The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,getting brighter by the minute but with the threat of rain. My dad was forced to write with his right hand all i ever saw him write was his signature. My brother and i were both ambidextrous when I walked to the crease I never knew whether I would be a left or right handed batsman. Ultimately it didn't matter because I was hopeless at cricket anyway.

I was quite good at Cricket and really enjoyed it; I bowled Left handed and batted Right handed (of course)......I think most Left handers tend to be somewhat ambidextrous because they have to be!

Morning everybody! One more cup of tea and I'm going to bed. It's 2:35 here in Gotham City.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Awake again for the second time...

Feeling like a Zombie, which is apt as I watched 'Shaun of the Dead' last night. It's one of those films I'd heard a bit about, but somehow always missed. Totally irreverent, it hit the spot and I was chuckling all the way through. Some great lines and some truly awful scenes...

As today's theme would appear to be disco tunes...may I suggest "New York City Boy"? :dance_mini:

I prefer "You Only Tell Me You Love Me When You're Drunk", "In Denial" and "Footsteps" from that album, Dominik!

Morning guys. I seem to be back in the wide awake 2.30am club. Can't fathom out why....

To supplement my income I was DJ'ing from 74 through to 82. Started off with a mobile disco and finally doing Friday and Saturday nights at local clubs around the Colchester/Ipswich area. Probably explains my record collection which is stacked, or should that be Stax, full of Motown and Disco. My dear lady says sell them all and I'd probably be happy to other than the hassle of writing the detail for eBay and the lack of knowledge on how to protect 12" records through the post. Squares of 2mm mdf?

Agree totally about Talk Talk. Loved 'It's my Life" and still have the 12" version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXQYyKzyDaE

I loved "It's My Life" too - remember it very well, as it was on the first "Now...!" album that I got - Now 18 in 1990. It was preceded on the album by PiL's "Don't Ask Me" and followed by The La's ('s) "There She Goes". I could never decide whether the spoken "It's easy to deceive a child" between the two tracks was from "Don't Ask Me" or "It's My Life".

Morning all... grey, wet and windy here in Edinburgh.

Gordon - my favourite scene from Shaun has to be the bar scene with the pool cues and "Don't Stop Me Now". I picked up a bargain yesterday, "Withnail and I" on Blu-Ray for £3. Started watching it last night and had forgotten how funny it is. Made it nearly an hour in before I had to turn in for the night. Will watch the rest tonight.

Awake again for the second time...

Feeling like a Zombie, which is apt as I watched 'Shaun of the Dead' last night. It's one of those films I'd heard a bit about, but somehow always missed. Totally irreverent, it hit the spot and I was chuckling all the way through. Some great lines and some truly awful scenes...

"We'll go down the Pub and wait for it all to blow over..."

Or the thread about him insisting to his Mum that his Step Father was already a Zombie....

I loved that movie.

Best, Pete.

Edited because I'm tired........

Edited by trisonic

I'm not familiar with that track. Curiuosity got the better of me and depite my (and the web) best efforts, I can't find it listed on any of their albums. Strange..

Mike, there were so many scenes that really made me laugh, but I had taken off my sensible head for a few hours. Even my dear lady started to chuckle half way through and it's definitely not her type of film. I'll have to watch it again when I'm in the mood as there were so many one liners I must have missed. Just one line after another...

I have to agree with the reviews.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365748/

Here today, gone tonight in the early hours.

I think there are 'postal' covers made for LPs, Gordon.

Scratches, marks on covers etc., should all be declared as it's often collectors who buy them.

Lots of money with some of them.

'It's easy to decieve a child' from Talk Talk. Unless I've misread it.... :rolleyes:

Thanks Mick. I did see that a while back and enjoyed it. If I'm honest 'Paul' was over hyped and not as good as 'Run Fatboy Run'.

I still chuckling away to myself this morning, but comedy is such personal thing and depends on your mood at the time. Thanks for the reminders, Mick and Pete. Pauline Wilton and Bill Nighy were great.

Jackie is a mine of knowledge on dogs, so I'll have to ask her 'if dogs can look up'...

• RMweb Premium

Morning All. The oktas are back.

Well done on completing the 10k Mike.

I'm righthanded but had problems with damaged nerves and repetitive strain injuries in my neck, shoulder, elbow and wrists (aren't computers wonderful!) that meant I had to give up playing cornet/trumpet/Flugelhorn for 6 to 9 months. I got back in to playing when the band I was playing for got deperate for a player for a contest whereupon I was dragged in to play 3rd cornet lefthanded! Confused the heck out of the conductor.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning, trying to brighten up here - so is the weather. Call out is strangely quiet at the moment, not sleeping too well though as I'm on edge waiting for the phone to ring.

Although a blues man at heart I really like Talk Talk. I have on the V+ box 'Talk Talk live at Montreux' which is excellent, highly recommended. Someone's put it on Youtube in 10 min segments starting

I always class Mark Hollis to be one of the great enigmas of British pop - so much talent but he just walked away from it all, no comebacks, no guest appearances, just the one solo album in the early 90s.

Edited by PhilH

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather overcast here and a lot cooler than it has been for a few days.

Today's event. Someone will be coming round to measure downstairs for carpet replacement this morning.

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost seem to have a knack of producing enjoyable movies 'Shaun' and 'Hot Fuzz' are two of may favourite films, but I was also a big fan of their series 'Spaced' which appeared a good ten years ago and was well recieved for it's fine collection of generally barking characters.

http://www.sitcom.co.uk/spaced/characters.shtml

• RMweb Gold

I haven't seem 'Shaun of the Dead ' but I have seen 'Hot Fuzz'. When Matthew was at college he was looking at the Essex Police stand at a careers fair. The officer on the stand asked him what had interested him in as police career. His answer, "Hot Fuzz, as he really liked the idea of job where going to the shop was OK".

I hate to tell you guys this but I've got #0000 of The Beatles "White Album" - but on CD!

Each "White Album" CD made was still sequentially numbered. The Beatles have #0001 (there are 5 of these) 5 X #0000 - Big Knobs at EMI plus me and George Martin. I don't think Geoff E. engineered the "White Album" it may have been the late Norman "Hurricane" Smith.

Anyway I cannot imagine the CD version is worth much.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Pete,

You're right in that there isn't a demand for the White Album on CD - at least the 1988 version.

However, with that number and provenance I'm sure there will be interest.

If ever you were tempted to sell, I'd start it at a price with which you would be happy.

(You could even offer an autograph with it!).

That's a great thing to have Pete..Lucky man!

All my albums are originals from say 59 onwards and I've kept the covers and artwork in clear plastic sleeves. How easy is it to get a feel for how rare some of them may be? Looking at some of the Beatles early albums, it seems that not only is the record itself important but the stamping number and even the cover manufacturer.

I guess starting at £0.99 and letting them find their own value is one option. In a moment of madness I gave my son my first Led Zeppelin album. The white one with a Zeppelin on the cover. I 'spect he still has it, but with a coffee stained cover and thumb printed vinyl..... :D

• RMweb Premium

That's a great thing to have Pete..Lucky man!

All my albums are originals from say 59 onwards and I've kept the covers and artwork in clear plastic sleeves. How easy is it to get a feel for how rare some of them may be? Looking at some of the Beatles early albums, it seems that not only is the record itself important but the stamping number and even the cover manufacturer.

I guess starting at £0.99 and letting them find their own value is one option. In a moment of madness I gave my son my first Led Zeppelin album. The white one with a Zeppelin on the cover. I 'spect he still has it, but with a coffee stained cover and thumb printed vinyl..... :D

My pink floyd relics album has those and some colouring in various biro pen colours!