The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not sure of going out this evening as my friend who goes with me is having problems with his 16 year old daughter. Last night she didn't even go to bed instead she spent all night playing on her X-box. As a result he removed said X-box and her mobile. Last time this happened and he went out he found that she had caused some damage so he daren't leave her on her own.

16 is a very tricky age and every family handles things differently. Has you friend tried to find out what's going on with his daughter? Taking the X-box away can be seen as ramping things up. Very difficult to handle, though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That part was very well done.   There is particular resentment by all county Police forces against The Met, often for very good reasons.  The other big factor is non compatibility of IT systems. There was a Home Office sponsored system called HOLMES (Home Office Large Major Enquiry System) and the stupid fools had allowed 4 different IT companies to develop their own versions of  it and then sell the completed system back to the 43 forces.   Plotting them on a map I think there were only 2 pairs of forces that could actually link their HOLMES systems.  The Met also often didn't use HOLMES which actually came about after the problem with the Yorkshire Ripper.  Many major enquiries did turn on such things as people taking an interest. They also missed things.   Sutcliffe (The Ripper) was suggested at least 4 times by various detectives but these never got actioned.  The good thing is that in the end the Officers who interviewed Sutcliffe was one of those who had put his name forward earlier.    

Martin Clunes did play the part very well I thought.

Jamie

It used to be just the same among the various police forces in the West Country and the things they said about each other didn't bear repeating although all of them seemed united in condemnation of Wiltshire as some sort of country bumpkins.  But it wasn't just the police - the Fire Service was far more cohesive within itself including between different authorities but their usual summary of the other emergency services was 'WE are the professionals' and on exercises it definitely showed that way although the unfortunately too pompous senior officers were their own worst enemies in that respect.  Interestingly having been involved in running an exercise for Navy (for an Admiral's Inspection of RNAS Yeovilton) there was a very telling comment from a Commander assessing the exercise when the first RN firecrew turned up as he said 'now the professionals have arrived, watch this'  - and i had to stop them tearing to pieces some condemned stock we were using for the exercise as I didn't want any windows broken and they were itching to break some and cut through some coach bodysides  to get to casualties.

But in the end the laugh was on them as they had to bring a big 6-wheeler airfield fire tender with them to cover the helicopters being used to evacuate casualties and they got it bogged down in the field and had to pump its entire supply of foam to get it out, the farmer wasn't particularly amused.  In the meanwhile I learnt an awful lot about how to manage helos attending an emergency (and so did their ground control officer - from the assessing Commander); 6 Wessex in an echeloned 'stack were awful noisy.

• Like 14

Evening all, as Dixon would say,

Didn't watch Manhunt but looks like we should have. Can always go on the ITVhub thingy.

What we did see was the second episode of Les Miserables which was much better than the first; never quite realised that Victor Hugo was so clued onto social issues, a few decades before Dickens.

Watched Luther, which was preposterous; and pleased to see Silent Witness return with a good story. Problem is that forensics has been cut back - and how many teams get days to work on one case? But disbelief suspended, enjoyed it.

Hope your evenings go well

Mal

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Sorry to read your news, Michael.

AndrewC, do you think the socks find their way to Zaphod Beeblebrox's second hand biro business?  Maybe he's branching out.

Jamie, a friend of mine in WY (no names...husband of the person I have mentioned previously in our chats) spoke to Sutcliffe in an exercise when they were stopping cars in the area - car version of a door-to-door - and reported him as being dodgy (the well developed coppers gut feeling) but with nothing to link him with anything at the time.  He admitted to feeling quite odd when it turned out to be him. 

TFI Friday - well it is for me.....OF's bike club tomorrow, a friend I have supported through a really difficult week or two should be there for a good chat.  Wrongly accused of something, accuser now being done for wasting police time.  Too much blue serge going on tonight!  Even Blaketon and Ventriss are on Antiques Lies Show.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

The Good Doctor has duly returned from hospital and seems to be somewhat brighter than she was after the previous surgery (for the same thing on the opposite shoulder) so presumably they knew exactly what dose of knock out drops to give her this time.  But she's not going to have any dinner withe the rest of us.   This time her right hand is the one out of use and it will again be 6 weeks signed off work then light duties to start when she goes back,  so she might well accompany me to the Alton show next month all being well.

• RMweb Gold

I watched Luther from start to finish as I always like to finish what I've started. What a mistake that was. Each day I thought it couldn't get any worse. It did.

Now restricting my viewing to anything railway related and truck rescue things like Highway Thru Hell and similar with the occasional dose of comedy - if I can find some.

Oh and of course Rugby!

PS> Tony, I lost the plot, a lot, many years ago. :senile:  :wild:  :crazy:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for your losses Ozexpatriate

The building is on the raised flood bank, there is a vast lower fen / marsh behind it, the flood shown is about as high as it will get.

It's around ten miles inland (by river) and the tide will have taken about two hours to come in from the coast, 14 Miles further up river is where I normally sail and the tide is 4 hours behind coastal tides.

The Broads authority Previously had a visitor centre, and had to sell it on as they couldn't make it pay. Those of us paying the river toll to use  boats on the broads suspect it will be another white elephant, the elephant isn't In the room, it is the room. So it may well come up for sale in the future, start saving your muddling money!!!

Broads tolls for boats are calculated on the block (length overall X width) square meterage of the boat then a multiplier depending whether you are a motor boat , sailing boat, etc

So my 16ft sailing boat will come out around 58pounds,

And my 27ft motor boat about 270pounds (including the 30% discount for being electric powered.)

If you turn up in an inflatable canoe or rowing boat they'll have 27 pounds off of you.

Oh and none of the above can be on the water without 2 million pounds in 3rd party insurance..

Perihelion  and aphelion form part of Milankovitch theory, which can be proved. This shows we have just been through a very stable period of earth temperature variation, even without mans help we are on an increasing scale of temperature variation. The predictions show we have been on an increasing temperature cycle for most of the last 50 years, we are now into a declining temperature  cycle for the next 30 ish  years.

Edited by TheQ

Mum had a fall in early Nov and the scan yesterday showed that the brain bleed had increased to some extent. Neuro surgeons want her to go to Derriford, Plymouth asap tomorrow to see her and decide a course of action.

Birthday takeaway meal just finished but I'll cancel the couple of whiskies later until another time.

"Temps plunge as northern US braces for deep freeze" says the headline.

That's odd. I'm about as far north as you can go and it's 8C here.  Evidently the US stops at Chicago :)

EDIT: There's a similar problem over here. People in eastern Washington sometimes refer to the "Cascade Curtain" between the east the west sides of the state.

Edited by AndyID

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Not been a good year so far. The cold settled and is only now lifting slowly with regular loud and occasionally painful attempts to shift the clag by way of coughing.

SWMBO acquired the cold but has had some severe pains with it. These she attributes to gall stones. In consequence she has spent much of the week asleep while I struggled back to work, came home, checked on her and then took my own recuperative snooze.

Nothing much has been done which should have been done. Cleaning, non-essential shopping and various non-remunerative support functions have been deferred.

Tonight she fell asleep on the sofa waiting for dinner then growled at me for waking her when it arrived. She didn’t eat straight away and dropped back to sleep while I ate only to wake and request hers just as I finished. For some reason I found that irritating though the sharp exchange which ensued was very short.

She saw a doctor this morning but has to await test appointments and then results.

I find myself badly in need of someone to relax with over a drink but there’s no-one around. Maybe tomorrow night. Failing which I might just wander off to a local house of falling-down waters alone.

Off to bed now. Sleep would be good. Brain seems to be churning away madly. Wish me luck.

The Good Doctor has duly returned from hospital and seems to be somewhat brighter than she was after the previous surgery (for the same thing on the opposite shoulder) so presumably they knew exactly what dose of knock out drops to give her this time.  But she's not going to have any dinner withe the rest of us.   This time her right hand is the one out of use and it will again be 6 weeks signed off work then light duties to start when she goes back,  so she might well accompany me to the Alton show next month all being well.

Excuse my ignorance, but would The Good Doctor previously been known in this parish as The Stationmaster's Cat?

IIRC, my first encounter with you and aforementioned cat was at Warley when we gathered at the centrepiece loco of the year before the decision to meet at the 'Spoons.

• Like 16

Happy birthday, lightengine. Hope that surgeons are able to help your mum tomorrow.

Michael, very sorry to hear your news. You must talk to someone; it's horrible when something like this happens.

I'd offer to go for a beer or two with you, Rick, but it's a wee bit far...

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 3

They say the World is getting smaller, but I'm not so sure.

I thought it would be nice to send calendars to my brothers twain in the UK. I had to hunt around a bit to find calendars with local images, but I did eventually find some and they were quite nice too - about $12 each. We packaged them up carefully, even attaching them to foam board with cling-film to prevent enknackerment during their long journey.

MrsID took them to the PO today. The cost to ship them was more than $50 (for both).

NFW! I'll take pix and email them "This is the calendar I was going to send you, but..."

• RMweb Gold

Do pass on our best wishes please Mike - especially from Donk.

Many thanks to you both and Donk, I will pass on the message on the morrow as she has slunk off to her bed (not surprisingly.

Excuse my ignorance, but would The Good Doctor previously been known in this parish as The Stationmaster's Cat?

IIRC, my first encounter with you and aforementioned cat was at Warley when we gathered at the centrepiece loco of the year before the decision to meet at the 'Spoons.

One and the same John, and yes you did indeed meet her at Warley one year although that was before she became a Doctor.  Station (or Stationmaster's) Cat is her s/n on here although nowadays she visits rarely but I refer to her as The Good Doctor because she is one (PhD in naval history).  As some here know she was unable to find employment in academia so Tesco pay her a wage for butchering meat and doing whatever you do to fish before selling it to the punters but in her own time she is on the governing board of a society which promotes seamanship and is the editor of their journal (which is a subscription only publication) as well as keeping up her academic studies writing articles for said magazine.  

Today was her second operation to remove cartilage between the shoulder bone and collar bone to free up the movement of the tendons, she had the other side done last year. Originally thought to be a rugby injury on both sides but there might be other causes.

Another early night and hopefully one with more sleep than the past few.

G'night all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They say the World is getting smaller, but I'm not so sure.

I thought it would be nice to send calendars to my brothers twain in the UK. I had to hunt around a bit to find calendars with local images, but I did eventually find some and they were quite nice too - about $12 each. We packaged them up carefully, even attaching them to foam board with cling-film to prevent enknackerment during their long journey.

MrsID took them to the PO today. The cost to ship them was more than $50 (for both).

NFW! I'll take pix and email them "This is the calendar I was going to send you, but..."

Aditi sent socks to her uncle in California. Postage was just over £3
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not going out tonight I watched 'Death in paradise', saved me having to find time to watch it on I-Player.

16 is a very tricky age and every family handles things differently. Has you friend tried to find out what's going on with his daughter? Taking the X-box away can be seen as ramping things up. Very difficult to handle, though.

The problem is that not only does she have a mental age of about nine she is also severely autistic. This is compounded by the mother not being present (parents are divorced) and having little interest in her or her siblings.

Evening all,

Busy day today. Visit to the vet about my knee plus bloods form and prescription. Then a friend came round and we laid about 40 ft of track in the garage. Didn't watch tv but drafted (and now have to type) my report for the South Western Committee meeting on Saturday. Shaved and bathed ready for an early start to St Evenage - also there Sunday.

Keep well all, Bill

• Like 13