The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

That's rather more than the long-suffering residents of certain parts of Birmingham, who haven't had any dustmen at all for long periods this year. Something about refusing to collect refuse whilst their Union plays awkward squad.

Yes, it does a bit.

but it's been to court ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-41330879

• RMweb Gold

.......prescription to collect tomorrow......

Baz

I normally collect my prescriptions on a Thursday.

In a couple of weeks I can collect them on the Thursday and pay for them, or collect them on the Friday and get them for free.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Congrats to the happy Abel couple.

ChrisF, we had the same in our loft last week - reset the traditional mousetrap up there with a bit of mars bar - 10 minutes later the deed was done.  Don't bother with cheese, they prefer choccy.  Beer left overs(is there such a thing) certainly gets the slugs here, leave some slops in a shallow saucer, it's incredible how many go for it.  Debs, I hadn't seen any anti-slugial behaviour from them, I think they get drunk too quickly!

• Like 12

So you'll be going on Friday.  And the counter staff will say 'oh, you're a day late and that will be £XX please'

Nah, the day after my 70th birthday I presented myself at the appointed office for my bus pass. The chap looked at my application form and said "Happy birthday for yesterday." Incidentally I had walked into "town" but I caught the bus back!  Now if that's not the sign of a good Yorkshire man, then I don't know what is!!  :mail:

• Like 2

Nah, the day after my 70th birthday I presented myself at the appointed office for my bus pass. The chap looked at my application form and said "Happy birthday for yesterday." Incidentally I had walked into "town" but I caught the bus back!  Now if that's not the sign of a good Yorkshire man, then I don't know what is!!  :mail:

So it's true that copper wire was first discovered by two Yorkshire men fighting over a penny?

• RMweb Premium

So it's true that copper wire was first discovered by two Yorkshire men fighting over a penny?

And the new pound coins have several sides so that you can use a spanner to extract them from a Yorkshireman's hand.

Goodnight all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So you'll be going on Friday.  And the counter staff will say 'oh, you're a day late and that will be £XX please'

If BoD is 60 on the day he is asked to pay for the prescription he is exempt. Not the day the doctor issued the prescription.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now there is a general fallacy that Yorkshire folk are tight with money..no people from County Durham are far better at managing money..

Night all!

and for those elsewhere on the planet good afternoon/morning /evening.

Baz

• Like 8

Now there is a general fallacy that Yorkshire folk are tight with money..no people from County Durham are far better at managing money..

Night all!

Baz

And North of The Border?

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I was upstairs when I heard "could you come down please?". This usually warns me that something is amiss. It wasnt a dog related event and Aditi wasn't clutching something that had fallen apart. It was the washing machine displaying an error code and a message. Aditi had found the handbook and meaning of message. For some reason she decided I should investigate. It turned out to be lump of fluff from the new bathmats. All OK now.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Night all!

Baz

And North of The Border?

Who said that a Yorkshireman was a Scotsman without the generousity.

• RMweb Gold

Not often do I miss a few days in one go but knowing how long it will take to go through them all please accept apologies for lack of response or of knowing what is going on.  As some rightly state commiserations and congratulations as appropriate and I too trust that all are progressing in their best way forward.   What a mouthful that has turned out to be.

The reality has been some full days and one evening teaching 100 plus youngsters on a voluntary basis as part of a local project and was really enjoyable, great fun and rewarding. The rescue service who had organised this had planned it well and it was obvious the children gained much on aspects of personal safety.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Wasn't me honest! I always the blame!

I'd just put the finishing touches to base board No 1 of Max's train set boards, when the fencing arrived. The driver dropped it off at the end house, close to communal gate to the back entry. I then brought it all into the garden, which took a fair bit of effort considering the weight off the stuff. I'd got 1 3ft x 6ft gate, 1 3ft x 6ft panel and 2 panels 6ft x 6ft all made from decking timber, I just about managed to lift the gate and small panel on my own, but I couldn't lift the larger panels, so I had to drag them the 100ft or so to the back garden. After that I went in for a quick cup of tea. Once the tea had been drunk, I went outside and started to apply some paint to the fencing, I managed to give the back of each panel it's first coat before dinner. After dinner I went outside again and gave the inside of the gate its first coat and the panels all a second coat before rain stopped play. It's been persisting it down on and off ever since and there's more due tomorrow too!

The Sainsbury's Grand Prix took place this evening for the first time in a while. For the last few weeks I've completed this on my own and the bill has been in 2 figures each time. Tonight I had company and it was 3 figures!

Congratulations to Trevor and Meagan.

Goodnight all.

• Like 2

And the new pound coins have several sides so that you can use a spanner to extract them from a Yorkshireman's hand.

Paisley Buddies (I qualify) are notoriously cheap economical, but Aberdonians are even worse. They are responsible for this description:

"The streets were completely deserted. It was like Aberdeen on a flag day."

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Worst cases are a Scotsman living in Yorkshire or vice versa.

Congrats to the Abel clan.

Day off Thursday. I have procured a Northern Friends and family ticket for £7 from a friend/RMwebber. I will use this to travel to Leeds where I meet one of my layout team and XC driver and collect a Cross Country friends and family ticket for £10. 

I will then board a Voyager towards Derby. Coincidentally being driven by above friend!

From there - it's anyone's guess. 

Have fun Thursday - I intend to.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 13

This evening I am ruminating those who offer topics online for discussion yet don't seem to want to hear a differing point of view and question the motives or conviction of those who offer one.

This too shall pass.

To which end I am enjoying the on and off rain, for now, and anticipating an evening at a nice seafood restaurant with close family. It would have included a nice view before sunset, but the rain may prevent that.

As the season changes to the wetter the banana slugs will reappear. Not quite as big as those Barbadian 'fish stories' ;). but big enough*.

Ariolimax columbianus can reach 25cm if Wikipedia is to be believed.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14