The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

My mother's forenames were Joyce Marguerite. She was always known as Margaret, never by any of the abbreviated forms of Margaret. Her younger sister was called Florence May. Their mother was a Florence. Aunty Florrie always told everyone outside the family her name was Mary and we were told to always refer to her as Mary if we met her when out shopping or calling at her house. She hated her name and felt that my Mum should have got their mother's name.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

More creative bagpipes

Now you know why his hair is like that...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2

Martyn Bennett brought the pipes up to date with some beats - saw him at La Belle Angele before it burnt down, a fabulous evening. Sadly, Canadian-Scot Martyn died in Edinburgh in 2005, aged just 33.

Here he is playing the pipes:

His best albums are probably the eponymous Martyn Bennett and Bothy Culture

Mal

• Like 5

My mother's forenames were Joyce Marguerite. ... Her younger sister was called Florence May. Their mother was a Florence. Aunty Florrie ...

I can see why someone wouldn't want to be called Aunt Flo*. (A welcome and unwelcome visitor, depending on circumstances.)

* I'm not sure if that has the same meaning in UK slang.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

HER went shopping today and saw the Farmercyst about a blister on her side the dear woman could not help SWMBO and was told to see the doctor which SHE did it turns out SHE had

been bitten while gardening yesterday, the poor bloody bug didn't stand a chance no doubt it's laid out somewhere with it's legs in the air brown bread.  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

The tune could easily have been around in the time of Marlborough and taken to Australia by a transported convict circa 1790 - a forbear of Banjo Patterson, perhaps.

That is a view held by a number of folk aficionados and by the members of the band Last Orders who I managed at the time.  Some of the band were also interested in military history which gave rise to their own investigations into the origin of the song as well as them writing several of their own in similar vein and playing numerous gigs at Sealed Knot Society re-enactments.  

However it appears one can "prove" anything and there are assertions apparently just as valid that the tune post-dates Marlborough or that those words were actually later than thought by some and post-date Paterson's work but borrowed the tune.  It might be of passing interest to observe that The Seekers, who are considered to be well-versed (pun intended) in Australian folk music, perform "Waltzing Matilda" to a quite different tune which is not widely known elsewhere.

• Like 1

However it appears one can "prove" anything and there are assertions apparently just as valid that the tune post-dates Marlborough or that those words were actually later than thought by some and post-date Paterson's work but borrowed the tune. 

There seems to be no dissent that "The Star Spangled Banner" was written to the tune of "To Anacreon in Heaven" - published in the Georgian period.

Repurposing tunes for alternative lyrics is pretty common in American College fight songs and state songs. There are some really weird combinations. A song named "Maryland, My Maryland" (the state song of that state) which contains some controversial Civil War era lyrics is sung to the tune of, (of all things) "O Tannenbaum". 

• RMweb Gold

o observe that The Seekers, who are considered to be well-versed (pun intended) in Australian folk music, perform "Waltzing Matilda" to a quite different tune which is not widely known elsewhere.

Are The Seekers still going?  I liked their singing and they had a heyday in UK in late 60' early 70s and then disappeared.

Of all the groups, guitarists etc. that have appeared on this thread they are the only one that I recognised, brass banding was the interest in my formative years.

• Like 9

Ref. the proposed gathering at Ally Pally, 12:00 @ Gaugemaster stand, who shows up shows up. What we do from there is fluid and open to discussion at the time.

See you there!

• Like 9

Ref. the proposed gathering at Ally Pally, 12:00 @ Gaugemaster stand, who shows up shows up. What we do from there is fluid and open to discussion at the time.

See you there!

Have fun, I won't be in the country.

Bill

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

As our very own "Queen of Collies" isn't around, I'll risk another nasty-fruit implementation from Mr Frankenfoot ;)

This is a video I could have made (but I didn't!)

One point if you can name me the right country, two points for naming the correct line of the first snow-sequence and 3 points if you can name the correct section of that line ;)

Answers (don't peek!):

1) Norway

2) Bergen-Oslo line

3) between Finse and Geilo

(select the text above to make it visible again)

:)

I haven't peeked, honest but the answer to the first question is Norway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My mother was christened Asenath but preferred to be called Zen. Unfortunately that was as close to being looked up to by people as she got.

Been a busy Bee today, lots to do tomorrow so goodnight everyone.

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 15

Should you happen to like the uilleann pipes and organ music, you might enjoy Celtic Solstice featuring Davy Spillane on the pipes. A track here

I like "Sweet Comeragh" sung by Karan Casey.

One of the tracks is called "Farewell to Govan" which has some significance because Lorna was a student nurse at the Suffering General in Govan (at the time of the Ibrox Disaster.)

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 7