The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I seem to have missed that even when I did listen to Radio 2 when driving. I either listen to 6Music now or a CD..

Tony

Just for you... :jester:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=santa%27s+a+scotsman+on+youtube&view=detail&mid=7452496978F8BEF92CCF7452496978F8BEF92CCF&FORM=VIRE

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Gold

This tail chasing regarding the precription is proving far more frustrating than I could ever have imagined.

And having worked with teenagers for nigh on 40 years I know what frustration can be like.

• RMweb Gold
That is very kind of you. However I had already Googled it and had been taken to a YouTube presentation. It isn't even on our Christmas Hits CD. Though that is so old it even has a Gary Glitter tune on it Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon everybody,

I'm a lucky guy, just opened my email and see that in the (junk) inbox I have an email from Ikea Customer Care (nl@my.notify-flasnews.com) telling me that I've been selected for a £500 gift voucher.

Yippee. Why I'm a lucky guy is beyond me. Never purchased from Ikea, never been in an Ikea and have no intention of doing so in the future especially as the nearest store is in West Thurrock is 98kms away which means I need my passport to cross the river........ Maybe somebody wants my bank account details....

Needless to say the notification has been returned to cyberspace without opening this very kind offer.

Bright and sunny down here in the far southeast so off for a walk along The Leas and into town to get some more coloured lights from Wilko to adorn the front of the house during this festive season.

Keith

• Like 19

You know it's nearing the time when Ken Bruce plays, Santa's a Scotsman on his programme...

And is Father Christmas (whoever he is) an Englishman? 

That's the impression I got as a nine-year-old relocated from Midlothian to South Yorkshire.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Anyone looking for a new means to store their 'O' gauge stock ?

This link may help.

Concentrate, there will be a test later !

What was the 'funny' bit please - I think I must have been concentrating on the wrong thing(s)?

Glad the day went well for you Rick.  One piece of good news that might not have been imparted to you is that as your employer is a passenger train operator any free travel to/from work which they provide for you does not count as a Taxable Benefit. (which was one of the reasons why i was happy to leap off the freight railway ship at the time of privatisation).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 5

Yesterday I typed a tirade about the green DIY store. I may have used too many **** because the script was deleted before posting. I won't repeat myself, suffice that I won't be shopping there again - prices up, quality down.

This morning was spent circling the boring borough. Every time I made a break for home, LAS returned me to some distant part of the borough. Anyway, it's trainee paramedic time, and some of them have less knowledge than me, bless them.

Bill

Afternoon everybody,

Yippee. Why I'm a lucky guy is beyond me. Never purchased from Ikea, never been in an Ikea and have no intention of doing so in the future especially as the nearest store is in West Thurrock is 98kms away which means I need my passport to cross the river........ Maybe somebody wants my bank account details....

Keith

I had an e-mail from Lenz in my spam box!

Bill

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

And is Father Christmas (whoever he is) an Englishman? 

That's the impression I got as a nine-year-old relocated from Midlothian to South Yorkshire.

You obviously didn't watch enough American films.....
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Early start to get to Newcastle for 09:00.  :swoon:

So, night all. 

That is a long walk.... :jester:

In days of old when I had a job at Vickers Leeds Barnbow tank factory to Armstrong Wokrs, Scotswood was 100 miles...on a morning it generally took 2 hours or more, we did it one day in 59 minutes in our Ford Grenada ....long before speed cameras thank goodness...

Baz

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

That is a long walk.... :jester:

In days of old when I had a job at Vickers Leeds Barnbow tank factory to Armstrong Wokrs, Scotswood was 100 miles...on a morning it generally took 2 hours or more, we did it one day in 59 minutes in our Ford Grenada ....long before speed cameras thank goodness...

Baz

At least this time my wing man isn't a Gp Capt. 

When we went to meetings near your old clubrooms he got us lost walking back to the railway station; I was surprised how many pubs were called Cross Keys!  

"Oooh, look. Another Midnight Bell".  :mosking:

Not to be confused with "Midnight Belle". I suspect there were genuinely quite a few of those.  :jester:

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

At least this time my wing man isn't a Gp Capt. 

When we went to meetings near your old clubrooms he got us lost walking back to the railway station; I was surprised how many pubs were called Cross Keys!  

"Oooh, look. Another Midnight Bell".  :mosking:

Not to be confused with "Midnight Belle". I suspect there were genuinely quite a few of those.  :jester:

Yes, that is the official red light district in the City of Leeds.

But Midnight Bell - sells Leeds Brewery Midnight Bell but is now owned by Camerons of Hartlepool.

As for the Cross Keys- also a very old pub near the site of the Round House Foundary in Leeds owned by North Bar..

very nice....

Baz

• RMweb Gold

To put the prescription saga to bed.

Today I was dealt with by four friendly, proficient NHS people and one totally incompetent jobsworth. The later wasted most of my morning and a good deal of a pharmacist's valuable time. She went 'off duty' at lunchtime and then the others sorted out the issue pleasantly and efficiently. As a result, tomorrow morning my consultant will be faxing my GP his instructions for an alternative to the medication that is unavailable and the surgery will ring me when the prescription is ready.

It is interesting to note that the polite efficient ones were all part of today's 'yoof' whilst the incompetent jobsworth may well have started out as Hippocrates' receptionist.

• RMweb Premium

Is it safe?

Shh.....

BoD, when I was an NHS manager, the bane of my life were two elderly staff I had to manage.  The younger staff members were much more dedicated, caring and just generally interested in providing a good service to our patients.  I did fix one of the old cows staff members 'good n proper' before I left that job though, but I was a gibbering wreck after only 18 months in the job.  I left before what health I had left disintegrated. The wealth of experience older staff members can have is a boon, but only if they are prepared to be part of the team.  I have no time for those who want to plough their own furrow, in a team sport such as NHS outpatients services!  The inability of those two to see they were there for the patients well being and not to bitch on and stir resulted in us falling out quite spectacularly, but I won!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

It was exactly the same in teaching, Neil.

i like to think (hope) that my experience was valuable but that I was always part of the team and open to the new ways. As the first computer/IT teacher in the school, all those years ago, I was at one point 'the new way'.

I hope I didn't stagnate.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I had a young team and all was well. Then I was "given" a non-team player "elder statesman"  who spent his time doing "union" duties and/or stirring the sh!t. The rest of the team got him to move on as they couldn't understand his attitude....thank goodness as I believe I had been set up to fire him...He organised a small batch of redundancies and went with a wadge of cash.

A quick question for BoD.. is there still pit head gear at Castle Eden/Hesleden pit? It never drew coal as it flooded  but they used t eh shafts as access to the pumps when I was a lad.

Baz

• RMweb Premium

I had a young team and all was well. Then I was "given" a non-team player "elder statesman"  who spent his time doing "union" duties and/or stirring the sh!t. The rest of the team got him to move on as they couldn't understand his attitude....thank goodness as I believe I had been set up to fire him...He organised a small batch of redundancies and went with a wadge of cash.

A quick question for BoD.. is there still pit head gear at Castle Eden/Hesleden pit? It never drew coal as it flooded  but they used t eh shafts as access to the pumps when I was a lad.

Baz

Ha!  There is a little pumping station at the bottom of a friend's garden in Monk Hesleden!  Three houses in a wee terrace were built for pit employees, opposite the Hall.  Nothing else there!

• Like 2