The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Richard

its an O Gauge Show supported by the G0G..hope it doesn't snow.

Meanwhile after non stop rain we have a blueish sky with black clouds. My umpiring tomorrow may be short lived...

Baz

• Like 13

Another generally good day. The weather was dry, so I managed to get out and do some gardening to try and remove some weeds from the veg patch. When I tired a bit, I retired inside and DCC chipped an old Triang Britannia, the first hard wired chip I have installed. It runs quite well, but some CV adjustment required when I get round to it. Less successful with an old Hornby 4 function R8215 decoder, which had lost some of its wires. I decided after a while that the combination of me and my soldering iron doesn’t work very well on very fine detailed work! The chip is now in the bin - it wasn’t much of a loss!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Having just got back from Reading this evening, I'm off to Leigh tomorrow morning for the G0G show.

If you have been reading the Reading timetable you may notice the train left Earley early.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

According to my (not necessarily reliable) sources, at a certain computer manufacturer adjacent to the M8 East of Glasgow, when the mainframe crashed the operators arranged for the front panel register lights to display FU**. Not only that but the front panel was clearly visible from the visitor area.

Me and my boss once did a machine that required the operator to key in a value

The screen prompted them with "Please enter a number between X and Y".

If the value was outside those suggested, it re-prompted them.

If they got it wrong three times, the screen displayed "can't you f****** read?"......

We took great delight in showing off this feature at a trade show where our demo machine was being displayed. Although by then, we had dropped off the extra word as my boss' boss wasn't too impressed.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I'm not going anywhere tomorrow, other than taking the mut for a walk.

Just recovering from watching Falcons beatLeicester. Unbelievable. I think I woke the street with my yell at the last minute try. Certainly made the wife and the dog jump.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

Just back from the Ben the Border Collie Appreciation Society, where a new member and a rejoining member gave him lots of appreciation as did everyone else.

Me, I did some painting of thatch which now looks much better, some fence painting, and some viaduct piers got painted as well.

Various decisions were made, unfortunately meaning I have even more fencing to make.

It's rained all day and it's raining now, I'm hoping to finish some raised beds tomorrow.

In the meantime a cup of choccy awaits.

Good night...

• Like 17

I took the car in for an oil change today. The mechanic looked at their records and said "This is your sixth change, so it's free." I had completely forgotten about their loyalty program, so that was a nice surprise.

Yes, I know I should do my own changes, but the car is so low at the front that I can't get under it, and I can't even find a set of ramps that it will run up without catching. And I do not like going under cars on jackstands.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Well the car has now had its first service, nothing untoward was found, but then it’s run perfectly since the day I bought it so that was no big surprise. I was told that it’s next due in 12 months or at 12,000 miles, I said, I’ll see you in 12 months, it’s only got 1620 on the clock after 9 months, I used to do that a month when I worked.

Tonight we had James and Amelia round for tea. It was nice to see them as we they haven’t been here for a couple of weeks, as Amelia wasn’t well last week.

The evening was finished off with a bottle of red and a bit of catching up with some recorded TV.

Goodnight all.

• Like 16

The weather here has been great all week and the humming birds are back, but today it looked a bit hazy. It's too early for heat-haze so I thought it must be people burning slash piles. The evening sunlight is tinted slightly orange. Then I looked at my truck. It's covered in a layer of pollen. All the conifers seem to have let go at the same time.

• Like 6

The weather here has been great all week and the humming birds are back, but today it looked a bit hazy. It's too early for heat-haze so I thought it must be people burning slash piles. The evening sunlight is tinted slightly orange. Then I looked at my truck. It's covered in a layer of pollen. All the conifers seem to have let go at the same time.

Andy, we had the conifer pollen explosion a couple of weeks ago. I've never noticed it to be so intense. My patio still has a yellow film. The covers on my garden furniture are a yellow mess too.

We hit temperatures here around (or close to) 30°C for the last few days. Temperatures dropped to a high of 13°C today with rain, so perhaps you have that to look forward to.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14

Then I looked at my truck. It's covered in a layer of pollen. All the conifers seem to have let go at the same time.

We haven't had the annual pollen storm yet. However, when we do, Pacific Coast Terminals here in Port Moody will have to issue their usual denial. They have huge piles of sulphur on site, and are accused every year of letting powder blow off these piles. Yellow powder in the terminal - yellow powder on the gardens, decks etc. - obviously the same stuff, no?

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!

Blue skies here at the moment but it isn't very warm.

Looks like we could have a wet afternoon so wet weather umpiring gear will be worn.

Have a nice day everyone especially those who ails.

Baz

Ps hope Chrisf has had a good start to his journey

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a damp Surrey.

A few beers with our friend who moved back to Cumbria form Ottawa last Autumn as he is in London before flying to the USA for a railtour. Would love to be doing the railtour.

Today to Mums new place then home to load the Czech layout into the car ready for the trip to the GRS show in Didcot tomorrow.

After that its to meet up in a pub somewhere with other friends down from Cumbria who have their Swiss layouts at the Epsom show this weekend.

• Like 17

If you have been reading the Reading timetable you may notice the train left Earley early.

The old jokes are the best! When I lived in Wokingham, there were often variations on the early from Earley theme. My brother lives in Lower Earley. It has been said that it was Upper Earley until he moved in!

BrIght and sunny here so I will walk to the Post Office to dispatch an eBay sale item. Eardrums currently being assaulted as Mrs G is doing here violin practice and Scott Joplin’s “The Entertainer” is being murdered!

• Like 4