to as in days of yore.

Decision made as to theme of the O gauge, a twig off a branch in the Forest of Dean area (The 'Forest of Nead'....) as the area was plastered in them, with a feed to a colliery at the 'other' end using two exchange sidings, and a siding to a 'processing works' (like the plastics factory at, er , need to look at my book) so vans, maybe a tanker, sort of thing. Kind of.

So that means I will need - a Pannier!  There, I've said it.  I'm out (with apologies to Chris) I am going to model the BR(W) region!  I have an industrial loco I made years ago, and a '350' (08 to younger listeners) although that isn't really appropriate but I like them.  A pannier will come along when the rivetted tank ones come out.  Black early emblem era, some PO wagons with P numbers still around etc.

I may make a small GW layout. I wouldn’t have to spend much. Most of my stock is London Midland BR but I also have various other locos/coaches just because I like them. It will be OO gauge. My larger scale activity (or inactivity to be honest) is 1/48 Narrow gauge.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

A word of warning:  Panniers can be a minefield when it comes to choosing the correct version.

A trip through the various Pannier Papers is worth the time, as is getting a look at Volumes 1 and 2 of Neil Parkhouse's Railways of Gloucestershire.

Afaik, the rivetted varieties were generally built by outside contractors, and tended to have the early cabs. (round windows) and the flatter style of roof.

Ignore the 67xx as they were not vacuum fitted and only intended for yard shunting.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Yup, it's the outside manufactured rivetty one I want - because that's what I want!  Not bothered if that loco wasn't allocated to my imaginary area, as long as it has the right number for the design.  I have several volumes of Pannier Papers....shhhh.....

Edit continuation...  I'm not so keen on the 'modern' 8750 type of cab, although in time if funds allow a second one will be of that configuration, just for variety.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Yup, it's the outside manufactured rivetty one I want - because that's what I want!  Not bothered if that loco wasn't allocated to my imaginary area, as long as it has the right number for the design.  I have several volumes of Pannier Papers....shhhh.....

Rule No 1 implemented! 

• Like 7
  • Agree 8