The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Just popped in for a quick muggertea. Whilst drinking it it I gave Peters Spares a call and I spoke to a very nice and helpful assistant. Apparently, my order went through, but there was no record of payment, which I soon sorted out, so hopefully it will be with me in the next few days.

Now back to the workshop.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Didn't hear the bin wagons dawn chorus this morning as it was drowned out by the people removing a rather large fir tree from a garden just around the corner, they are then proceding to reduce it to sawdust. They started about half past seven this morning and are still at it I am in complete agreement with GDB on that score. Also this morning I observed a bright salmon pink object placed with my bin bags this morning, it had been placed there some time overnight. upon examination it turned out to be a fake C********s tree (I didn't think that bright salmon pink fir trees were natural) about two feet tall, all wired up with LED's and a battery pack. The bin men left it behind and I don't blame them. I think my friend, Brian (Wheels) Stubbles tops the lot when he tried to boil an egg in a microwave. I can imagine what his other half said to him when she got home but it cost him a new microwave. Muggatee awaits, be back later.

• RMweb Premium

Prescriptions obtained! Result!  BUT new set of metal forming tablets delivered..just in time for the festivities. Pah!

Good luck Black Rat. My sister had a back operation recently. It is working out ell now but she did have a bit lot of discomfort for 4 weeks.

Now back to sorting out "motorising signals"...

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

One of my pleasures in life is jigsaws.   At the moment I'm doing one based on a still from Topgun.    I'm having particular trouble finding the pieces that make up the derriere of a certain Ms McGillis.   For some reason my thoughts keep wandering.

I hope this picture helps in your quest to find her derriere.

Top-Gun-Kelly-McGillis-1378483.jpg?r=153

• RMweb Gold

Good Afternoon all.

I am lately returned from last evening’s sloth-hunting sortie. Sloths located = zero; slothful humans encountered = three.

Something must have been amiss with The Force this morning as not only did every train I was responsible for run but all did so within 2 minutes of advertised time and very nearly all departed precisely on time. One for the diary, that.

Misroute of the Day Award goes to the couple who approached me asking for the train to Westfield. We get an increasing number of such enquiries such is the power of the brand these days. We serve two Westfield shopping centres directly so I asked Stratford or White City? “Shepherd’s Well” came the reply!!! Thinking they required White City for which the station is Shepherd’s Bush I checked with them. No - definitely Shepherd’s Well. They showed me their tickets as evidence. Returns from Brighton to Shepherd’s Well Not Via London Terminals.

I know a little about Shepherd’s Well. It is, as I mentioned to Mr. & Mrs. Misroute, a quite modest village in east Kent near Dover. Is that where they really wanted to be? It is also where we keep a couple of our historic 4Cor coaches. They had no idea where “Westfield” might be. I directed them to the booking office to have a ticketing error resolved and advised that their train to Shepherd’s Bush would leave from platform 1. Exit somewhat bemused couple who at least were not simply sent to Victoria to board the next Dover stopping service to their booked destination!

Best wishes to Neil today. Kind thoughts to all.

Are there even any shops left in Shepherds Well??

Afternoon all from a very sunny but cold Surrey. Been a morning of finally emptying all the bits from the old tool box and putting them into the correct little storage boxes including separating Bulleid Pacific detail bits into 4 separate boxes so they are easier to locate when required. Just need to find a suitable location (that I wont forget) for old turnout blades that I filed down myself many years ago so were kept when that layout was dismantled.

Then its off to town to collect $$ whilst the rate is slightly better than it has been for a while.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

<snip>......Jamie - I too enjoy the challenge of a jigsaw puzzle, and particularly like the Wentworth puzzles, which are very difficult, due to the way they're cut, the fact that not all the borders are straight pieces, there are corners which are bisected, so don't look like corners, and straight edges on pieces within the body of the puzzle, and also "whimsy" pieces.....<snip>

Hello all,

For those who like the Wentworth puzzles - see if you can find this fellow, Gerald Savine, at railway exhibitions. When I last saw him, two of his paintings have appeared as Wentworth puzzles; SBB Ae6/6 on the Gotthard spirals, and Class 4MT 80078 at Corfe Station. He usually has a few for sale at shows he attends.

Dave

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I have to say that Richards tag-line appearing under that picture, is a little unfortunate ! Poor woman!

She does not seem to have been recruited for the sequel film (which some folk will no doubt regard as some sort of '.....ism')

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a859315/top-gun-2-maverick-cast-trailer-release-date-plot-spoilers/

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The tree gang only departed when it got dark leaving a massive pile of logs, I'm not sure that they've finished yet. The tree in question was a scots pine at least 80 foot tall but planted only a few feet from the house. The smaller pink tree has gone, I know not where and care even less. Whilst I went to Tesco's I visited the Go Outdoors outlet next door to see if I could get a gilet, unfortunately they only have the ones with the outside pockets at the moment but I have been informed that they do have the ones I prefer in stock from time to time. They have a sale on at the moment and the prices are very low so I was tempted, I might go back there for another look soon. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 16

BIN day - urgent task last evening LATE as we'd forgotten to get them kerbside for the morning pickup garbage truck parade.

"en retard.." no particular reason, managed to be pre-occupied with some confusing email first thing, instead of the proper task of checking RMweb and reporting in.

Nothing really to report however, another quiet day working and no other post work stimuli.

Choir practice this evening after the usual happy-hour libations to fortify certain members of the choir for the task.

-5 this AM and fog/drizzle/light snow/assorted carp. Expected to manage ZERO later.

Hope the day is good as it can be for everyone.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all!

a sort of bitsandbobs day.

My mentee rang early to apologise as he couldn't make his meeting tonight. Shame as he seems like a great engineer.

Read teh railway toddler (Jan 2019 edition) today.Some nice photos of Carlisle together with some of the locos and stock I have weathered/fitted sound to for it.

Now, time for a glass (or two) of wine..

baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Yes. The East Kent Railway operates one ;)

I nearly did put that as an exclusion but yes :sungum:

$$$ acquired but they didnt have any 20's so all in 10's and 5's so I do feel quite well off looking at the pile despite the rate dropping from this morning a little bit not that it will make much difference at the current levels - it aint gonna be a cheap trip.

The planned trip to meet other half in Wetherspoons didnt go so well, as it was wedged at the bar with the usual low key service and then the thought of all the Brexit propaganda on the tables put me off so retreated to a proper pub and excellent Harveys ales with Soiuthern style flat head and exhorbitant prices but not bad for us Southerners :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Mega cockwomble on the way to work this morning - pulled out behind him in Ramsey on the TT course road, no lights on. Flashed and flashed, no result.  Flashed the lights at him too……  He got to the end of the street lighting, slowed to about 20 for about a quarter of a mile, weaving about (its pitch black dark....) then tadaaaa lights came on and he belted off. P!ssed from last night still probably.  Words fail me.

Evening all, been away visiting my mother in Berkshire for a few days. Very stressful, as she has dementia and Alzheimer’s and is determined to carry on driving, even though she hasn’t told the DVLA. My brothers and I have got it in the neck for taking away her car keys and cancelling her insurance, at least until the DVLA issue is sorted.

I returned home on the trains today, which didn’t help my stress levels when I got to Birmingham New Street, and my train to Carlisle was cancelled, as there had been a person hit by a train between New Street and Birmingham International. I quickly found a train going to Liverpool planning to get off at Crewe, only to find it was terminating at Crewe due to an incident near Runcorn. Then I found that my cancelled train to Carlisle had clearly been rerouted away from the Birmingham chaos, and was 10 minutes behind, so I manage to catch it up to Carlisle, wait there for an hour, then suffer the grindingly slow journey back down the Cumbrian Coast line.

At least I saw a steam loco today, Rood Ashton Hall I think, in steam at Tyseley, as my train went passed. I was peeved to miss one yesterday, when the Cathdedrals Express from London to Worcester went right past my mother’s house, and I never heard it. I only found out about it on its return when I did hear it, but it was pitch dark by then, so I couldn’t see a thing.

After all this, a large whisky was called for, to be followed by another. I now feel slightly more relaxed. The relaxation will disappear tomorrow when I plan to visit a friend whose wife passed away 2 weeks ago, but we never found out until while I was away down south this week. She had apparently been diagnosed with cancer very recently and there was nothing to be done. We knew nothing about the cancer. A real shock!

• RMweb Premium

A quiet evening here.  SWMBO slightly late from work due to seasonal pressures and a need to get ahead before an early finish for staff drinks tomorrow.  After dinner she played some ukulele and recorded a new (for her) song - Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over"

Chatted electronically with sister who professed to having a frazzled brain.  I suggested laying off the Frazzles might help.  She suggested it might help if I laid off such suggestions!  Had a cuppa with Neighbour (Upstairs) who was preparing to host male company and required some nerves calming.  Three hours later she required temper calming when male company had failed to materialise.  

We have proposed drinks tomorrow with a group of friends by way of celebrating friendship and Christmas and (in her case) drowning some strong feelings.  Most of our student neighbours depart this weekend; one remains upstairs for a further week and then it will be quieter than ever for a couple of weeks.

It is time to commence eyelid inspection with hopes of sleeping.  Good night all.

• Like 17