The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Good luck to Jamie and Beth on their move to France.

Commiserations to Dick - welcome to my world! I am currently sporting a bit of a bump on the head due to twisting my knee and overbalancing a couple of days ago and smashing my head on a cupboard.

The sun is popping in and out at the moment and it seems there may be showers later.

This is a shame because we have a birthday BBQ planned this afternoon for Gemma. Never mind, as true Brits this will not stop us and if necessary umbrellas will be raised over the cook(s)! 

The Boss is as usual organising other food as well so I'll be delivering her and her supplies etc to Nicki's and then I will retire to a safe distance, ie back home, until later.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

All this means I miss the West Country hauled Crewe - Cardiff today, two steam specials missed in three days !

Brian,

Sorry, but I can't pm you a picture of that one as I'm currently under diversity reassignment training.

• Like 1

Good morning all,

Good luck to Jamie and Beth on their move to France.

Commiserations to Dick - welcome to my world! I am currently sporting a bit of a bump on the head due to twisting my knee and overbalancing a couple of days ago and smashing my head on a cupboard.

Bob.

Echo wishes to Jamie & Beth.

Hope the cupboard's OK!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

And there's Ian (RH) volunteering to go on one of the new Eurostar sets - a sort of Eurostar equivalent of swapping a Southern 377 for a white worm, i.e. not as good as the thing it's replacing so all my spies inform me (but oodles better than a white worm of course).  Pleased to hear that Brian (br2975) is missing yet another foreign engine - good to see that decent taste prevails in Caerdydd even if it doesn't extend to the monstrosity being built in front of 'the General' (a location which older Cardiff familiars will recognise although perhaps not the younger folk).  I s'pose I'd best look for something to put on a certain Farcebook group to cheer the chap up a bit?

Not sure what is planned for today but rain is 40% promised and it will be good for the garden.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

for anyone going to the cricket in Wales today, while sandpaper has now been done to death, finger nail extensions and greasy face paint/hair grease is a must... :jester:

As he was American it's slightly ironic that he had to go all the way to France to get shot.

But he had to become British first. Looks at first glance like an incomer who had a chocolate box view of what the countryside should look like.....

No-brainer indeed! Although you'd be better to avoid Amsterdam itself as it is, as stated earlier, quite crowded. ...

Does Amsterdam still have that slight herbal odour that I fondly* remember from 1997?

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Tragic news from Glasgow this morning but at least theres no casualties. Least said the better about the ****** who stopped the upskirting bill. I did witness it happening once, but then so did the young lady's boyfriend. The offender found his hand holding the mobile phone pinned to the floor amid the sound of crunching bones.

Feeling a bit battered because I managed a massive faceplant late this afternoon. When we got the new table we had to take out the old one, the idea being that it would become a workbench in one of the outbuildings. I had to dismantle it to get it out and then remantle it in the garden. Then carry it in to the outbuilding. In the meantime Mrs A had been doing some woodwork in the out-b on a workmate, right where I wanted to put my bloody heavy table. She had also left out the power cable which had got caught under the door... Then she went for a siesta.

So to put the table in I had to move the workmate which had a bench sanding station on it (about 10kg worth). I picked it up and started towards an old patio table we use to dump stuff on. The floor is cobbles, and some are missing - guess what? Straight forward, with the sanding machine in my hands. Hit the mower (it's a big b*gger) then headfirst into the table, which fortunately disintegrated into nasty sharp shards and absorbed a lot of energy. And when I fall over there's a lot of kinetic energy... I landed on the sander, which had my hands under it.

Gashed a finger or two, and my thigh (I was wearing shorts) and done damage to both hands, face and shoulder. Not nice.

Got me out of cooking dinner, so I had a French Kebab Sandwich. Which was interesting. And the day started so well...

Quelle bummer! Take it very easy tomorrow. I'm soixante-neuf now (knock it off you lot!) and I'm amazed at how much minor injuries affect me.

You are both now honourary members of the GDB appreciation society.

Now just to wish Bon Voyage to Jamie and Beth and drink the muggatee that awaits, bye for now, be back later.

• Like 12

But he had to become British first. Looks at first glance like an incomer who had a chocolate box view of what the countryside should look like.....

Absolutely disgusting the things these French Johnny Foreigners do! Smelly, dirty cow type things and bales of harvested grass on their farms and openly on view in their countryside! I wave my private parts at your aunties. Pah!

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Tragic news from Glasgow this morning but at least theres no casualties. Something slightly suspicious about that, me-thinks!

Least said the better about the ****** who stopped the upskirting bill. I did witness it happening once, but then so did the young lady's boyfriend. The offender found his hand holding the mobile phone pinned to the floor amid the sound of crunching bones. Possibly the best - and instant - cure to the problem!

Success: I have found the instructions for the SEF USA tank and the Bradwell WD. They were in the shed all the time....

Which is more than can be said for the check I sent the US soc sec 18 months ago. In response to my letter a nice lady called yesterday. She said she'd looked everywhere but it's nowhere to be found.

On a general note (rant?), I abhor Fathers' day and Mothers' day. There are no Daughters' days but there are 52 Son days every year, which go without mention.

As I am now technically an orphan, I choose to remember my parents when the mood takes me.

Around about 25 December, there may have been an exchange of presents, but for the last 11 years of my life, I have seen no point in giving myself a present; I can do that any time of the year!

Just  getting it off my chest, as the saying goes.

• RMweb Premium

ENVY! :locomotive: :threaten: :ireful: :devil:

Is that Heiterblick? Didn't know it has a service, which line is that on the "Halteschild"? ;)

:punish:

:jester:

I think you might indeed like driving these units, Vincent. Being a new design not even related to the Solaris Tramino units in Brunswick and Jena, a lot of tweaking, fixing and optimisation is, of course, still in progress. However, the instructors present yesterday assured me that the software now running on 1001 is a major improvement with regards to operational stability. As the training department is actively involved in providing information and findings for the NGT10 project, also taking note of feedback from drivers being instructed, training turns essentially double as test and evaluation sessions. Furthermore, newly delivered NGT10s are generally relegated to at least several hundred kilometres in training service for helping in wringing out bugs.

That being said, 1001 is likely to remain the primary training unit for this type for the foreseeable future.

What I found interesting while actively driving 1001 is this: The driving controls, provided by Cegelec, actually work with closely stepped virtual power and braking force notches. I hadn’t noticed this while riding NGT10s as a passenger, but once I was told about this detail and was the one in control, I did notice the very gentle power stepping. However, a plurality of drivers already rated on these units have explicitly lauded the control and drivetrain design, so the engineers responsible for these components seem to have done their job well!

Edited to add, the two photos were taken in Schkeuditz and at Deutscher Platz, outside the old Exhibition Centre.

Edited by NGT6 1315
  • Like 1

In our new part of the world but about 90 miles away. Fortunately we are not landlords.Jamie

Technically you could be until you get that lady's stuff out of your shed. Hope she's not a gun owner.