The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

A'noon all,

Apologies for my late appearance which was due to computer issues which temporarily caused one GDB to lose his rag. He has now calmed down and found it and all now seems OK.

Joe & Gemma have just arrived from school so Bedlam* is alive & well in the land of Sutt.

I may return later.

* This is a good sort of Bedlam.  :yes:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 7

That's a point, actually: when you run bleach or other forms of toilet cleaner down the bowl, are they more effective when mixed with hot/warm water rather than cold?

That may have to be balanced against the possibility of listeriae being fostered by the elevated temperature of the stored water and concomitant aerosol contamination from the rising {warm} vapour released during flushes. :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

That's a point, actually: when you run bleach or other forms of toilet cleaner down the bowl, are they more effective when mixed with hot/warm water rather than cold?

In addition to Debs' post it must be remembered that toilet cleaning products are often designed to be used in a cold-water environment. Using them in hot water risks increasing and / or accelerating the reaction created which can lead to an excess of fumes in a confined area. Fumes which can rapidly reach a harmful level and potentially become lethal.

As for the other hot flushes yes tell me too. I am on the receiving end of any fallout which may or may not require more than just herbal tea and empathy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not going to tick "like" as the owners of Holmes Mill also own a few hotels in the surrounding area that compete with wife's work............................

:jester:

"like"

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The trip to Canvey went well except I misread the appointment time and was an hour early. I returned an hour later after doing a few errands in Benfleet.

Robbie seemed content in the pool.

post-6719-0-93187600-1505843174_thumb.jpg

After a late lunch I settled down to watch the cricket then noticed I hadn't had any emails today. I checked as I was expecting something important.

After trying the various email programs in my phone and tablet I attempted to use the bt account email login program. This informed me I was about to be deleted due to lack of use over the last 90 days. This is silly, I use it a lot. I followed the reactivation instructions.

Then all my emails appeared.

Then I had an email that informed my iPod touch won't be updated. Not a problem but it appears Apple are withdrawing support for 32 bit software. So I hope the existing iTunes continues to work.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

We had a misty/foggy start to the day here, but as I was once again working in the cellar it didn't matter much to me anyway. However, by early afternoon the sun was out and it was a beautiful day, even warm enough to do a bit of the work outside, particularly the work involving the sander, which can be a bit messy when used inside. The first of the 2 base boards that will make up Max's train set is now all but complete, I spent quite a bit of time modifying my design for the hinge mechanism today, as I felt it was not robust enough. So a bit more wood was added to strengthen it and I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out. Tomorrow I will make a start on the 2nd base board.

I heard from the fencing company this morning and was informed that the fencing and gate will be delivered sometime tomorrow. So when that arrives, work on the train set will temporarily cease while I paint the new gate and fence panels. Once that is done, I will remove the old gate and fencing and fit the the new ones. Only once all the fencing is finished I will then go back to working on Max's base boards. So the next few days will be rather busy, I hope the weather stays fine.

Q. The schools fencing will have had some sort of grant that the fencing contractor wanted to get his hands on and so most probably approached the school informing them of said grant. The school behind our house tried the same thing last year, but a group of us got together, pulled holes in the planning application. We also pointed out that the school had a right of way through the grounds and high security fencing would be a complete nonsense. The application got thrown out at the councils next planning meeting.

Goodnight all

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Spent a half hour with tecj support this morning. SWMBO reported last week that she couldn't print bank statements. This had been working on the computer for most of a year and other programs could print.

After a few tries, the tech suggested that I try Edge instead of Chrome for a browser. (I had abandoned Edge long ago as it seemed incompatible with some other functions.) After some more dithering (I now know how to make passwords appear) I got into the accounts and printed off a month, followed by complaints about the spacing and other details. I thanked it the tech and apologized for taking so much time, and he said that it was one of the easier calls he'd had this morning.

Village railway club meeting tonight. One new member and a good turnout with the meeting night changed. Discussion ran over and we only had a half hour on the host's layout.

One member said that one of his students is the understudy (or second understudy?) for Norma at the Met's HD broadcast that we hope to see.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Still dark but dry and the forecasters claim it will mainly stay that way with bright or sunny intervals but with some cloud that may give a little light rain. Should be a bit warmer as well.

The Boss has been taken to work and is rejoicing as she has now handed in her notice and will be retiring on December 7th. Not quite sure how she arrived at that particular date but it has something it is all to do with avoiding working the couple of weeks leading up to C#######s which are usually  rather extremely hectic.

I had more computer problems last night as the desktop upstairs threw a wobbly whilst doing a large Win10 update and nothing happened for hours and the screen went completely blank. However this morning it seems to have completed and all is OK. (said he more in hope than real expectation) 

Hopefully I may do a little more work on the layout but will probably just end up playing with it as usual.  :locomotive: Still, that's why I've got it.  :yes:

Have a good one,

Bob.

Good morning one and all

I appear to have an uninvited house guest, to wit a mouse.  I caught sight of it the day before yesterday in the bathroom.  It has been in the kitchen and opened two packets of wheat germ with its fangs.  Its presence explains some of the strange noises I have heard in recent weeks.  Today I shall go into town to try and find some chemical with which to wage war against the critter.  Wish me luck.

Last night there was a good programme on Radio 2.  Johnnie Walker was looking back at the events leading up to the launch of Radios 1 and 2 and played some interesting archive material – trails by Kenny Everett and interviews with half forgotten DJs such as David Symonds [Fantastic!  Put t’kettle on, mother].  Did he have to play a clip from Jimmy Young, though?  Oh dear. 

Tonight sees the Area Group meeting in Bedford.  Let us hope that the M1 behaves itself for those who use it to get there.  Last time we had a meeting in Bedford one of our number was stuck on a train out in the sticks and never made it.  Better luck this time, comrade.

Best wishes and felicitations to all in distress and recovery. 

Chris

• Like 11

Morning All,

It is a somewhat gloomy morning, and a little chilly - but I guess that is to be expected now that autumn is fast approaching.

There isn't a lot else to report, so I guess it is time for a coffee.

Have a good day everyone...

Good morning one and all

Let us hope that the M1 behaves itself for those who use it to get there.

Chris

In general, motorways tend to behave (and never go anywhere)! It's the traffic on them of which you have to be careful!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner temple Here,

6.5 Hours of sleep was had but in many pieces So I still feel knackered.

We often have had problems with furry intruders and used chemical warfare. It gets rid of them temporarily, but in the mean time it will have told it's friends there is more free food. The most Effective Anti mouse and rat device was Twix the cat.

Whether of not they'll take any notivce of Ben the Border Collie or not, I don't know.

My computer at home finished the win 10 update, a total time of about a hour, half before shut down, half after. It did stop my emails until it rebooted the second time. The works computers are doing it a bit quicker I suspect that our IT section has stopped some of it being installed. The biggest change I found so far is the edge tab on explorer. I don't like edge at all and always use explorer. Although I have Chrome available as there is the odd site that doesn't like MS software.

Just after getting in the car this Morning the Seaweed inspector said we might get some sunny spells this afternoon, I think they might be a bit before that, there wasn't a cloud in the sky and it was somewhat chilly...

I see we are into political party CONference season, I think the emphasis is on the CON, it's a good excuse to go to sleep though...

Time to

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a very sunny but still cool Charente.   Not much on the agenda today but as it's pacing day for the ladies I have no doubt the additional orders will be issued at intervals throughout the day.

Yesterday we found another 20 yards of low wall in between moving fridge freezers around.   s it's not rained for a day the sunflower harvest got into gear and the combines were out well into the evening.  They look quite spectacular harvesting into the darkness.  The mounds of black seeds in the trailers look a bit strange compared to the corn and maize etc.

This evening we are off to a meal at a French house with several other friends.  Whilst there I will be allowed to consult my phone as we are waiting to see if the threatened air traffic controllers strike scuppers the ladies plans to fly out on Thursday morning.  If this happens then there will be 4 of us in the car on Friday and Saturday and at least 2 other drivers advisors.  I must try and find some ear plugs just in case.  

Chrisf, good luck with finding the rodent.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mugatea drunk already. Tasks to day include a visit to the Doctors' to rearrange my flu jab, watching some cricket and/or earning a crust by buying and fitting a sound chip for someone, and starting to pack for our warmth break in Funchal...and yes a trip to the Club to put our layout up ..

Have a great 24 hours on Planet Earth good people.

Baz

• Like 12