The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

TV news item says there are almost 450 wildfires currently burning here in BC. There are firecrews being brought in from as far away as Mexico and New Zealand. With this many fires, they have to triage the response - if fires are remote and/or not threatening habitation, then they're allowed to burn till other, more threatening, ones are dealt with.

But things, of course, can change. We drove through the south of the province a week ago, seeing a fire burning high up on mountains some distance away from the road. It wasn't being fought at all. However, since then it has grown to be currently the biggest in the province and has burned downhill (rather unusual) towards towns and the highway we drove, so it is now getting a lot of attention.

Edited by pH

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Generic greetings, as usual.

Had to take 30747 to town, and also pick her up later once she'd had a haircut, and a coffee and sandwich with her friend.  While she was enjoying herself, I was back at home doing the weekly check of the bank statement, and credit card balance, which we do without fail, but usually on a Sunday - but we're standing the A6 car boot tomorrow, so it had to be done today.

Back tomorrow at some stage.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I always insist on mine being hand pulled by a buxom barmaid!

In other news,I've been certified for a further three years.

I'm not so fused any young lady can pull mine.  :spiteful:

• Like 11

Unfortunately no. We are holidaying in Europe with our friends from South Carolina.

There will be much impersonating of each other's local accents...…………….

I'd be inclined to steer well clear of any discussion about US politics :)

• RMweb Premium

To whom it may concern

I have enquired of the original Rock brewery in Cornwall via a friend who lives at nearby Polzeath. Cask Doom Bar is indeed still brewed there though the bottled and canned stuff comes from Burton-upon-Trent. So there you have it. If it’s served from the cask it comes from the original brewery.

Doesn’t explain the difference in taste I notice between Cornish and English pubs. I suspect that arises from differing cellarage and service practices.

I currently have a tin opened for afternoon enjoyment. I may or may not be back later.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I'd be inclined to steer well clear of any discussion about US politics :)

I wouldn't worry too much about that, as I try very hard to follow "never discuss politics with friends".

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

High drama on the high plains - well not really that high.

A pillcock at the end of the street bought two properties and he is currently having a lakefront home constructed on one of them. The properties are separated by a road that is owned by the community road association. It's all very obvious on the plat who own what. Yesterday the pillcock's builders started to erect a gate to block the road (presumably so he can use both properties as a single entity without interference from people like me who have been using the road for 23 years).

Somebody called the sheriff. Fortunately we were able to persuade the construction crew that they really didn't want to go any further. (The sheriff was then called off - I'm sure the they don't really want to get into a civil dispute.) I suspect the real-estate agent told said pillcock the road was his.

It's likely going to end up in court before it's resolved.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Has a great day at the Southwold show today, helped by the temperature near the coast being 3 or 4 degrees lower than inland. Managed to bag a bargain off of the club stall, a Bachmann HO Spectrum gas-electric 'doodlebug' in Santa Fe livery for £25. My friend and his young son also had a good time, the youngster fell asleep in the back of the car on the way home. Now for a nice muggatee, be back later.

• Like 17

I'd actually like to turn out a Finney "Hall" in this livery, just for the craic.

Thinking about Hogwarts Castle - I recall seeing Taw Valley (on the WSR at the time) dressed as such, in the red livery.  Looked even more wrong than the Hall.  I think my mate had sold his quarter share in it by then, he wouldn't have been impressed unless the monies were very tempting!

They do look good in maroon, after all it is the best livery.....

Apparently young Mr. Stanier thought so too when the turned out his 1:1 scale model Hall Jubilee in maroon.

It's actually a surprisingly good shade, but is the Hogwarts maroon the same as crimson lake, or a different shade?

(At the risk of incurring the wrath...)

It looks mysteriously like BR coach maroon. But then again, red based pigments are possibly the worst

Midland red was so dependent on the preparation, the lighting conditions and the length of time since the last repaint.

As much as I prefer the "proper" shade for a Hall, it is very fetching in the dark maroon chosen by the film company.

(Not that JKR ever envisioned a locomotive from the West Country, or probably any in particular, nor is the Lake District an easy destination from KX, details, details, all well explained by concealment and transfiguration charms etc, but I think it actually all worked out very well in the end.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10

I don't think you can buy etched nameplates or decals for it, because copyright issues, etc.

You can have my Harry Potter pebble that I found yesterday. No copyright on this little beauty.post-19606-0-91229400-1533420791_thumb.jpg Edited by lightengine
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well it’s been another beautiful sunny day here in the northwest, quite a bit of which I’ve spent outside. Mainly tidying up in the garden today, sorting what I’m keeping and what’s going. So far I’ve got a bit of stuff that will eventually go to the tip, but I’ll wait until I’ve enough for a full load!

The afternoon was spent in the workshop, I took delivery of a couple of quick release connectors for one of my airbrushes, so I fitted and tested them. So I can now finally give this new airbrush a try, I haven’t been able to until now, as it had a different thread to all my other airbrushes.

This afternoon Mike and Sarah came round and stayed for tea, which was Chinese for a change. A spicy sweet and sour chicken with egg fried rice. They very kindly brought some cupcakes which they’d picked whilst they were out shopping in the Trafford Centre this morning. The evening was rounded off with a nice bottle of red. This morning, when I went to the bathroom, I weighed myself and for the first time in probably 30+ years, I weighed less than 15st, after tonight’s tea, I bet I won’t be tomorrow!

Goodnight all.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I read that Ms Rowling was actually thinking of Euston when she wrote Kings Cross. It matches the red engines and I think platform 9 3/4 works better there. (I am open to correction on the last point.) I also heard that while Taw Valley was available, the movie people wanted a more old-fashioned looking locomotive.

We've just returned from a wonderful production of The Music Man done by the high school students at the Interlochen Arts Camp. Dayle had some quibbles with the sound production, but the two leads were marvelous, if a bit young looking, and the rest of the cast seemed to be near professional level.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

Not a good nights sleep, many wake ups and turn overs. Back very painful, and an old 1980 ankle injury joining in with all the other old Injuries coming back to haunt me.

With me being at the regatta all week, going to the Southwold show would not be advisable with SWMBO, I will however attend the local to me Neatishead show of the J50 group on the 18th.

Plans for today

Check yesterday's resin work,

Pour in more resin if OK,

Cut some strips of fibreglass to start the internal hull bandage. Maybe glue them in.

Take SWMBO to the car boot.

Maybe more fibreglassing.

But first

Time to find the ibuprofen...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from somewhere warm. It's been another warmish night and it's set to be about 35 again today.

Miracles do happen, Beth did help me sort out which points were operated by which pair of wires though as you will read on my layout thread I have had to set up a minor injuries clinic for tortoii,or whatever the proper plural is for tortoise. Perhaps Gavin can enlighten me. Not a lot else got done and we had another nice evening sitting out watching the stars and planets appear whilst consuming cold liquids from bottles.

This morning we are off to a Vide grenier, or French car boot I am told. We are being picked up at 9.30. Apart from that there is not a lot on the agenda so I might even get some more wiring done.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Hey up from a sunny North West Leeds Highlands.

Match yesterday was easy to umpire. Spent some time talking over the weeks event with her indoors over a large glass or two of Merlot. Watched the test highlights. Glad Rashid bowled otherwise Yorkshire CCC would feel as badly done by the ECB as Durham still do.

My match has been called off today pah! But it does mean I can get to Ampleforth early. Another week of cricket awaits.

Very concerned by her Debships lack of contact. Perhaps we all need to go and help her to escape from the hospital.

Back later in the week so..stay calm and enjoy every day as it comes.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 19

What's got 932 wheels and sounds like thunder and an earthquake?

The coal freight that has just gone past, about 30' from our bedroom!

Beats Mickey Mouse even if it does wake you up!

Quite impressed that you counted the wheels

• RMweb Premium

Quite impressed that you counted the wheels

I've been driving myself nuts trying to come up with a figure for locos and wagons that comes up to 932. 110 trucks is 880 wheels so what combination of 6 and 4 axle locos were there.

Jamie

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Ooh err. Jet2 737 sets off for Palma de Mallorca? Suddenly heads north then over the North Sea (fuel dump?) Then returns fairly slowly to Leeds Bradford. Hope everyone is OK.

Back to packing.

Baz

I was assuming a 12 wheel loco and 115 8 wheel coal wagons for the 932 total.

Another dry if cloudy day in prospect here. No particular plans for today so some gardening and a walk may take place at some point.

• Like 3