The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I recall not one Spoonerism but several puns

Greetings

I note that there has been a shaft of wit in this thread.  Other spooonerisms are available.

I rather think that shaft of wit is a very good Spoonerism. 

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Gold

Good morning Folks, A much brighter day down here in sunny Newport.

Some dog walking beckons, then a serious attack of the 'domestics' will take place. later on, some preparation work for some kitchen tiling. No real modelling today; I really need to get on with the house whilst Mrs Smith is away. I need to amass as many Brownie points as possible.

Have a great weekend folks, and enjoy.

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

And welcome RhBBob - presumably we can now rank our little corner of the forum as including a confusion of Bobs?   Mrs Stationmaster refuses to grow lettuce in her veg patch regarding them as a waste of valuable space but in due time I can probably have a leek handy if a carrot is considered inadequate.

There is no need to bother with any fighting supermarket visit today as we are apparently fully stocked with various comestibles and I can't be bothered with the 'paper on a Saturday as t has too many extra sections to throw away.  If the past two days are any guide I expect things will down to the final bunch of cockwombles professionally blocking the aisles while they look for such elusive items as crisps and Easter Egg; I have pointed out to herself taht it would be useless taking in any prescription requests as they won't go to the surgery until Tuesday.

I hope the trip to Ireland will go as well as it can for Tony and Aditi and my thoughts are with them for the coming days.  Hoping to hear further good news of Debs and trusting that Simon and Mal are both on courses of continuing improvement.  Now time for mugatea No.3 as the boiling of the second kettleful of water times the brewing process process in the teapot - soon another taste of Yorkshire will be passing my lips.

• Like 17

What would a spoonerism of spoonerism be?

Technically, it wouldn't be anything other than an anagram! (There's a possible double entendre in there!)

The classic, I believe from Dr. Spooner himself, is the idea of raising a glass to the queer old dean.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Technically, it wouldn't be anything other than an anagram! (There's a possible double entendre in there!)

The classic, I believe from Dr. Spooner himself, is the idea of raising a glass to the queer old dean.

At the mention of anagrams - this is on the jokes thread.

I will be venturing to Kroy tomorrow.........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 12

....The Madder Valley was not on top form either but it remains fascinating.  John Ahern certainly knew the value of naturally grouped buildings and perspective.  ...

It has been said elsewhere that the Madder Valley never really ran particularly well, and age is unlikely to have improved running qualities. But that wasn't the point of the MV.

I am now over round 3 of the chemo, as the stomach tightness has finally gone.  Energy levels are still low, which is to be expected, as my blood counts will be low for the next week or so.  I managed a walk around the beach yesterday, and down to the Post Office this morning, to post a CD to the BBC in Leeds.  Sadly, the PO wasn't open, so the CD will have to wait until Tuesday.  I have extracted a section of film from the old CKPR of the line between Keswick & Threlkeld, as the BBC are doing a programme on the Lake District and had specifically asked for any film of this section.

My son showed me a short piece of Youtube video that Debs might like - a collie on a sled in the snow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q0-k8_90UM

Still thinking of Tony & Aditi, and hoping that they have the strength to cope with everything.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Firstly, and most importantly, can I echo the sentiments that I hope Tony and Aditi's trip to Ireland goes as well as it can given the appalling circumstances.

Secondly, may I pick your brains.

I have never used car insurance comparison sites before, I have just negotiated a better price with my current insurer.  However I would like to give them a go. I took the risk of entering my details into one this morning (I made the assumption that they can be as trusted as anyone on the net and most of the details would be out there somewhere anyway) and was pleasantly surprised by the returns.  Having double checked the level of cover provided I have found one that I am happy with. I suppose that you will never find out how good they really are until you have to make a claim. 

Now a couple of questions if you don't mind.  If you have done so, are you happy using these sites and changing insurers year on year?  Are there any pitfalls?  Is it a case of simply clicking to go to the insurer's site, buying online and telling my old insurer that I don't want to renew?

• Like 8

Perhaps the solution to the multi-Bob question is for me to revert to my given names of Kenneth Robert; it was a dynasty I think as the man who claimed to be my Father was Kenneth as is my older cousin. So I became Robert and everyone else in the world called me ‘Bob’ except the woman who reckoned she was my Mother.

She proudly proclaimed that ‘Robert’ was the name I was given and if anyone rang her to say that they had seen her Bob, she would answer ‘Who, dear ?’

Try flying to Spain with a travel document that says ‘Bob’ and a passport that says ‘Kenneth Robert’.

However, (wake up at the back, there !) she did say that once she was gone, I could ‘do what I liked’. So, just after my 64th Birthday, I changed my name to plain old Bob.

Then again, my late unmissed Father-in-Law did once write ‘Bod’ on my Birthday card so maybe.......

I shall return once you have got your breath back....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Firstly, and most importantly, can I echo the sentiments that I hope Tony and Aditi's trip to Ireland goes as well as it can given the appalling circumstances.

Secondly, may I pick your brains.

I have never used car insurance comparison sites before, I have just negotiated a better price with my current insurer.  However I would like to give them a go. I took the risk of entering my details into one this morning (I made the assumption that they can be as trusted as anyone on the net and most of the details would be out there somewhere anyway) and was pleasantly surprised by the returns.  Having double checked the level of cover provided I have found one that I am happy with. I suppose that you will never find out how good they really are until you have to make a claim. 

Now a couple of questions if you don't mind.  If you have done so, are you happy using these sites and changing insurers year on year?  Are there any pitfalls?  Is it a case of simply clicking to go to the insurer's site, buying online and telling my old insurer that I don't want to renew?

I've been using the Meerkats for 3 or 4 years now and am quite happy with them. A couple of things to note:  Some insurance companies won't register with them so you could possibly miss a deal from those. Also you need to double check what the companies quoted are actually offering. I always ask for things like NCD protection and legal protection but very often the low quotes that come up don't show them and will be an extra.

HTH.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all. We have Lostwithiel, which might be considered careless, yet here we are. A Cornish oxymoron. And back in the Duchy for Easter.

Welcome Bob. Do we need to distinguish between Bobs by some means?

Our continued best wishes to all

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps at RMWeb meets they might easily identify themselves by wearing Bobble hats with their respective names emblazoned on the front.

They could be worth a bob or two.

Granddad and Swiss would seem to be the easy answer to the multi bobbing issue. 

Perhaps at RMWeb meets they might easily identify themselves by wearing Bobble hats with their respective names emblazoned on the front.

Nah. GDB is easily identifiable by the plasters.

• RMweb Gold

Probably more acceptable to said gents then naming them all surely Shirley Sharon ;)

I believe I have reported before that some of my "friends" have called me Kate in the past. (Blackadder fans will understand this)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Now your being silly.  :onthequiet:

I was only called Robert by my family and if it was my parents It would normally mean I'd be in the sh!t for doing something wrong followed by a whack on the butt.  :umbrage:

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

We are progressing slowly towards getting ready to go tomorrow lunchtime. I have successfully checked in online and got boarding passes on our phones but have printed some paper ones too.

Aditi's brother , his wife and their children have arrived for a visit today. This is nice. The tiny nieces have chosen a book for me to read to them,Thomas the Tank Engine.

We contacted the funeral director last night and said he could start any of the procedures necessary for a cremation in Ireland. We will meet him on Monday at the hotel.

I noticed the insurance comparison posts.

When I was looking at possible replacement cars recently I entered details into some sites. I did add on all the extras but it was worth checking things like protection while driving abroad. Some had just the minimum required for EU travel others included comprehensive EU cover.

Tony