The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Aft’noon all

It isn’t an octopus at all if it has tentacles. Surely that would make it a decapus. Or are they octacles???

On the subject of tortoises a group of mates formed themselves into a band allegedly playing in the style of the outfit known as Portishead. I wouldn’t go so far as to call them a tribute band. They went by the name of Tortishead but something had become lost in translation (or perhaps in alcoholic haze) as they were usually advertised as “Tortoisehead”. Which gave some people a mistaken impression that there was some connection with what a turtle’s head might do with fabric .....

Good to hear news of Our Lady of the Awl. The road to recovery may be littered with bumps and hiccups making regular comment here unrealustic for now.

Clouds have rolled in as though taunting me. It is not an hour since the laundry was put out to dry. The forecast deluge had better wait a while.

• Like 18

It isn’t an octopus at all if it has tentacles. Surely that would make it a decapus. Or are they octacles???

I know you're not being serious, but in case anyone's interested: 'octopus' comes from 'octo' ('eight') and 'pus' ('feet'), while 'tentacle' comes from 'tento' ('I feel' or 'I touch') - hence a tentacle is literally 'a thing that touches'. In English the same root gives us 'tentative,' 'tactile' and, perhaps less obviously, 'tact'.

Logically, therefore, octopuses should be employed as marriage counsellors.

• Like 7

Afternoon all,

I'm sometimes amazed at the efficiency of our postal sytem, I ordered three items online yesterday, two from Amazon and one from Minispares and they all turned up this morning!

Rest day tomorrow so we might nip down Cheltenham way for a shuftie at Brian Jones' grave, I've driven past the church dozens of times and never bothered to stop and have a look.

Stay cool folks, if you can  ;)

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

I'm sometimes amazed at the efficiency of our postal sytem, I ordered three items online yesterday, two from Amazon and one from Minispares and they all turned up this morning!

I have had a few items arrive before receiving the out for delivery email. Having read all the various threads about dodgy deliveries I have always been impressed by all the delivery services round here. However in some cases it isn’t the delivery method that causes us not the buy from someone. Aditi found that “in stock”didn’t actually mean that from one major high street’s online presence.

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Bother.

And other words which I cannot say here.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

The sky is leaking and the freakin’ washing is out. I’m headed that-a-way. ————————————->

• RMweb Premium

I know you're not being serious, but in case anyone's interested: 'octopus' comes from 'octo' ('eight') and 'pus' ('feet'), while 'tentacle' comes from 'tento' ('I feel' or 'I touch') - hence a tentacle is literally 'a thing that touches'. In English the same root gives us 'tentative,' 'tactile' and, perhaps less obviously, 'tact'.

Logically, therefore, octopuses should be employed as marriage counsellors.

So presumably an Octopus with a missing tentacle would be a septapus.

Afternoon all,

Rest day tomorrow so we might nip down Cheltenham way for a shuftie at Brian Jones' grave, I've driven past the church dozens of times and never bothered to stop and have a look.

Brian Jones was on at least one occasion a volunteer at Crich Tramway museum in it's very early days. I believe that there is a photo of him there.

Jamie

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Just FTR: Scorchio. Is. The. Motto. Of. The. Day. Yet. Again.

We had a brief but intense shower earlier. The forecast indicated more coming but it stopped a couple of roads away according to the radar map!

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

It's been scorchio all day, I've been occasionally watering the AC to keep it going, though looking at the weather RDF, the gods will be assisting within the hour.

Many roads were melting on the way back, this could explain the excess of chippings on the road to work..

I two have been amazoned with two orders from Sunday evening. Something I wish I'd done with getting a cable.

I made the mistake of going to carphonewarehousddixonscurryspcworld, what a mess that place is. Few signs to show what's on each aisle, I found earphones in 3 different places, internet cables in 3 different places, it took ages to find what I wanted.

Then I went to the tills to be told, it has to be paid for at a car phone till, which was well hidden behind racks of stuff and no signs to indicate it was there. I won't be going back unless I have to...

Ben the Border collie is now hiding which suggests Thor wielding his hammer is getting closer..

The popety-ping , has pinged, time for tea...

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I think you would need some ointment for that.

Would that be the well known Scottish Medicine which has antiseptic properties though, I am told that it can be applied internally for best effect.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14

Indeed! The arm would have to be completely gone, though. The reason I'm being so specific is that there is, in fact, a species of giant octopus called (perhaps counter-intuitively) the Seven-arm Octopus: it does in fact have all eight, its just that one is normally curled up under its eye and therefore easy to overlook (no pun intended).

A sextopus also has all eight arms: it just uses two of them to send dirty messages on its mobile phone.

Regards,

Gavin

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

SWMBO christened her Blue badge with a trp to the Brentwood centre to visit the Breast Screening van. No real problems but the staff have said they will ensure that she is sent to a hospital/clinic for the next visit as her lack of mobility climbing the stairs into the van worried them.

After their fiasco with the water-line I thought I better lookup the permit for the septic system at the house they are building along the street. Behold, the permit says the house is on a private water supply. No it bluddy well isn't! Our community water system is a public supply. And that changes the rules about the minimum distance between the water lines and the septic drain-field. Now I'm wondering if this was an innocent error or if it involved the transfer of a brown bag.

To confirm the designation of our system I had a chat with the nice lady at the health department who handles the water. I happened to mention that the system depressurized yesterday when the pressure switch failed and she asked me if I disinfected the system after that. I have never disinfected the system, and I really don't know how to do that. AAAARRRRRRGGGGG!

• RMweb Gold

Hello everybody 

I'm back from deepest Sussex my trip to Alton Models was fruitful I spent quiet alot on 009 stuff, overall saving by shopping there instead

of Gaugemaster at Ford was £20 and that got spent at Alton as well, while we were there Her buqqered OFT to the frock shop and bought a

new top also some new PJ's in the man shop for me as we are away the week end the existing pairs are a disgrace she didn't want the embarrassment

of the chamber maid seeing any of them.

We had a nice lunch and her aunt gave daughter & SiL their wedding present a hand stitched quilt rather nice I might add I asked if she would do another 

one the scowl I got meant NO.

Ivan did your battery turn up via that supreme courier service ???

Must get on I'm going to have a twiddle with all the things I didn't buy from Gaugemaster 

:superman: up an atom Starvos 

Edited by 81C
  • Like 16

Brian Jones was on at least one occasion a volunteer at Crich Tramway museum in it's very early days. I believe that there is a photo of him there.

Jamie

Yes Jamie, the photo appears in Paul Trynka's book on Brian, it was taken c.1960. Even while he was at the height of his fame and entering his decline he was an avid train, tram and bus fan, shortly after he died in July '69 the Stones' office in London received several phone calls asking what should be done with the two buses Brian had bought and left in storage.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Distant thunder but no sign of the wet stuff yet, not even the bit that Tony received.

I‘ll be worried as soon as we reach the googolplexpus stage! :jester:

I actually tried to work out how many octopuses that would be, but I gave up when I realised I wasn't sure how to write the answer... At least one way to record it is as a comparative: "more octopuses than there are elementary particles in the universe". 

Now, the 'tentacular googolplexian ecosystem' would be interesting, because quite apart from requiring a body of water larger in volume than the multiverse in which to keep it, you would would need a quite extraordinary number - far more than a googolplex - of live crabs to serve as prey (in warm water, a fist-sized common octopus will eat two crabs a day). And as for the food the crabs require... 

For some reason, I quite fancy sushi for lunch now.

At least you don't have to put a googolplex in Roman numerals. :jester:

Indeed! The arm would have to be completely gone, though. The reason I'm being so specific is that there is, in fact, a species of giant octopus called (perhaps counter-intuitively) the Seven-arm Octopus: it does in fact have all eight, its just that one is normally curled up under its eye and therefore easy to overlook (no pun intended).

A sextopus also has all eight arms: it just uses two of them to send dirty messages on its mobile phone.

Regards,
Gavin

Isn't that a Textopus?

EDIT. Its now started raining as I was typing the above. But only at the front of the house, the back was dry.

EDIT2 The rain is now falling front and back.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Bob can put his violin away, a much better in control day at work was had.  Busy, but.

Pleased to see a post from Debs on FB too.

Plotting a steam-up on the garden railway this weekend with some visitors from the big island adjacent - so the weather appears to be appalling.  Sods law, get that violin out again after all, Bob.

• Like 2

I wonder how many of the 'teams' actually work directly for Useless U. I wonder if are several layers of sub contractors down the ladder and due to the way such things are set up communication is not easy. It happens a lot in many industries. One of my sons used to drive plant on jobs on the railway but he only sub contracted to a farmer who sub contracted to the firm that was actually being paid for the job. The actual contractor never rang my son, it was always through the various links in the chain that communication took place. Though the vans that these people drive may say one thing on the side but they might actually be employed by whoever made the lowest bid last time the contract was tendered out.

Jamie, you are quite right. I think that there are 2 levels of sub-contracting here, UU to Ames, Amey to Gallagher. The “hole diggers” have all been Gallaghers personnel, using UU logo’ed vans. As far as I can tell, no fault lies with these guys, but with the United Utilities job planning. To put it simply, the sub-contractors are set up to fail by UU.