The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Hmm. I blame GDB.

Something O Gauge is on its way.

Shunty-planky thoughts now raging out of control, bought a loco that is totally inappropriate timescale-wise for the grouping era stock I have, and do I care?  Nah - Rule 1. I need something to kick start my modelling mojo, I hope this is it! 

Lovely to see that two ER's have finally seen the light, though your wallets will also be lightened.

Or drive up to Calgary or Vancouver and fly non-stop to Glasgow with Air Transat. (Summer only, though.)

I wouldn't fly with them even if they paid me.  We did Manchester Vancouver return once and never again, cramped seats and an awful long time.   Weren't they the airline that had one of their planes run out of fuel mid atlantic and it had to glide to the Azores.

Anyway a good day ahs been had.   The post brought a large envelope from our daughter which had a load of little brass items from Laurie Griffin among it's contents.

Goodnight all.

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I've been examining today's purchase. The case is held together by screws, dozens of them. Not only that they are a mix of single slot and crosshead screws under several coats of paint. Luckily the back is not painted and should come off easily. I'll keep you posted on progress.

Fisher Price Garage?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't fly with them even if they paid me. We did Manchester Vancouver return once and never again, cramped seats and an awful long time. Weren't they the airline that had one of their planes run out of fuel mid atlantic and it had to glide to the Azores.

Goodnight all.

Jamie

We had no problems with Air Transat. We went from Gatwick to Calgary and back. Matthew used them too though his last flight to Cansda was on WestJet from Dublin. Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

I’ve had quite a productive day in the workshop today. The modifications to the8F chassis has been completed and the chassis rebuilt and all missing screws replaced from those found in the spares box. I refitted the pick-ups and that was when I noticed that they didn’t quite touch the wheels properly. Upon closer inspection I noticed that they had at some time been placed on the loco reversed. So I swapped the wiring over and then placed them back correctly, resulting in better wheel contact. New lubrication was placed on all the bearings and gears and then power was applied directly to the motor and everything ran well, very well. The next step will be to refit the and rewire the DCC socket then try the loco on the track. Considering I got this relatively cheap as a non runner, so far it’s cost me nothing more than a few hours work to get it to this stage, so I’m a happy bunny.

On Thursday morning on her way home from her Zumba class, Sheila stopped off at the local bookshop and ordered a couple of railway related books for me. Yesterday afternoon she got a text saying that they were in. So after I’d finished in the workshop I got changed and went to pick them up. I could have got them of the Internet, but as the site of large ladies didn’t discount either of these books, the local shop got the order instead and they were in the shop in a little over 24 hrs, at no extra cost!

This evening Mike and Sarah came round for tea, which tonight was an Indian takeaway, lovely meal and great company made for a very pleasant evening altogether.

Goodnight all

• Like 13

Morning all another early rise, DD2 has 4 shifts each of three and three-quarter hours it may change in the run up to Christmas as 4 o'clock starts have been mentioned...

AM or PM?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

A remarkably good nights sleep, 8 hours with just minor wake ups to roll over.

The wind appears to have eased, which is good, as it's sailing day. The wind forecast is gusting low 30s, which a bit more than we'd like. It expected from the north west an unusual direction for us. West means much use of spinnaker, north means no use of spinnaker as it's the wrong angle on the river.

The tide is low at 07:49 so will be at Max speed coming in at the start of the first race at 10:45. The wind will allow us to easily overcome this but does effect the way we sail. Going up river we'll sail down the middle of the river to gain maximum use of the tide. Tacking back

down river it will be long curving tacks staying close to the bank where possible.

I've bid for a 2mm terrier and failed on the bay of E, it's to be converted to the prototype that was painted olive green. However when the secondhand price approaches new, I drop out. There are several others on line so I'll just keep trying..

Time for some porridge byre for now..

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning to most (afternoon/evening/night as appropriate to match where you are in the world.).

Informed by lottery HQ that I have squeezed more then a free go out of the system. Not a huge amount but will help with Christmas expenditure.

I have had a cold for the last week. It doesn't get any better and doesn't seem to be getting worse. It is a flipin nuisance but hey ho compared to others it is a minor problem.

Have to move a hat stand today. As our house was built in 1926 her indoors decided she wanted a period piece to adorn our entrance room. Until now its use as a place for music teaching precluded this. Question is, with the seats down will it fit in my civic? We shall find out soon enough.

Good luck with the sailing Q, the wind has died down here at last.

Now, muggertea time then ...baz removals to be called into use..

Baz

• Like 17

Good morning one and all, with special thoughts to Rick

I ought to start rounding up the clothes and other stuff that I will be taking with me to Switzerland in, oh heck, less than a fortnight.

... on Wednesday at home awaiting the arrival of my travel documents for Switzerland by Royal Mail special delivery. ...

Warm thoughts and best wishes to all in distress or missing

Chris 

I'll be there on Monday (tomorrow) week! Must start getting organised, especially as I'm meeting with RoundHouse next Saturday!

The Company have assured me that the tickets (at least mine) were to be sent last Friday so if I haven't received them by Monday mid-pm, I will be on the 'phone!

Enjoy your 40 minutes at Strasbourg!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning All,

First off, RIck, I do hope that you are OK after yesterday's unpleasant experience - I knew from the travel news on the red button on the TV that there was a "person hit by a train" at Clapham, and my first thought was that I hoped you hadn't been on duty, or if you had been, that you hadn't seen anything - sadly I was wrong. 

Sorry that I was AWOL yesterday, but an unexpected trip to town followed by a Christmas Fair, then some paperwork, and tasks domestic,which included getting the Christmas tree out of the eaves and finding the vintage lights, finding that for some reason the set we were going to use had no plug on them, then the inevitable search for the loose bulb  put any ideas of RMWeb on the back burner.  So as usual, greetings are sent to the celebrating and the ailing.

Today will be more of the same, with all the cards to write, and the outside lights, and perhaps a visit to the local junk antique centre.

Back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A very windy night (outside that is, not inside) and it's still blowing and now raining. Winds should lessen as the day progresses and some sunny spells are forecast.

Tea was taken up to The Boss earlier and I can hear sounds of movement so I expect to hear shortly the magic words " You need to get a move on if you want breakfast."  I will because I do.

A quick visit to Sainsbury's or possibly Tesco is on the cards after that. I'm sure I've been told why but I misremember. Then I have some more paperwork to trawl through as I had a letter yesterday requesting some information which, if I can find it, may be to my advantage.

Son Steve is visiting later to collect various parcels which he has had delivered here. I've also got the second half of the Wasps v Toulouse match to fit in.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning

Just catching up on yesterdays posts due to being out all day at  a group of friends xmas meal.

Just read Ricks posts and those incidents would certainly put me off being a train driver or platform staff let laone the emeregency services having to deal with the aftermath. Unfortunately it happens quite often along the Brighton mainline hence the railings now installed at Wandsworth Common Purely, Purley Oaks and other such stations to try and keep the fast lines clear of these incidents.

Talking of flights, looks like Virgin will be affected by strike action the day we are due to fly with them but fingers crossed ours will be Ok as we need to get to San Jose that day to meet with other friends (both are using different airlines to us), ready for the Coast Starlight the next morning to Santa Barbara. Back up plans may well to hire a car and drive from our flight destination if necessary. Now what do I do about currency - get it tomorrow or wait till after the MPs vote on Tuesday.

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  A windy night outwith and within, curry with bhaji's responsible for the latter.

Hoping Rick is OK.  Might have been a difficult might I'm thinking.

The O gauge thing has been with me a long time, I built three small locos thirty years ago, but sold them as a group of us built a G Scale USA exhibition layout and I needed stock for that.  I still have a two-thirds completed Impetus models Hunslet 16" saddletank, must dig it out and see if it can be made to run and be completed.  It got damaged in a car accident many moons ago when I got taken out by a so called 'joy rider', the box went flying and the chassis isn't as straight as it once was!  The Renault 18 was rather more bent.  I still have about ten wagons, several built by Mrs NHN as pictured the other day. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Hmm. I blame GDB.

Something O Gauge is on its way.

Shunty-planky thoughts now raging out of control, bought a loco that is totally inappropriate timescale-wise for the grouping era stock I have, and do I care?  Nah - Rule 1. I need something to kick start my modelling mojo, I hope this is it! 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

very pretty but very clean!!

My O gauge resides in boxes in the loft  under eaves storage. Not sure I am still interested in it at all.. takes a big space to build something which can keep me interested.

Nice and sunny here but brass monkeys looking for welders are out an about.

Baz

• Like 16