The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Simon G said:

Today we are on the train into London to go and watch Les Miserables, so will have the pleasure (!?) of travelling on a new Thameslink class 700.  I am looking forward to Les Mis as well!

At least you aren't attempting Euston today :mocking_mini::mocking_mini::mocking_mini: Simon. Enjoy The Grimms, it is quite a show (or was when I took SWMBO a couple of years back). What's a Thameslink Class 700? Boiler pressure? How much superheat? Tractive effort? Wheel arrangement? Weight of coal carried?

Sympathies to GDB and his doubly knackered knee, I see an enforced period of Fez v Feathers coming on, hopefully Mrs GDB will ensure you are comfortably esconced with a mound of pies and well-hopped liquid.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

After a brief lie-in this morning along with breakfast in bed, I’m now sat in the kitchen with muggertea No2. Once that’s finished I’m off to the workshop to enjoy the sunshine (while it lasts). 

Back later

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Sounds like GDB needs to take a complete rest and be waited on hand & foot for a few days to give the knee a chance - should we send a note to his management I wonder?

Whilst I really like and completely agree with that sentiment Mike I can imagine the reaction that that would get. However some sympathy has been offered and she is doing a bit of fetching and carrying for me although just now she said "I thought you were going to fit those blinds in your shed today!"  :banghead:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Whilst I really like and completely agree with that sentiment Mike I can imagine the reaction that that would get. However some sympathy has been offered and she is doing a bit of fetching and carrying for me although just now she said "I thought you were going to fit those blinds in your shed today!"  :banghead:

I would love to be able to give you a "like" AND a "laughter" vote but that is not possible unless written - something like the lack of potential to award a "groan" vote when humour requires such. 

Repairs to Grandson No2's headphones proved beyond me so I have had to order a replacement and curse my failing eyesight / new Specsavers glasses PLUS large, illuminated magnifying glass. Efforts have been focused instead on making watertight low-voltage power connections for son's astro-photography set-up and pleased to report that task has been accomplishment. I will venture out and plant some herbs in my new bodgit-and-scarper raised vegetable trug, hopefully to harvest over the coming months as the local lamb isn't grazed on mint and the pasta farm doesn't water its crops with basil either.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

May the Fourth be with you:

Found this while searching for a similar one featuring some druids I know, but this was a better image.

Cold and windy here at The Gateway to The World, a good drying day, so the laundry beckons.

Other tasks may be accomplished over the holiday weekend, some possibly outside if it warms up enough.

Have a good day

Pete

• Like 16
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Not a lot done this morning other than eat breakfast.

Rugby at school was taught by those teachers who were “...and games”. They seemed to be the kind of person who couldn’t find an excuse to hit children during their main subject teaching so helped out in rugby. I think the visual appearance of Shrek was based on a couple of them. I opted for cross country running or in my case “walk round the park”. By the time I started teaching that sort of games teacher was extinct. Well they were extinct as sports teachers but had been promoted to pastoral care posts or in charge of mini bus keys. 

I suppose I should start moving furniture and dust sheets to start the other end of the study. I broke Aditi’s step stool yesterday. It clearly doesn’t meet its weight capacity. 

Tony 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

The last game of rugby I was forced to plat was 54 years ago at school. They relealised I was so carp they left me out of teams.

Worked for me as well, always preferred cross country. Not good at team sports. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Afternoon all, well I'm just back for a low level wander in the Glens, snowing quite heavily, Glen Esk is my local and this time of year I am usually photographing reptiles, Adders and Slow Worms, but not today, spent a fair bit of time in the bothy bletherin'  with some Anglers taking shelter, not very spring like lol.

I played a bit of Veterans rugby after I hung up my boots, a lot less energetic, but funnily enough often with more fights, I began as a number 6/8 then migrated as I got fatter and slower through the second row ending up as a loosehead prop for a bit. I still think I could show 'em how to play, but I think my knees and arthritic spine might just complain lol.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Match umpired...it was absolutely freezing. Just starting to warm up despite 3 mugsadecaf.

My last rugby game was 40 years ago. As I used to play two matches a day from 13 to 18 my knees are shot. I gave up on a day where it was snowing, freezing cold and a boring game v Otley 3rds.

Need to cut a carpet so TTFN

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Would you like me to write a note for you? 

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

So you like them, Ian?

I would be banned if I said what I really think of them but if cattle where to be carried they would be done for cruelty. I reckon that they had seats designed specifically to make class 800s look good, talking of which we will have to endure them tomorrow under the Severn.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear where did the afternoon go I made lunch and watches some snooker to get comfortable I reclined the sofa just tad and zonk. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 

Better start moving or I will be in the dog house, probably there already. :dontknow:

GDB make the most of what you can get today tomorrow your Boss will have you going out for the bread. :bye_mini:

• Like 11
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I played rugby at school (sadly) but on the bright side they soon realised that I was crap to say the least and was allowed to play tennis instead. Funny that number 2 son excelled at rugby and went on to play for the county at under 15 and 16 level before sustaining a neck injury which caused him to pack it in. His skills did not come from me!

Just spent best part of an hour searching the shed floor, I had painted a Dart castings model of  a fisherman and on coming to glue the fishing rod in place it pinged out of my hand onto the floor. On the point of giving up I came across said fishing rod and have now glued in place! I also found  2 10p coins and a 50p how they got there is beyond me!

Enjoy the weekend folks

Alan

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,  

Plans carried out,  although I did the trim first which turned out to be a good idea,  as since then it's been rain hail wind and just occasionally sunshine. Sometimes all at the same time. 

Floor boards were painted on the underside before installation,  using paint leftovers. Somehow there was half a tub of light magnolia where that came from I don't know.  It's a colour I swore I'd never have as it was used in every room in the military. Also under the boards are a light chocolate and canary yellow. 

The during a sunny interlude I hacksawed off a retaining pin ,for my tow ball and pin.  It had rusted solid hammering couldn't shift it. Tomorrow I may need to use the pin for a ring tow hitch. I'll have to drill out the retainer remains later. 

Rugby,  like all sports, you played when you were told to at school or training in the RAF, . I successfully avoided being selected for any team except cricket at school,  where I stood in the outfield watching the play.  Or sailing and volleyball  in the RAF, both which involve no running around or close bodily contact. 

Currently wrapped up warm,  with a hot bottle under the covers,  the fire has been lit, and dinner is on its way. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Returned from a visit to a certain emporium in Chelmsford clutching a pack of 009 Setrack for a certain young mans layout. A slight problem is that the baseboard required will need to be larger than that envisaged however its a stock size as produced by Tim Horn so I think thats the way we'll go. Now for a mug of tea and a brace of paracetamols, the changeable weather and a certain Arthur Itis is having a party and invited all his friends along.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Returned from a visit to a certain emporium in Chelmsford clutching a pack of 009 Setrack for a certain young mans layout. A slight problem is that the baseboard required will need to be larger than that envisaged however its a stock size as produced by Tim Horn so I think thats the way we'll go. Now for a mug of tea and a brace of paracetamols, the changeable weather and a certain Arthur Itis is having a party and invited all his friends along.

If the certain emporium in Chelmsford was John Dutfield I think they deserve a mention by name. They are a proper shop and although I haven’t been for a while to check,  very nice people. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

And there I was thinking you were limbering up for a trial with a rugby XV.

After Biggles' (Dave Hunt) suggestion of  having a go, perhaps we ought to have an ERs All Stars XV.

You me and the Bishop in the front row

Biggles snapping at our heels and keeping us in line.........................

.............Olddudders as a Jaques Brunel style rugby coach.................

What could possible go wrong?

I'm a little stiff from rugby.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

If the certain emporium in Chelmsford was John Dutfield I think they deserve a mention by name. They are a proper shop and although I haven’t been for a while to check,  very nice people. 

It was indeed but I was mindful of the awl.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2