The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Thoughts are with you Tony & Aditi, rest in peace Matthew.

This is a local gospel singer who frequently sings with our choir, we've sung this often with him, and I offer this version of one of my favorite memorial songs, for the day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RTMzMv888A

Foggy here on Long Island, barely 1/4 mile visibility, 9C and possibly 15 for a high. Seems my eyes are rather cloudy also...

• Like 2

I've never owned a Citroen - and I hate them... (Don't ask me how I've come to that conclusion - I don't know myself.)

:)

Cheers,

Mick

I've just bought a C4 Picasso Exclusive, it's my first Citroen and after my Peugeot 308 SW it feels strange. All the Toys on it, and Diesel Auto at 70+ mpg but still doesn't feel like a proper car.

Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful, quiet smooth and very comfortable but. :O

Been in the Motor Trade most of my life, so should have known that a BOX will never drive like a Car. :no:  :no:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 17

With the rust carefully disguised by the look of things and at that price the engine will inevitably have oval bores, the perennial problem of Citroen flat fours.  Suit wealthy(?) London based solicitor as a third car perchance?

I particularly like the strategic use of dark blue paint and pinstriping.

The one letdown is that it doesn't have the drum speedo which the LHD cars received. RHD cars only got that, with satellite pods, in the GSA revamp.

unusualsuspects.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon Folks, from a still dismal & grey Newport. I had looked forward to a bright & sunny afternoon: Well, you know the rest...

A packet of Romford wagon bearings have shown up today, so hopefully some serious wagon building will take place.

Have a nice afternoon/evening, and enjoy.

Ian.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

Left work, at 15:00 with dampness in the eyes, at exactly that point it started raining.

Noted artic lorry load of logs half on opposite kerb, tyre blown on trailer.

Shortly after, cockwomble one, big motorcycle with lots of fully faired in panniers, decided to overtake just as I reach centre island, he squeezed in without being squashed only because I braked heavily. On turning into major road, two lanes each way no central reservation. Cockwomble drives down middle forcing cars to swerve to avoid him.

Visited big orange shed, collected large amount of sheets of polystyrene, for their intended purpose.

Coming back at the exactly same central reservation big mercedes 4x4 did a last of the late brakers to get in front of me.

The noted artic, now had a tyre changing van behind it, and half the road closed off, big jams ensued.

Soon after leaving the NDR on an A road, a blue cockwomble stops his car to let a grey cockwomble in from a C class road. I note an Arnold Clark sticker in window of grey cockwomble, and Scottish number plates, a long way from home.... Grey cockwomble then proceeds at 15 mph below the limit on dry clear A roads. Blue cockwomble exits stage right, leaving me behind grey cockwomble at red traffic lights.

I read a small yellow and black sticker in the back window, " Sorry Black box monitored, I cannot go over the speed limit"

I would a loved if he got anywhere near the limit, eventually in the landrover, I had an easy overtake...

Time to... wind up the fire before the temperature drops this evening, as we still have no gas.

We have a 250 gallon (US) propane tank supplying a gas fire that heats most of our living space. The gas company seem to have a pretty good algorithm for refilling the tank. We've never had to call them in over twenty years.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I particularly like the strategic use of dark blue paint and pinstriping.

The one letdown is that it doesn't have the drum speedo which the LHD cars received. RHD cars only got that, with satellite pods, in the GSA revamp.

unusualsuspects.jpg

They must be an offshot of WWW Barryboys.com :jester:

• Like 1

I have effectively bought the new truck but I don't have it yet. That's because I have not got the old truck back from the garage that's fixing it.

The dealer was so keen to make the sale on the new truck before the end of March that we conducted the sale without him ever seeing my old truck! This may be something of a first, by I dunno.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hi .

Just a quick post to say thank you for all your kind thoughts. I havent been able to individually respond to posts today.

I am just having a quiet moment by myself before rejoining the relatives who arrived this morning. Quiet as in by myself, as I think the hotel bottle bank outside our room is being refilled. I am ok but I don't feel like lunch. The funeral car collects us after 2pm. The funeral is at 3. The university chaplain will lead the proceedings. He offered to yesterday and his memorial to Matthew was so lovely we quickly accepted. Jennifer from geography admin will sing a traditional funeral lament as shen did yesterday.

Thank you all again.

Tony.

:cry:

Is all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very quiet here now.

The funeral was uplifting and dignified. Poems, songs and personal recollections. I didn't speak today, I spoke at length yesterday!

Aditi's brother and a post grad friend of his spoke.

The Irish traditional songs were magnificently sung unaccompanied by Jennifer from Admin and the lament played by Matthew's friends husband on his flute as the coffin descended was just so right. Quite a few people came back to the hotel for a cup of tea and some cakes and a few other drinks. Aditi's brother and co set off at 6.30 to return. They'll have to work tomorrow.

The chaplain who led the proceedings was superb.

Going for something to eat now.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

It's nice to hear your day went well Tony may your Gods be with you all. 

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Glad it went well Tony. I can imagine the shock of Matthew's death will be wearing off over the next period, but the hurt will remain for a fair while longer. I'm sure I speak on behalf of all ER's that we share your sadness and will support you and Aditi for whatever time you need.

You certainly speak for me.  Nothing to add here except our continuing best wishes and supportive thoughts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Glad it went well Tony. I can imagine the shock of Matthew's death will be wearing off over the next period, but the hurt will remain for a fair while longer. I'm sure I speak on behalf of all ER's that we share your sadness and will support you and Aditi for whatever time you need.

Aye, Vincent. Can only second what you put so well...

Apologies for being late on parade myself, so I’m relieved to hear everything about the funeral went as well as such an event can ever go. It certainly sounds like it was a dignified farewell.

May I just post this before pouring me a glass to raise in Matthew‘s memory...

Also sending thoughts to Debs and crossing fingers for her to feel better in due course.

Night, all.

Edited by NGT6 1315
  • Like 14

My thoughts too are with you, Tony and Aditi.

I could not stay another day,

To love, to laugh, to work or play;

Tasks left undone must stay that way.

And if my parting has left a void,

Then fill it with remembered joy.

Very nice, and apt

Night awl

• Like 1