The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Damp also had a problem on the Fords - especially a Zephyr which was a real s... to start after a night shift and it was also a problem with the early Minis.  The Imp when it got going was I remember at Silverstone a very good road-holding machine and beat he h... out of the Minis.

The Imp was a great little machine but not terribly robust. A friend had a seriously modified one that he used for rallying. It had a nasty habit of warping its cylinder head. He used to take it (the head) carry-on on the Shuttle to an outfit in London to have it repaired.

My brother (not the lawyer) had a Clan Crusader. I used it for a year while he was in Iran. Come to think of it, with a name like that it might not have gone down too well if he'd taken it with him.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

PS: Debs, stop reading if you got this far ;)

For those interested, the aforementioned designs comprise of a Amtel ATMega644 (twice) or 328 uController chip with suitable power supply, 4 small mosfets for the white, yellow, green and purple function outputs (not yet on the 328 design) and a direct output for the other functions on a PluX22 connector, hardware for cruise control and a-symmetric DCC signal recognition (Umelec, Lenz) as well as RailCom on a 15x35mm multi-layer double-sided PCB. Both controllers have sufficient computing power and storage space to address all these functions and more.

At least Debs would understand what you were talking about. It went slightly over my head.  :scratchhead:  :dontknow:  :yes:

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

I'm back from a 352 mile return journey.

This morning I found last night's sleep went well... Too well... I overslept by two hours!!!!

I cut the deficit down to 1.5 hours by rushing around like mad to get ready.

Luckily the journey went well, 3.5 hours each way, only one pair of cockwombles.

The first was a articWomble, who arrived at the round about at the end of the Sleaford bypass in the wrong lane. He then proceeded round the about in a the wrong lane catching out two cars in front of me. One managed to dive round the front to his exit, the other I think had to go round again . I dropped in behind the Articwomble. The articwomble then proceeded down the A17 but was definitely not under control, the cab unit was weaving and jerking around not always on the correct side of the road.

We the came up behind a Kia picanto womble doing 45 on a dry clear A17. We eventually came to a small piece of dual carriageway, and I started overtaking. Half way past and the picanto womble realizes he's on a dual carriageway and accelerates. Leaving me with not much dual carriageway left. The Articwomble had followed the picantowomble I couldn't back out and ended up going a silly speed in my flying brick of a landrover to get past. The fastest I've ever been in the 110.....

I picked up the bureau from SWMBO'S niece and the returned without problems.

A note for those going to the Spalding MRC show 11th 12th November if you use the A17 / A151 Peppermint Junction. It's being rebuilt, at the moment there is an uncompleted roundabout there and the A151 is closed at that point. The projected completion date I've looked up is not till February. The official diversion is via the A16.

I'm now going to research a better route as that's a long way round from the south.

More likely Idaho gauge.

I'm calling it "One80" for now. It's 16.5 mm gauge but the scale is 1:80. The idea is to use a bit of deception to make the gauge appear wider. Some people think it's a terrible idea :)

Tomytec supply models in 1:80 Scale!

At least Debs would understand what you were talking about. It went slightly over my head.  :scratchhead:  :dontknow:  :yes:

Went a long way over my head!

Sometimes, I feel as if I'm in Walter Mitty's huge, hurtling eight-engined Navy hydroplane: " 'Rev her up to 8,500! We’re going through!' The pounding of the cylinders increased: ta-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa...''

• Like 6

Right, so ...

• Started off from home about 11
  • Down the A5, through Buckingham to get to Stoke Manderville
  • Just entering Winslow, the charging light comes on.
  • Turn round and go back through Buckingham towards Milton Keynes.
  • Find a lay-by near the Northamptonshire border
  • Pull in
  • With engine still running get the handbook, find the page (fifth attempt) and find it says switch off engine.
  • Then it won't start again
  • Call AA
  • Hour and a half later Provisional AA turns you, starts with booster battery and sends me on my way
  • About 25 miles from home power steering packs up.
  • Dashboard resembles Christmas Tree on Steroids with lights flashing. 
  • Then speedo sticks at 50 and tacho at 2k revs
  • Windows don't work - it's hot and I've been driving with mine down.
  • Fortunately I'm on the A5 which the Romans built, so few bends
  • Get about 8 miles from home and it dies completely
  • Call AA - an hour
  • Real AA turns up and says it's alternator and confirms it with test
  • Lends me battery and follows me home
  • Got home about 5
  • Takes his battery back and that's how it stands
  • Monday It'll be a trip to the Garage and Sandy dropping me off at a station to sample the delights of New Street.
  • I'm teaching late on Monday so it'll be late home.

[EDIT] The Real AA guy pointed out that we have the AA breakdown insurance as part of our membership, so it should cost us a lot less than it might.

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Premium

no trip to Skipton but going to the pub to spend my Euromillions win..al £3 of it!

Built a high Level gearbox for a Caprotti Standard 5 today... got everything back together and then noticed on axle was EM the rest OO..Badger!!

Take it apart - change axle and..bobs' your uncle!

Enjoy your evening

baz

• Like 16

....I'm calling it "One80" for now. It's 16.5 mm gauge but the scale is 1:80. The idea is to use a bit of deception to make the gauge appear wider. Some people think it's a terrible idea :)

I think Kato also use 1:80 for their Japanese models.

... Provisional AA ....The Real AA ...

I'm looking forward to Continuity AA, followed by I Can't Believe It's Not The AA....

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

no trip to Skipton but going to the pub to spend my Euromillions win..al £3 of it!

baz

At least you will get nearly a pint for that unlike down South.

Evening from an NS train heading back to Rotterdam after having a great day at Borefts beer festival at the De Molen brewery in Bodegraven. What a great day it has been with Andrew C and Mrs C et al drinking great beers from around the world.

Tomorrow is yet another beer festival the after Borefts beer fest at Kaapse brewery in Rotterdam. Lucky we have a good lay in tomorrow.

• Like 13

Don't you dare!

It's G Scale not G gauge!

And G Scale itself is an abomination with scale depending on the prototype.  Only the track gauge remains constant (45 mm gauge).

Whoops...

Well anyway :)

Whatever it is it will definitely be an ABOMINATION as for locos I have an LGB #2219 2-6-0 PRR Mogul AND an Aristocraft SP Alco F1A - BA-BOOM

I often run them at the SAME TIME TOGETHER AT ONCE, with a bigger abomination of improbably unmatching varying era rolling stock............. weeeeeeeeeeeeeee... :jester:

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Evening all, wonder if I can pick some brains. Having lived abroad for most of my working life I've not had much experience in buying and trading-in cars.

I'm currently thinking of changing and trading-in my current car which is 3 1/2 years old, cost £32,000.00 and has 7,200 miles on the clock (yes, only 7,200 miles!!) and am wondering how much I could expect to be offered for the trade-in value of my current car so that I've got a rough idea of what to expect. I'm not looking for an actual figure, just some ball-park suggestions.

I've had a look at  some online valuation sites but get turned off when they start asking for personal details before they give a quote.

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks,

Keith

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Evening all, wonder if I can pick some brains. Having lived abroad for most of my working life I've not had much experience in buying and trading-in cars.

I'm currently thinking of changing and trading-in my current car which is 3 1/2 years old, cost £32,000.00 and has 7,200 miles on the clock (yes, only 7,200 miles!!) and am wondering how much I could expect to be offered for the trade-in value of my current car so that I've got a rough idea of what to expect. I'm not looking for an actual figure, just some ball-park suggestions.

I've had a look at  some online valuation sites but get turned off when they start asking for personal details before they give a quote.

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks,

Keith

If you are trading in the car at a dealership you need to be looking at the differential between what they want for the new car and your existing car. The values never seem to be anything like those on used car websites anyway. Look disappointed if they don't offer what you are prepared to accept. My wife is really good at haggling. I am not.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Talking about cars - had a bit of a shock today on our quest.  Jayne bought a car!  She compromised on the diesel bit, having realised there just aren't any petrol 3 yr old estates to be had on the island.  Nice Hyundai i30 Estate, I was pleasantly impressed when I drove it after she had a go too.  (She wanted me to give it the berries - she's a sedate driver).  Very nice drive, especially for what is a sort of lower end brand, although I see from the JDPower report they (and Kia - same make really) are incredibly reliable - unlike the premium German brands. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Whoops...

Well anyway :)

Whatever it is it will definitely be an ABOMINATION as for locos I have an LGB #2219 2-6-0 PRR Mogul AND an Aristocraft SP Alco F1A - BA-BOOM

I often run them at the SAME TIME TOGETHER AT ONCE, with a bigger abomination of improbably unmatching varying era rolling stock............. weeeeeeeeeeeeeee... :jester:

There were some lovely alpine plants at the plant show we went to today. I suggested to Aditi how attractive they would look with a garden railway. Aditi agreed but not if it required removing the lawn.

Tony

• Like 6

Very late today as I was involved in an assortment of tasks, including trying to find the name and address of the designer of the model year 2004 Chrysler Concorde. When I find him and fly to wherever he is I will be inserting the Owners Manual in one of his fundamental orifices! :triniti:  :butcher:  :rtfm:

Need to replace a headlamp bulb - per the Owners Bo!!ocks Manual;

1. Open the hood.

2. Remove the upper crossmember attachments on both sides of the vehicle; 6 in total.

3. Remove the headlamp jackscrews on both sides of the vehicle.

4. Remove the windshield filler neck screw.

5. Remove the speed control servo screws.

6. Lift and prop the crossmember above the headlamp on the side being serviced, and remove the electrical connectors from the headlamp.

7. Pull headlamp up and under crossmember to remove it from the vehicle.

8. Remove the bulb retaining ring by turning it counterclockwise. Pull the bulb and socket assembly from the housing and pull the bulb from the socket.

9. Install a new headlight bulb in the socket, reinstall the bulb and socket assembly and tighten the retaining ring.

Even with the procedure above you have to forcefully pull the front bumper moulding forward - almost to the point of breaking it off - to be able to get the headlamp unit out, a totally diabolical procedure especially in 32 degree dripping humidity!!

Whomever the prat is, I wish him a plague of locusts :(

Closing went well yesterday, not that I can envision getting that far in a house purchase and it going any other way?? We now own two houses.

Below a picture of the front of the place, modest but will suit our future needs, especially since three of the bedrooms including the master, are on the main floor;

post-20244-0-57276400-1506198702_thumb.jpg

and more importantly a 12" to the foot railway 40ft from the back fence - only 1-2 short trains a day, so fun to watch/see but not intrusive  :)

post-20244-0-18541500-1506198730_thumb.jpg

31 still mid-afternoon and very humid only down to 21 overnight :(

Have a good rest of the day, those still awake!

• Like 15

Suddenly there was one helluva racket. At first I thought there might be something wrong with my 3-D printer, but then I realized it was coming from outside.

At least two C-17's were flying right over the house, and only a few hundred feet up. I was able to look straight up at one, then he juiced it a bit to clear the hills at the end of the bay. I thought I was going to get blown off the deck :)

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Day off today. Alarm turned off and I slept through most of the morning....... Various tidying up and DIY jobs completed, meaning brownie points earned from both Mrs and Junior NB.

Ice hockey tonight and a 16-4 win over Deeside Dragons. I predicted a more sedate 6-2.......

We have a 16 year old - Kieran Brown - on loan from the Elite League Sheffield Steelers. He's an amazing talent and become a fan's favourite after only playing the last three out of the 5 games this season. He's already joint top scorer in the league.

Less than 12 minutes into the game and 4-0 down, courtesy of 3 goals by Kieran, Deeside called a timeout to change their tactics to slow him down a bit. Although he only managed to score another two in the rest of the game, the others players stepped up as they had more room to skate. 

Junior NB was doubly happy tonight as our replica away team shirts arrived. We may get to try them out at an away game next weekend.

edit: results are in from the other league games and for the first time since March 2016, we're top of the league! 

Work tomorrow and I'm hoping to have a quiet email/phone day and crack on with some more tracklaying.

Have a good Sunday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Just thought you might like a couple of pics of my new improved pool cover.

First take a time expired gazebo. Take off the lower leg poles then cast concrete boots round the remaining legs. Walk it over to the pool, then lift it in. Unfortunately it was slightly smaller than the pool so I had to get into it, temp 14 degrees to fit the last leg.

post-6824-0-81392600-1506201693_thumb.jpg

Then put the pool cover over.

post-6824-0-18532500-1506201696_thumb.jpg

I was asked if I'd gone into the yurt business but hopefully this will save me having to pump 6" of rainwater plus a lot of leaves and other debris off the tope of the cover before it can be used again next year. Hopefully the rain will run off.

I was quite pleased with the end result and did warm up eventually.

Night all.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Neil, Kia (and Hyundai) have consistently come top of the tables with regard to reliability. My i10 is now over 9 years old and the only items that have needed replacement are the tyres and battery. The tyres because they were showing signs of 'feathering' on the corners of the tread. The battery was still functioning but was getting a bit tired, the difference was clearly noticable after the new one was fitted.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

As it wasn't raining this morning when I got up, I went straight outside and continued painting the new fencing. Both of the large panels and the gate have now had 2 coats of paint applied to both sides and ends I just need to do the ends of the gate and small panel, so if the weather is fine, I'll turn the small panel and the gate on there sides so I can paint the ends of them. The next task will be to remove the old gate and fencing and re-site the gate posts then I'm ready to fit the new fencing.

Goodnight all

• Like 14