The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Interesting cars the 2CVs.

Unusual gear stick, took a little bit of getting used to,

How did you find the engine? Easy, I just took the air filter off and there it was.

Roll the roof back, lift out the seats through the roof and you can take your cow to market.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

just been out on an errand..car says it is 15C outside...wot the chuff?

Early to bed for me as I have to be at the Warley Clubrooms by 09:30 tomorrow morning. M1, A42,M42,M6,M5...frabjoy!!!

Baz

Well, the model railway I inherited has around 30.... one on each point motor switched by a 5 v relay so only 5v travels from teh control panel.

Sounds interesting as most CDUs work on at least 16Vac with a switch / stud-&-probe between said CDU and the solenoid.

TBH, I'm surprised the CDUs haven't welded the relay contacts!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 1

just been out on an errand..car says it is 15C outside...wot the chuff?

Early to bed for me as I have to be at the Warley Clubrooms by 09:30 tomorrow morning. M1, A42,M42,M6,M5...frabjoy!!!

Baz

If you're going that way start now.

M42 J10 to J6 usually jam packed. M6 J5 to J8 ditto, M5 J 1 to 2 they're digging up.

[Edit] And they're still digging up the middle of Brum at Paradise Circus.

Edited by Coombe Barton

The sun roof surprised my friend who was a passenger when it became a moon roof one night.

Whether inadvertent on not, driving with the hood down at night is definitely a pleasure. Blatted up the Meon valley late one winter's evening.

Interesting cars the 2CVs.

Unusual gear stick, took a little bit of getting used to,

How did you find the engine? Easy, I just took the air filter off and there it was.

Roll the roof back, lift out the seats through the roof and you can take your cow to market.

The gear stick was actually to hang a handbag on. 

One young lady of my acquaintance used to keep some kind of microscopic dog in her handbag. At the same time. Whilst we drove round Paris. 

And funnily enough my youngest, when he met her a few years ago, re-told the story to her. 

He still refers to her as "The lady who keeps dogs in her handbag. :)

• Like 4

Some flooded areas of Lancaster and Morecambe with some closed roads. Daughter is worried about the beck at the back of her house but whether by luck or design it has overflowed onto a lower lying field and flooded another road which has LFRS in attendance. Downside is, granddaughter and partner are off on holiday tomorrow morning and the taxi has to get through the floods to reach them. According to reports a disabled woman who lived in our village was trapped in her car in floodwater and has been cut free by LFRS. Stay safe all.

• RMweb Premium

It's just I imagine all the wine and cheese I'd have to drink and eat to go along with the 2CV. 

I guess I'd have to flog my current pile and buy a property in France to go along with it, too. :)

As for the Fiat 500, it's cool. Oh  yes. But way too pricey, and would leave no money over for all the tigelle, hams, zuppa inglese...  

Don't worry Andy come and buy one of the houses in our village in France.  As well as the cognac and Eau de Vie there's a guy from Watford who has a nice sideline rebuilding 2Cv's.

Like Baz my Warley work starts tomorrow when we load the lorry in the afternoon.  A lot easier than a very early start on Friday.  Meanwhile back at the ranch it's peaceful.  Beth has departed to Lincoln to babysit a 6 year old tomorrow  (Our sort of step grandson) so I have the house to myself.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Not at all wet here. After Matthew got his shoes and trousers wet he went home and got changed and decided he could do his work just as well today from home (320Mb broadband in his part of Dublin).

This was far more sensible than when he got wet trousers in a Calgary mall some years ago. A sink overflowed and soaked his trousers. He had to wait 30 minutes for a bus so walked back to the university (approx 30 minute walk). Considering it wss a pleasant -25C any sensible person would have gone back in and bought new trousers. He Skyped us from his room and didn't look well.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

It was raining when I got up this morning, but by the time I'd finished breakfast it had stopped. My first task this morning was to go and collect the bins, however, only one had been emptied, so I left that until it was emptied just before dinner. Recently the bin men have been putting them outside the drive, instead of half way down the road, so it's not been as bad as previous times.

All the components required to upgrade the CDU's arrived this morning so I completed that and hey presto success. So I then tidied up all the wiring and made all the final connections. I then gave it all another quick test and nothing worked, isolated each CDU and everything's fine, so I then connected it all up again and it all started acting strangely again, I'll have to make further investigations in the morning.

This evening we had Vickie, Ava, Evie and Max round for tea, Ian had to be in work very early so Vickie has had the day off. It's also been raining very heavily for most of the evening too.

Goodnight all

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Very wet and windy overnight and still quite breezy and raining. Should brighten up later with some sunny spells but still the chance of showers.

Bin day here so as most people put them out overnight there are are some strewn across the pavement and on their sides. Ours aren't because me and my neighbour have arranged ours so that the heaviest ones (Bottles* etc) are stopping the others from moving.

* I can honestly report that their bottle bin is fuller and heavier than ours!  :yes:  This is likely to  will change next week.  :whistle:  :drinks:

Main shopping day today so as usual I will try to outwit management and sneak something into the mix. (cake or more special offer booze perhaps)

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 17

Morning All,

It is quite chilly this morning, there was a fairly heavy frost - but the temperature is forecast to reach 15°C later on, so all in all the weather is rather strange.

Many years ago, my Aunt had a 2CV - It was all she could afford at the time, and was a terrible thing.  There was a fairly large hill out of the village where we lived, and the only way to have a hope of getting up it was to turn the other way out of the village and then turn around to take a run at the hill.  Even then, it was sometimes necessary for the passengers to disembark near the top.

One night, when she was returning from work there was a big bang and the engine stopped.  My Dad was dispatched to try and get her going and he found one of the spark plugs firmly embedded in the bonnet!  It had sheered off in the block.  Fortunately, it was possible to MacGuyer the car to get it home.

It was at that point that we found out that compression was severely down in one cylinder (which is more of a problem than you think when you only have two!)

The car was eventually sold to a young couple who ended up taking it to the South of France!  Amazing really, we didn't think it would make Dover - let alone the South of France.  Years later, we found out purely by chance that it did indeed make the South of France, and back again - but it "wasn't quite the same after that".

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 17

Good morning one and all

It's a bit quiet round here.  There are at least two skips in the street.  One is rapidly filling with unhealthy looking timber, part of which appears to be decking.  Nearby one of them is orange plastic fencing which appears to be there for the purpose of reserving space for a white van.  Mr Nextdoorbutone reckons it's illegal.  He is something of a thug but it was he who set in motion the process of having the caravan removed so he isn't all bad.  Today I have to do an unscheduled fodder run because the bread that will form part of breakfast is all that I have.  I will take the bus and try not to buy so much that I cannot carry it.

While I was typing all that I felt possessed by the spirit of Adrian Mole.  Perhaps thirteen and three quarters is my true mental age.

JohnDMJ, I will join you in the NEC 'Spoons on Sunday.  That anyone else will is probably a forlorn hope.

Warm thoughts to all in distress and recovery

Chris

• Like 2

Morning All,

It is quite chilly this morning, there was a fairly heavy frost - but the temperature is forecast to reach 15°C later on, so all in all the weather is rather strange.

Many years ago, my Aunt had a 2CV - It was all she could afford at the time, and was a terrible thing.  There was a fairly large hill out of the village where we lived, and the only way to have a hope of getting up it was to turn the other way out of the village and then turn around to take a run at the hill.  Even then, it was sometimes necessary for the passengers to disembark near the top.

One night, when she was returning from work there was a big bang and the engine stopped.  My Dad was dispatched to try and get her going and he found one of the spark plugs firmly embedded in the bonnet!  It had sheered off in the block.  Fortunately, it was possible to MacGuyer the car to get it home.

It was at that point that we found out that compression was severely down in one cylinder (which is more of a problem than you think when you only have two!)

The car was eventually sold to a young couple who ended up taking it to the South of France!  Amazing really, we didn't think it would make Dover - let alone the South of France.  Years later, we found out purely by chance that it did indeed make the South of France, and back again - but it "wasn't quite the same after that".

Have a good day everyone...

Back in the 60's we used to have our annual holiday in Scotland. One year mum and dad hired a cottage which was halfway up a hill, with access via a track. Our car  was a Morris Traveler in those days and all the luggage and passengers had to be unloaded before dad was able to get the car up to the cottage. 

Years later we went on a half-term trip to Germany. In dad's Austin 1100. We got as far as the Kent side of the Dartford tunnel before the car broke down and had to have the AA out to it. We only just got the ferry from Sheerness.   :swoon:

But I do rather like the idea of your aunt's car having to take a run up to a hill. It was rather like that in the Austin 1100 (that I inherited from dad) when leaving Old Leigh. :)

Jamie, I'd be there in a trice if swmbo could learn the language. 

Off shortly to the fun that is the A3. But today's plan is to complete the conversion of an M7 into an electric sausage.   :mail:

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Sounds interesting as most CDUs work on at least 16Vac with a switch / stud-&-probe between said CDU and the solenoid.

TBH, I'm surprised the CDUs haven't welded the relay contacts!

That's because the only voltage from the CONTROL PANEL is 5V, strapped the the underside of the layout (or will be when I've finished rebuilding) is a 25V switched mode PSU (Ex laptop), that provides the Actuation CDU voltage. It would be possible to run each CDU from the 5V but that would require individual 5V to 25V DC-DC step up buck converters.

Must go this computer says it's time to reboot (Again) and we'd better duck before Debs gets here...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A very windy night last night but stil gotva reasonable amount of sleep.

Our Voyager was collected from the garage last night. A sped sensor replaced is the ABS Light is no longer on and hopefully the engine cutting out that we experienced on the way back from the Newcastle show is also resolved. Fingers crossed it doesn’t do this again on our trip to the Manchester show.

Hopefully our friends form Cumbria can make ther journey South as National Rial was saying th Lancaster to Barrow Line is closed and with flooded roads replacement buses may prove challenging.

Our trains appear to be running OK so far. The Thameslink class 700 came in and despite looking reasonably empty it was soon full and standing due to having fewer seats and those seats are not good. Really not looking forward to our service going over to them when London Bridge is completed. Daft need shooting for speccing such carp train interiors.

Looking forward to the weekend.

• RMweb Premium

Jamie, I'd be there in a trice if swmbo could learn the language. 

.   :mail:

Andy, by the time you've had a few glasses of pineau language doesn't matter.

Morning all from a rather wet village where we seem to have got some liquid sunshine from Fraggle Rock and the dark side of the hills.   As SWMBO is away in Lincoln child sitting the house is quiet.   This morning the ironing is the first task then get stock downstairs.  Lunchtime then it's off for the lorry and spend the afternoon collecting the various parts of the layout from 4 different locations.   Hopefully the evening will be quiet once I've got the lorry in it's secure store.   

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16

Morning one and all.

Somerset is bright, dry and not windy this morning - the exact opposite of yesterday!  I feel for those of you having to battle rising water and trust that your situation(s) become less fraught.

Sold an item on eBay last night, so will be off in search of packing materials and then a Post Office .....:-(    and then it will be Caffe Nero for the 'usual'

The steam tour to Chester looms ever larger in the diary, but alas Sunday's trip to the NEC has almost certainly been scuppered by Cross Country Trains strike action. Damn and blast!

Have a good one everybody.....

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

Another reasonable Nights sleep about 5 hours solid helped by a measure of Highland Park Dragon Legend.

Oh Woad is me Woad is me, SWMBO has been busy boiling up woad for her weaving group...a slightly unpleasent smell luckily not strong...

There was a fair amount of wind last night and more this morning, but from this Direction it has to go through the trees in the garden, which breaks up it's force somewhat. I'll check for damage to the trees after work today when I take Ben the Border Collie for his afternoon garden patrol.

On the way in I did  have to avoid twigs and branches up to 2 inches in diameter, and ocasionally found piles of leaves hiding from the wind is sheltered places.

Just north of us 500 homes have lost power..

Our local Cremated Swan Inn has now been stripped out, they had one of the temporary window shutters off yesterday and through a window that used to have leaded glass saying "smoking room" (it certainly was) you could see down to the 14th century now bare walls...http://theinghamswan.co.uk/Reopening_2019_

Windows updated again (it's done it several times over the last few days) as mentioned earlier, it now comes up with "Do you Trust this printer?" it will need to download a new printer driver...it took three attempts to get it to run properly, and the printer is 50Yards away......

Happy Birthday to Who, Happy Birthday to Who... Happy Birthday dear Doctor, Happy Birthday to Who..

Yes, Doctor Who first appeared on BBC TV at 17:16:20 GMT on Saturday, 23 November 1963...

Time too, try and print another label, two shunts have been measured during this diatribe, none have been harmed...

• Like 4

Our trains appear to be running OK so far. The Thameslink class 700 came in and despite looking reasonably empty it was soon full and standing due to having fewer seats and those seats are not good. Really not looking forward to our service going over to them when London Bridge is completed. Daft need shooting for speccing such carp train interiors.

Looking forward to the weekend.

Now you know what the Southeastern 376 is like for seats, or rather lack there of. We've had those fecking things for 13 years. We breathe a sigh of relief when a 465 shows up. I think the seating was designed by a chiropractor as a way of increasing business. 

Greetings all from a wind swept boring borough. All is quiet apart from the sound of our bin falling over every few minutes. Time to throw a bag of rubble into it. 

A good night was had meeting up with some of the SELKent and Southwark club people. 

That is all. Enjoy the day. For the ones on the other side of the frantic Atlantic and south of the 49th: Happy Thanksgiving. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Thought we may bump into Stewart in Shrewsbury last Saturday but I think he was into every charity bookshop before I got there as there was nothing I wanted to buy.

Not guilty Geoff, as I too had no findings in most of the shops, and I think that somebody was in front of both of us.  I was in Shrewsbury quite early on Saturday morning, and we were at the Park and Ride by 9.30, and in town before ten.  I did manage to pick up a pretty good copy ot "Great Locomotives of the LMS" in the Oxfam bookshop on Dogpole, but I actually found it as I was able to visit their back room by dint of being a fellow vounteer.  I asked to visit the staff facilities, and saw it sitting in the culled stock, offered a couple of quid, and hey presto.

Morning All

Sorry, but I've been AWOL again, and have had a few issues which came up unexpectedly, not least having had the car struck while I was in the vet's the other day by a hit and run driver, who managed to rip off the wing mirror, then disappeared into the wide blue yonder, so I've been getting the police report, insurance claim, and repair sorted out.  Luckily the vet has a CCTV which picked up the incident, and the police and insurers are looking into that, as it may well highlight the details of the culprit, which might result in a no blame claim for me.

30747 has been called into work this morning, as they have had a call that OFSTED are due to visit today, and they need all hands on deck.  Road conditions are not good round here, as Geoff has already said, though the seem better than they were. 

Hope to get back tomorrow, but no promises.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Bright and breezy here.

I am off to Whitechapel today. I have a midday appointment at the Royal London hospital. Probably a chat and blood tests.

I suppose I should check that the trains are ok.

Just checked, no problems at the moment on C2C or the bit of the District Line I use.

Have a good day.

Tony

• Like 1