The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Erm, wouldn't it be the other way around?

OOps - brain fade. It was the early 1990s

The error occurred in our workshops as the spec was in US gallons and our in-works test team didn't see the quantity referred to US gallons......

Our commissioning engineers turned up in the test area to find a large pool of oil etc, etc........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

What's with this awl nonsense did I miss something.   :scratchhead:

Yours B Wildered

No, it’s not awl nonsense. It’s a finely chiseled piece of rhetoric. :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I‘m not at all familiar with the environment concerning employment law in the UK but my common sense tells me that some kind of auto reply - selectively to work-related contacts, if possible - may indeed be a sensible way of dealing with those intrusive messages while you’re signed off, Andy.

I have no way of judging how much of a red line being signed off from work due to illness is under British law, though, but I do seem to remember that employers generally are informed of the actual cause for someone’s absence. So, any advice I could give you from within the German system may not be suitable for the UK - as I may have mentioned before, employers in Germany generally are not entitled to being informed of the specifics of any diagnosis (except in certain circumstances where medical assessments are legally required for determining aptitude for a job, for example), and I am sure that’s not the only difference.

I was off for a couple of weeks in late 2001. They were simply told I had SRI and I would be in touch towards the end of those two weeks. (Although I had a home email, they didn't contact me on it and I couldn't access work emails from home anyway)

The HR guy did visit me at home when I said I was coming back for a "back to work" interview.  This wouldn't have been done for a physical illness such as a broken bone/sprain etc.

Cheers,

Mick

Probably mentioned this before, but we're awl right here.

"They were first encountered by French fur traders in the late 18th and early 19th century, who referred to them as Cœur d'Alêne, meaning "heart of an awl", reflecting their experience of the tribal traders as tough businessmen, "sharp-hearted" or "shrewd".

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Once upon a time the US pint and the UK pint were the same, then the UK changed their's, so you could say the US pint is the "proper" one :)

It makes a change that something in the UK is larger than the US equivalent.....

Cheers,

Mick

I took a disc of my trip to Marktshorgast round to Tony A, then carried on for a walk round Petts Wood.  Still very muddy underfoot and the bluebells are still a week away.  A woman had lost a black lab.  I noted the address and asked how the dog was off the lead.  "She ok unless she smells food".  Typical lab. 

Keep well all.

Bill

• Like 16

The emails were sent to my personal email.

There would be a plethora of reasons to choose from for not opening them, from me. My broadband failed, the email wouldnt open, couldnt log in, its my private email, I have a life outside work, .................

There would be a plethora of reasons to choose from for not opening them, from me. My broadband failed, the email wouldnt open, couldnt log in, its my private email, I have a life outside work, .................

Rather than the spam folder, AndyRam, filter them to a specifically created folder and simply say you hadn't seen them! If you don't open the folder, you can not have seen them - seemples!

Make sure your email also asks you before sending a read receipt, just in case you do open them! Just say No.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Nice to see Deb’s popping in this morning.

Well the sun did finally come out after dinner and it turned into a beautiful day. Both radiator covers are now at the same stage and as complete as they can be at present. I just need to get some beading to go round the edge of both tops and then it’s just a case of painting them.

This evening we had our usual mid-month Indian takeaway, mmmmmmm, always a good one from our local. That was followed by a nice bottle of red.

I only have a paper driving license, as I’ve never needed to replace it due to the fact that we’ve lived at the same address now for over 38 years! It’s valid until August 2026, after that I will have to get a photo one.

Goodnight all

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

It was raining when we went for coffee and papers this morning. By the time we finished the groceries there was frozen/freezing water on the car. The rest of the day was variations of frozen water with lots of wind. The landscape is now solid white again. Salt/sand truck went by a few times but little else. Planning on coffee at home tomorrow unless there's a big change.

If the power goes out, can we use the gas stove without an exhaust fan?

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner Temple,

A good nights sleep,

Awaiting a pair of brown eyes demanding his patrol.

Cladding planned today for the shed.

Breakfast and ibuprofen required first.

Meantime, try for additional doze...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all and a special good morning to the weilder of the awlful awl who completes another circuit of the sun today. I very much hope that the next 12 months are a great improvement on the last set.

Here we got various tasks done yesterday and I even put some more racking up in the cavern and did some sorting out. Then it was out for a meal at a restaurant that I tried in January. It wasn't brilliant but the dessert was a good finale.  The lamb chops however were more fat than meat.   It was an interesting experience but we won't be going back. However the evening was made up for when we got home.   As we pulled up Beth saw one of the owls come out of the barn and fly off so we got out of the car and watched and waited for a bit.  The top end of the barn was silhouetted against the remains of the sunset.  We suddenly saw both of the owls flying round, one went in and the other flew off. We've never seen both at the same time before.  As we went to go inside one flew low right past us.  Brilliant. 

This morning it's off to the Sunday market  for a good browse then the G word has been mentioned for this afternoon of the weather holds up.   

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!

Apparently we are undertaking another walk today. I may need to remind my legs how to walk as they are quite stiff from yesterday's walking.

If today is the day, Happy Birthday Debs. Let's hope you get to have a better year away from all sadness and ailments.

As to everyone else, enjoy your day!

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all and awl best wishes for a Happy Birthday to Debs,

A bit of a grey start here, there may be some bright spells but rain is forecast later.

I'm still aching after yesterday's exertions and my back has joined my knee in protesting. Can't sit around though as it will be a busy day here as we having a small birthday bash from lunchtime onwards for (son) Steve although his birthday isn't actually until Tuesday. Twenty+ friends and family are expected and (I am told) there is "much to do." I am I/C hoovering and latrines whilst The Boss, of course,  will be wielding her magic wand in the galley. It seems we are having mainly curry at the request of Steve so about 4 different types will be on the go. Looking forward to that (them).   :imsohappy:

Before all that though I need some breakfast to fortify me.  :yes:

Have a good one, 

Bob.

• Like 17

Wish I could get everyone to stop giving out my gmail address instead of their own. There are about four of them now. Most of them seem to be in the auntie-pods.

I get regular emails from a dating site in India, calling me 'Swami', and offering many matches for my 'profile..'

Obviously they haven't seen my profile  :jester: