The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Guest Max Stafford

Mick, just remember to keep two seconds or more between you and the guy in front and you should stay safe. It's pretty foggy up here too so give yourself a bit more space if you can!

In work at 12 for a 12 hour shift herding feral kids to and from the local firework display and keeping the lid on things as Northern try to shoehorn 600 of them into a couple of 153s like last year. I wonder if they'll bother doing barrier checks.

Not holding my breath...

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

I know DD. That's why I juke into the inside lane most of the time, let the rocket-men fly past on the outside!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

We were in two torrential rainstorms in Germany this year, so heavy that visibility was down to about the length of the bonnet and this was daytime. In the past I've always felt that Autobahn drivers go too fast in the wet but fortunately on these occasions everyone was very sensible. Still scary though. I hate being the last person in the queue when you can see (in the rear view mirror) and you see someone behind approaching fast not apparently looking at the traffic.

I will start putting stuff away soon (honest) but I'm still putting the dining room furniture security fittings to the wall. Not security as in anti-theft but anti-topple. I connected the TV and satellite receiver back together but the music stuff is a "challenging" job. Aditi wondered if we should take the opportunity to get some new speakers (the present ones are 30+ year old Tannoy) that better match other furniture. I suggested some but the £4000+ price was not sensible. We will probably keep the existing ones!

Tony

I will start putting stuff away soon (honest) but I'm still putting the dining room furniture security fittings to the wall. Not security as in anti-theft but anti-topple. I connected the TV and satellite receiver back together but the music stuff is a "challenging" job. Aditi wondered if we should take the opportunity to get some new speakers (the present ones are 30+ year old Tannoy) that better match other furniture. I suggested some but the £4000+ price was not sensible. We will probably keep the existing ones!

Tony

Useful in case of the earthquakes prevalent in Essex. Remember Colchester 1884!

Beiieve me, keep the Tannoys. There's a swing from Pros towards vintage speakers - so long as they are in good nick, soundwise. So-called "Pre-Rola" Celestions are very collectable.

Best, Pete.

Evening all,

It's a crazy world. I am sitting on my terrace at the beginning of November, waiting for the Barbeque to warm up and drinking a cold beer.

We have an Easterly wind, so the planes are flying over. I've just seen an A380.

• RMweb Gold

Beiieve me, keep the Tannoys. There's a swing from Pros towards vintage speakers - so long as they are in good nick, soundwise. So-called "Pre-Rola" Celestions are very collectable.

Everything seems to be fashionable eventually! I've been told that my furniture, carpet colour and paint scheme are "in fashion", though when we chose similar items 30 years ago they were dull and unfashionable.

The Tannoy speakers were the stereo pair for my previous music system but when the amp started failing, I replaced it with a Sony Home Cinema receiver and added a few extra speakers, nothing too expensive. The Tannoy speakers are rated at 50watt but I suspect these are proper watts. The centre speaker according to the label has a "sinus" (nose blowing rather than mind blowing) power rating of 70

watt but doesn't handle power so realistically as the left and right speakers, though it doesn't matter for music as I usually listen to that in stereo.

I shall tell my brother that his late 1970s hifi may be desirable again. I think his speakers were and are KEF104AB though I'm certain he only uses them for music as they are in his "study" not the lounge where he has more modern stuff. I think he has signal analysers instead of ears but I'm happy if it doesn't rattle and hum too much!

• RMweb Premium

I've often thought of getting one of those LED displays for the rear window to turn on when people get close with "Get the hell off my back bumper" on it...

I've had this kind of idea myself, Mike. If it wouldn't cause me any legal trouble, I but would prefer to have it show, "Police - Follow Me" or something like that... :D

A guy I know once told me he had installed an app on his smartphone allowing the display to flash in any desired colour. Driving home one night, he encountered a bunch of chavs BS'ing in the street, and set his phone's display to flash in blue, then holding it behind his windscreen. Cue said chavs disperse like a flock of birds... :lol:

• RMweb Gold

For some reasons the rattles and hums on my speakers have been replaced by fizzes, whizzes and bangs tonight. Appropriately Handel is on the radio. I'm not sure what watts are what. I seem to have had them a long time. They must have belonged to a Mr Mordaunt-Short at one time. He has writ his name on the front.

• RMweb Premium

My KEF Cadenzas were banished to the loft by SWMBO many years ago as being too big and ugly. I resisted attempts to get them consigned to the tip and they now reside in my shed and produce a rather splendid sound.

Cheers

Dave

Speakers are interesting.

If you have four or more speakers in a room but only use two at a time take out the other speakers because they have a detrimental effect on the speakers that are "playing" - don't believe me? Try it!

Invite someone around with good ears to listen to the new speakers they recommended. Play through them but have a (quiet) bladed fan on in the room - this is particularly good to use against people who have perfect pitch.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Went to Carlisle the fog had wasted away by the time we got there. What is it about being overtaken slowly by a people carrier? I am sure one guy in an old BMW was beaten up by his wife to stop him chasing after us again.

Good early Sunday morning ERs.

I hope the BBQ was enjoyable Robert. Was Thomas there and did he make and/or light the fire?

Partly cloudy but pleasant weather, so far.

Ready for Church, so I'll log in again afterwards to see if anybody else has woken up.

We survived WWIII last night. In our company, the wild cat barely raised an eyelash.

I don't think fireworks are worth the price paid in human cost anymore.

There's even a theory that a firework show caused the motorway crash.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Sun is rising for a rather autumnal Sunday. Yesterday's trip went well, and we also did a short trip to Forbach just across the French border, but did not find the supermarket we had been looking for. Oh well, at least I got a look-around at the station, which but isn't the busiest in terms of passenger traffic, it would seem - on a Saturday at least.

dsc06745y.jpg

This here's a Z 24500 type double deck EMU. There also were a number of ECR Eurosheds stabled further in the background, plus a Z 27500 type EMU.

Have a good one, guys.

Morning All,

No fireworks here either last night. I used to let a few off on November 5th, until I found out that I was supposed to get permission to set off fireworks on any night other than New Years Eve!

The morning has dawned clear and bright here.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

We are off to Leicester today. It is Aditi's birthday and her ideal present is to see Matthew. We will take him out to lunch somewhere. I believe that he has a few restaurants he likes. The weather is a bit dull but not unpleasant.

Mick, I don't think I'll be offending anyone by overtaking today, though I do know what you mean, when we had a Scenic it did seem that we had to "know our place". The Astra GTE 16V (do you remember the days of "hot" hatchbacks) we had before that seemed to attract overtaking by cars that were determined to pass us. Fortunately now that we have a black 4x4 it doesn't seem to attract any animosity from other drivers.

Tony