The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

If I could get some sort of slave connection to a wifi repeater in the shed that would do it. Anyway. I'm now off to re hang our telephone/internet wire which dropped off the wall last night for some unknown reason. Some cable ties will be handy I think.

Jamie

Jamie

There are plug-ins over here that can do the job. An Ethernet lead from the WiFi hub plugs into the mains range extender unit, a second unit then recieves the signal and passes it out via another Ethernet lead, which is plugged into the computer.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Important note for Chris F - no, they haven't missed you (and me) it's just that we were too old when the screening was introduced as it is targeted at men aged 65 (not 'over 65').  So it becomes a d-i-y job to get it done by using this link -

https://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Abdominal-aortic-aneurysm-screening/LocationSearch/1910

If they are as good as the lot covering our area you will be offered an appointment at earliest opportunity - i was given one three days after i applied but couldn't make due to prior arrangements and had to wait for the next session locally, c.4 weeks later.

And now to today and I'm duly recovering from last night's curry and of course as we're heading for the big city - Princess of Shoreditch for lunch with a friend - it is precipitating steadily, tomorrow the sun will shine, just you wait and see.

Have a good day one and all and hopefully your weather will also improve.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Cloudy here in Southampton.

This hotel is better than the one we have stayed at previously before going on cruises.

We haven’t had breakfast yet though.

The drive to the cruise terminal is only a few minutes, so no danger of being late.

Have a good day.

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I was looking at network cables recently. Once upon a time I knew all about cables between buildings but the world has moved on a bit.

A friend has a fibre optic link out to his home office. I found out there are external rated ethernet cables too. My requirement to replace the dead mains transmitter system involved flat Cat 7 cable from the HomeHub and then stick an 8 port switch for all the home entertainment boxes that have an Ethernet socket.

Tony

Good morning all,

Very overcast and  bit dampish here so there will be no gardening or car washing today.

"We" are feeling a bit better today.

A quiet evening was had with no interruptions as we turned off the porch lights and the little kiddies and their parents respected our wish for solitude. Didn't seem to be many about this year.

Not sure if I will be able to check how round my new wheels will be Baz. Latest tracking report puts my parcel at the South Midlands Mail Centre (which I believe is in Northampton) at 6.22AM. an earlier report said it was at the Croydon Mail Centre at 4.36AM after leaving Warrington at 7.08PM so it seems to be going on a ride around the country!  :scratchhead:    I will of course be amazed and delighted if it gets here before the promised 1.00PM deadline.

I may spend some time online looking for a couple bits of track today although I could wait until Wycrail Saturday and see if I can find some there.

Have a good one,

Bob.

PS Not sure how it got to Northampton from Croydon in under 2 hours though!

Redirected to Sutton Coldfield.

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

GDB  Despite the size of some sheds (as above), there is hope for you, yet... Currently (two of) our baseboards are up in the dining room with a temporary extension to the fridge top but they need to be raised so we can get board three over the fridge... Then, of course, we run out of room for the FY…(What! Move the microwave?)  :scratchhead:

Polly, we have a conservatory and one end of that doubles as a utility space. I see no reason why the other end/rest of it could not double as a layout space.

Of course , there may most certainly will be some disagreement in other quarters.   :no:   :nono:   :protest:  :threaten:  :girldevil:

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Yes I looked at a cat 5 and mains cabling repeaters to the shed But,

The router is the front of the house by the front door., I'd have to get the cable down the hallway out of the back doorway, across a concrete path. Then the 150 is yards of trench digging. Getting into the mobile home and shed wouldn't be a problem except... They are on a different Phase of mains Electricity and a different local to consumer unit earth to ground. (yes  I know the signal should be isolated but...)

At the moment the best solution looks like a high gain ariel on a post at the corner powered from the mobile home pointing at the back door, cabled to a local repeater.

if Jamie is on the same phase mains supply Shed and house it may work using a mains repeater..

• RMweb Gold

Yes I looked at a cat 5 and mains cabling repeaters to the shed But,

The router is the front of the house by the front door., I'd have to get the cable down the hallway out of the back doorway, across a concrete path. Then the 150 is yards of trench digging. Getting into the mobile home and shed wouldn't be a problem except... They are on a different Phase of mains Electricity and a different local to consumer unit earth to ground. (yes  I know the signal should be isolated but...)

At the moment the best solution looks like a high gain ariel on a post at the corner powered from the mobile home pointing at the back door, cabled to a local repeater.

if Jamie is on the same phase mains supply Shed and house it may work using a mains repeater..

The phase issue was one that needed checking when our IT people used to run cables from one school building to another. By the time I left education they were using optical fibre for connections between buildings.
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Chatting in the clubroom last night someone mentioned that an old friend of mine was on Facebook. A few here might know him, Brian (Wheels) Stubbles. I have duly sent him a friend request but I haven't opened my Facebook this morning. I gather that he has been quite ill recently but is now recovering. Its now stopped raining, hopefully thats it as far as the rain goes. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Polly, we have a conservatory and one end of that doubles as a utility space. I see no reason why the other end/rest of it could not double as a layout space.

Of course , there may most certainly will be some disagreement in other quarters.   :no:   :nono:   :protest:  :threaten:  :girldevil:

Here's a store where you can purchase your new baseboard. :imsohappy: 

https://www.actavodirect.com/scaffolding-boards/

Congratulations Jamie - oh, by the way, I STILL dispute the term "shed" for that aircraft hangar you have your layout in :jester:

BIN day, not for me, tra-la, it'll be a POETF for me, heading to JFK to return home.

Nothing much to report regarding Halloween here, the client had a dress-up competition and there were a few notables, but since I was hotel-bound, the evening provided ZERO visitors to my door, thankfully :)

Flight home "should" go well, and I really hope so as we have a memorial/remembrance service at church tonight which the choir sing at. If the plane is on time, the Mrs will pick me up and we'll make the service.

Mysteriously I've already been upgraded to first class on the trip home, I THINK it's because I (well the client/expenses) pay for a full price ticket so they move such high-payers UP before the hoards of folks with "points".

I'll not complain :)

Was already 12 and clear driving in, with 20 the listed high. Rather different at home where it's 1 and expected only to reach 11 later. May be a bit nippy singing in the remembrance garden this evening!

Carpe whatever you can...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

No access for nearly a fortnight and wow, the number of pages that have been completed and far too many to go through so, congratulations and commiserations as necessary and especially to Jamie and Beth on their wonderful news.

Well, quite a week following the passing away of a brother-in-law, looking after a niece and also our own Granddaughter.

Halloween celebrations, something that personally I am not keen on, in this community was really great fun with the variety of costumes, age groups, and sizes of groups that came round.  We had, with back up. something in excess of 130 sweets but ran out long before visitors stopped coming.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Accuracy of newspapers...

The story

"Police, fire, ambulance and coastguard attended the scene on at The Ferry Inn pub on Ferry Road, Horning, after a man in his 40s ploughed his car into the river.

Three men dived into the water to help the driver but had to be rescued by emergency services after getting into trouble.

Fire crews from Wroxham, Sprowston and Carrow used a surface rescue boat to transfer the casualties into the care of the ambulance.

Hemsby lifeboat were paged to the scene at 11.55pm and launched the Hemsby broads lifeboat from the nearby Horning Sailing Club to search the water for other potential casualties."

The fact

post-15969-0-80620900-1541076278.jpg

The driver barely got his feet wet...

Oh and the police, Coastguard and ambulance, went to the wrong side of the river.. to where the picture is taken from..

PS the driver is being done for drunk in charge..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Welcome to Thor’s Day. He hasn’t wielded his hammer but we have had a significant amount of the wet stuff. It is also somewhat warmer than of late.

A late return from the House of Fun occurred following a train-versus-person at Mortlake. We were unable to divert service via the main line owing to signalling issues at Raynes Park so everything on the Windsor side came to a stop with your scribe in charge of the busy down platforms.

After around 30 minutes a limited service became possible via Hounslow but delays blew out to over an hour. The mettle of all staff is tested at such times. Having no trains, no information and a large number of people trying to get places by appointed times seldom makes for an easy shift. All in a day’s work however, and thoughts go to those faced with the incident scene.

Today marks the anniversary upon which long-time friend’s eldest son took his life overdosing on a combination of drugs. J. started school with my sister and we have therefore known each other for 54 years. I have spoken privately with her in the past few days but will leave today to her, her family and their thoughts. Should anyone here be close to any similar situation please feel free to PM me as help and support is readily available

In other news SWMBO continues to suffer below-par health but is managing to work today. If the road gets bumpier ahead then I am prepared. We know not what lies in our futures.

Best wishes to all.

And then....

I thought something felt "wrong' about today, then, as I checked my flight details and wondered why the flight number is different than usual, I remembered I couldn't get a seat on the regular flight I take as it was full, so opted for the later one.

THAT puts the kybosh on me singing at the memorial service as I don't leave HERE until 7 and will be lucky to be home by 9:30PM. :O  :scared: Choice words were uttered when I made the discovery :(

Mysteriously I've already been upgraded to first class on the trip home, I THINK it's because I (well the client/expenses) pay for a full price ticket so they move such high-payers UP before the hoards of folks with "points".

I'll not complain :)

Ian, I'm surprised at this point that you would claim you too don't have sufficient 'points' by now?  MSP - JFW perhaps as often as a biweekly pattern should have you ascending the tiers of a program like (hypothetically) Skymiles. You are of course correct that having a full fare helps a lot, both in upgrade list priority at lower status and in earning status faster..

EDIT: Your later flight explains the open seats in first class too.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11

That's tough, Ian.................

In other news from the left hand coast I'm stuck in my office over the Garage because a film unit has taken over our main living room (and I cannot access the Den).

I wish that I could tell you the Sigourney Weaver was here but she's not; they are making a Christmas TV advert (at the last minute) for some upmarket Pet thing. Our Westie Maizee is enjoying it as she'll be one of the stars and is presently bursting with treats. The actor (not actress any more) is totally tasty, however (and probably why I have been banished).  They are letting us keep the rather nice Christmas Tree (it's fake but a very good fake). I suppose I'm lucky that they did not fill the front yard with fake snow but they are using some other mugs garden...

On that note (Bb) I'll love you and leave you and try to get in on all the f@#king food that has arrived.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 19

I'm doooooooooooooooooooooomed.

Debs: warning muddling related content below. 

Dapol O Terrier ordered from Hatton's. It looked rather sad lonely in the checkout basket so I added a friend to keep it company. An LT pannier. This weekend I'll be cleaning the loft to try and find the storage tub of O scale wagon kits and bits. I found a bunch of ancient Atlas O track in the shed including 2 points. Should just be enough for a small circle around the Christmas tree. 

You are indeed, Andrew, you are sucked into the maw that is O Gauge.  There is no way out only a diversion to America or the continent.

Bill

• Like 6