The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Went to bed a bit late last night, not that I missed any sleep, I just went to sleep in my comfy armchair for an hour or so. Not a lot else to report and muggatee # 2 awaits so be back later.

I had Brussels sprouts.

Or pickled eggs?

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I'm in the middle of a situation on Messenger which is best decribed as 'don't call me, I'll call you'.  This is less than handy when arrangements need to be made.  The other party claims to be 'not really busy' but chewed me up on Monday for messaging him in Budapest!  We have a long history of one-sided conversations but when one is asked for help it is churlish to say No straight away.

You are far more tolerant than me Chris.

Although I am always prepared to go out of my way to help, after a certain point, I invite the other party to 'take a running f*** at a rolling doughnut'.

It's their loss

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I didn't know that in learned scientific circles nowadays that sulphur was now sulfur. Samsung predictive text just changed sulfur to silver anyway.

Various articles suggest that outside scientific publications sulphur is in British English still the usual spelling.

What about aluminium. Is that still approved?

• Like 13

Morning all,

Paying work completed for the day, time to have a little relaxation before starting on the monthly payments.

The news:

1. "Hettie The Yeti" (our Skoda) is currently at the body shop having the front left wing repaired. A week ago I was slowly driving away from the car wash at the garage when a SAAB - driven by a young and enthusiastic mechanic - reversed at high speed into Hettie as I was making a turn. The young lad hadn't even seen me as the SAAB's brake lights didn't even come on - even at the very last second. Although Hettie took a battering, the SAAB came out second best: bits of tailight and bumper scattered all over the tarmac. However, an acceptable solution was arrived at with the young man's boss: car repaired, a very nice loaner provided (a 2018 VW Touran "Sound" edition) and they are repairing some parking damage (deep scratches and chipped paint [mea culpa :cry:] on rear bumper) at cost. It would have been nice to have had done for free as a gesture of good will, but you can't have everything. As the garage is taking care of the repairs directly, the insurance companies are remaining in blissful ignorance and consequently premiums remain unaltered  :sungum:
  2. I have been following the debate on citizenship with some interest. I became a Swiss citizen through a facilated programme as my wife is Swiss. I was able to make a choice of having my "heimort" either in where I live in Baselland or in Baselstadt. Given that tthe Gemeinde where I live wanted a percentage of my yearly income, whilst Baselstadt had just a fixed fee, the choice was easy. But because you can claim two "heimatort" (and because I live in BL) my second "heimatort" is in BL, which meant that Leistal (the Kanton's capital) took care of all the forms. Like nearly everything in Switzerland, the process was indeed bureaucratic, but efficient and with pleasant interactions with all officials involved.
  3. "Compare and Contrast" Citizenship procedures! From afar, it is very hard not to come to the conclusion that the UK's Home Office is staffed by a combination of jobsworths, well meaning incompetents and time servers who could neither care less about doing their jobs properly or care about the effect their incompetence has on the individuals involved. Also, "from afar", (and hopefully without getting too political) I can't help thinking that the current Windrush situation is down to some idiots in Government (both parties being culpable - the rot goes back a while) deciding "something must be done about immigration" (or more accurately "something must be seen to be done about immigration") and unable (through incompetence and ignorance) and unwilling (through political expediency) to target those so-called immigrants that should be targeted, have set their sights on "easy targets" - such as the Windrush people. In an ideal world, or this level of incompetence disruption to people's lives civil servants' heads would roll and their political masters (past and present) would do the honourable thing and resign from office. No such luck...
  4. On a more cheerful note. The lapsteel guitar has received its' Numerous coats of Fire Engine/Pillar Box/Ferrari Red (not sure what is the best descriptor), the headstock has been painted black and it's now slated for repeated gentle sandiing with wet 'wet and dry' sandpaper: starting at 800 Grit and working my up (or is it down) to 2000 grit. Then it'll be applying headstock and fretboard transfers, a few coats of clear varrnish and then a buff and - possibly - wax. Fortuitously, Monday week Lidl will have a polishing machine for sale at a very reasonable price. Pictures to follow.
  5. As I have only been dipping in and out of ERs over the past days (real paying work to do!) I am not really up to date on the vicissitudes of those in unfortunate situations: such as Debs, ChrisF and AndyRam amongst others. My best wishes for a speedy and successful resolution to their problems.

Well, that's about it for now. Will check back later

Stay Frosty

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mike

nice M&S. Yes its one of the 9 Prototype Challenger 2s. It was outside the works in Newcastle - when that was sold it was moved to the Discovery Museum in Newcastle.

The place which built most of them - Barnbow in Crossgates, Leeds has NOTHING as our beloved City Council don't like "dirty, filthy Engineering Works" - the words come from a leading money grabber  councilor.  We wanted to get a Chieftain, Challenger 1 and Challenger 2 MBTs and put them on the CrossGates roundabout... we have.. a set of over sized Gates...

iL Dottore.. just try dealing with the Civil Service.. and ex Government owned institutions...  :rtfm:

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Ta dah!

Dining room

post-27337-0-02797700-1524739383_thumb.jpeg

Living room

post-27337-0-23214400-1524739471_thumb.jpeg

I’ve definitely earned a few brownie points now, they’re both in before Sheila has got home!

I’m off to tidy the cellar now.

Back later

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

You think Canadians are normal?

Outside one house during 2017 in Chilliwack, BC:

Good morning, Pete.

Hoodlum cats , kids and racoons. Obviously a nice neighbourhood...

• Like 2

So I've been checking various trains for the next week.

National Rail gave me Grove Park to Waterloo East for tomorrow, but anything more complex like details, forget it, hissy fit and fall over.

So onto individual companies. Southern only provides pdfs - actually quite useful and I have the timing to catch the Ewell East train (for Nescot on Saturday) at Gwiver's House of Entertainment. Also the time back, vital to catch as there is only an hourly service to Ewell East!

TfL for Romford on Sunday. First look made it clear the Lewisham - Stratford DLR isn't working but as I'm taking the bike, an alternative route must exclude tube and bus. Ticking those boxes reverts to today, changing to Sunday re-instates those options. So I had to separately check Lewisham to Woolwich Arsenal and Woolwich Arsenal to Stratford!

Southwesterntrains to Salisbury next Saturday. No interest in train times, just want to flog a ticket. And when I found the outward trains, it blocked out the returns with a CHAT box. No thanx (is that the correct new spelling)? Finally, why are singles train dependant, but one inflated price for a return? I'll buy at Waterloo tomorrow - need to anyway to acquire the bike tickets.

Off to dentist for a filling. Feeling like an old git.

Bill

• RMweb Gold

I didn't know that in learned scientific circles nowadays that sulphur was now sulfur. Samsung predictive text just changed sulfur to silver anyway.

Various articles suggest that outside scientific publications sulphur is in British English still the usual spelling.

What about aluminium. Is that still approved?

Hope it stays the same  - the American term sounds horrid.

• RMweb Gold

As the garage is taking care of the repairs directly, the insurance companies are remaining in blissful ignorance and consequently premiums remain unaltered  :sungum:

My experience of the UK car insurance market is that you always report any work that has been done for repairs, whoever is responsible or whether any cost are involved. In the unfortunate event of having another prang, and the earlier repairs are discovered by an assessor, one can have rather awkward and embarrassing explanations with your insurer. 

"Compare and Contrast" Citizenship procedures! From afar, it is very hard not to come to the conclusion that the UK's Home Office is staffed by a combination of jobsworths, well meaning incompetents and time servers who could neither care less about doing their jobs properly or care about the effect their incompetence has on the individuals involved. Also, "from afar", (and hopefully without getting too political) I can't help thinking that the current Windrush situation is down to some idiots in Government (both parties being culpable - the rot goes back a while) deciding "something must be done about immigration" (or more accurately "something must be seen to be done about immigration") and unable (through incompetence and ignorance) and unwilling (through political expediency) to target those so-called immigrants that should be targeted, have set their sights on "easy targets" - such as the Windrush people. In an ideal world, or this level of incompetence disruption to people's lives civil servants' heads would roll and their political masters (past and present) would do the honourable thing and resign from office. No such luck.

Many on here would probably be far more satisfied if the political masters you refer to would go into a room and do the honourable thing with the mess Webley. (Other manufacturers products are equally acceptable).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Many on here would probably be far more satisfied if the political masters you refer to would go into a room and do the honourable thing with the mess Webley. (Other manufacturers products are equally acceptable).

How many boxes of ammunition would you need to put in there to do the job properly.

Jamie

• Like 1

Sadly the proper UK spelling is now with an F, it was officially changed in the last couple of the years. (It was on Pointless they must be right :O)

I also worked for an American company so all the documentation was with an F anyway..

I've a feeling Tungston will turn into Wolfram soon

Sulfur, issues, aluminum, train stations when will it goddam end you guys. I'm off to get a donut.

• RMweb Gold

How many boxes of ammunition would you need to put in there to do the job properly.

Jamie

Enough to keep Radway Green busy for a few more years

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dunno about "approved", but I still get howls of laughter/derision/tut-tuts when I say it :) damn Yankees!

BIN day, but not for me ;)

P!ssed with rain here all day yesterday and resulted in a very foggy evening.

Item overlooked from the trip out - was a VERY clear night so here's Manhattan from about 12,000'

This "scientific" determination based on the approach charts for JFK, our landing runway and the fact the landing lights came on right after - routine to turn them on passing through 10,000 - there, isn't THAT "too much information"  :jester:

attachicon.gifManhattan-042418.jpg

10 and partly sunny driving in, mostly cockwomble free as I left about 5 minutes earlier, just by chance.

Heading for POETS tomorrow, everyone take care.

Superb shot.

I will be travelling under there in August on Amtrak.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I am still unhappy about the 'f' rather than the 'ph' and spell checker always tries to change my surnames ... of which the last two letters have no 'sound'.  I put it down to the fact that 'phonetics' (great to see that 'f' has not hit that word yet) has taken over again at junior level because many of the current generation cannot 'spell for toffee' ... what an expression that is!  I think back to being told "Not to use red in marking- use pencil so they can rub it out - and do not correct spelling mistakes because you will discourage them"

• Like 4

Debs Update

This round of chemo is really knocking her about with nausea. The medical team has sedated her to allow her to rest, really so that the medication has a chance to work. The poor girl still has two rounds of Chemo to go.

This current round of Chemo ends at 02:00 tomorrow (Friday) and Jen will be back on duty in the morning. She will update me as necessary.

Debs sent me a wave emoticon this morning.

I'm sure wavering will understand that I will not be forwarding any messages until I get the OK from sister Jen so that Debs is not fretting that she's not replying. But please keep them coming - I'm stacking them up. Debs really, really, appreciates that we are all wishing her well and keeping her amused with our news.

• RMweb Gold

I have mentioned before that Aditi wrote her dissertation with all spell checking and grammar advice turned off. She was quite upset that the external examiners at her viva found an error. She had inserted an extra full stop somewhere. She turned off the spell check as it kept flagging up nearly every word she used and as for the grammar/ style suggestions she didn't agree with them.

• Like 1

So I've been checking various trains for the next week.

National Rail gave me Grove Park to Waterloo East for tomorrow, but anything more complex like details, forget it, hissy fit and fall over.

Bill

Network Rail planner stopped working on my PC some time ago. I cannot even enter the starting station name without it crashing. However, it works fine on my iPhone. Are PCs now regarded as obsolete by NR?

Tony

Are PCs now regarded as obsolete by NR?

The 'phone is a much more controlled environment on which to manage software. For a mobile, travelling public it certainly warrants being the highest priority platform to support.

Software development and support is expensive. Necessarily work gets prioritized. Or it could be bureaucratic incompetence. I wouldn't know.

• Like 1