The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Late on parade, but present now.  Contributions all read and rated, and as usual, my greetings are sent to the ailing/celebrating/deserving.

No car boots here today, so instead, we went off to that well known German bargain house as  30747 wanted to get some fabric squares, which were due to come in today, and it was easy to see where they were from the crowd of sewing ladies thronging round them.  People were actually queueing up to get in to get this stuff and also the other sewing stuff.  So in the end we came home with.......a new sewing machine as well.  She was convinced by a lady who said that it looked very good indeed for the price.  The most odd thing was that this lady was very Scottish, and I asked here where she came from, and then told her where I came from, and she astounded my by telling me that she was a sewing teacher at the school that I went to - she started there just after I'd left - how odd.

Then came the usual mucho paperwork which seems to abound on Sundays these days. 

Back tomorrow,

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

I got on a plane in Bahrain, and sat next to a teacher who once taught a girl ( by then in her mid 20s) that I was sailing against in Norfolk a few days later.

I've also run into a guy I trained with in the RAF, however I met him in a street in London. Later on he worked at the same company as me, although I was in Milton Keynes and he was in Borehamwood. Meanwhile a bank clerk at that RAF camp near Weston super mare, was in the year ahead of me at School in Wiltshire!!!

There are many other coincidental meetings I've had over the years...

Today's work,/ events

6 hours digging a trench, this is for the next wall to be built but is across the foundation walls and concrete floor of a barn demolished in the 1980s but a 9 inches down on the current ground level. My SDS drill failed, but I wasn't trying to dig up the concrete floor and 200 year old brick foundations. I have no plans to dig up concrete to lay concrete..

I does mean however that some of this wall will be on a concrete foundation I'll have to mix rather than on foundation blocks.

During tea breaks 3 times I found mozzies sticking their noses into my hands, 2 didn't survive...

After that time to walk Ben the Border Collie in the brilliant sunshine, ten minutes in, it started raining, so we continued on for a further hour in the sunshine, getting rained on.

I'm now lying on the sofa watching "how to stay young",....uhm I'm on a Strict diet anyway, and they keep recommending exercise. I have a permanently damaged big toe, knackered knees, damaged lower back and left elbow, all through sports...

I'm lying here with all the above aching, I don't think I'm fit enough to do anything to keep fit....

• RMweb Gold

The sun has finally come out and the garden is looking nice. Our hard work over the past few days, in between sampling the local liquid produce, has revealed neat stone borders all round the garden. These were all covered in ivy and other overgrown plants but they have gradually been revealed.   I'm not a gardener but am enjoying finding the lost gardens of Saleignes.

attachicon.gif170917-1.jpg

A glass of very expensive sparkling wine (2 Euros a bottle from Intermarche) has just been handed to me and there are some lovely odours wafting through from the kitchen, so I will sign off.

Regards

Jamie

That low curves wall would look so much better as a retaining wall with a  live steamer perambulating along behind it.

NHN and I would be happy to come over and give you conflicting advice on the best way to proceed with the track foundations.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Dug out my test track and I can report that the new loco runs extremely well. I was surprised to discover that it was quite happy to run smoothly at low speed, just as well as when running cab first it will stand on its nose when the power is shut off quickly, due to the combination of short wheelbase and top heavy white metal body. It doesn't like dirty track, as you would expect with a very short wheelbase. No need to replace the chassis, all that needs doing is a touch of paint and the addition of couplers.

• Like 14

Mike,

I was given a couple of "big four" maps at church this morning.  One was Southern Railway 1928 and the other wasn't.  It's in a paper envelope and is quite fragile so I don't want to unfold it.  Would you like it the next time we meet?  Shoreditch, or are you coming to Warley?  No money to me, but value to a suitable charity?

Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 10

That low curves wall would look so much better as a retaining wall with a  live steamer perambulating along behind it.

NHN and I would be happy to come over and give you conflicting advice on the best way to proceed with the track foundations.

A work party could be arranged. How many ER's could kip in your playroom barn?

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Another good day in the workshop/garden today. My portable workstation is now complete and I also managed to get the grass cut too, before it rained! Even though we weren't due any, we had quite a lot, especially after I'd I'd finished and come inside.

As promised, below is a photo of my workstation, I've worked out that it cost less than £6.00 to make, I'm hoping it will get a lot of use in the next few weeks. I'll have to see how I get on, as it may need a few tweaks when I start to use it.

post-27337-0-62053500-1505687931_thumb.jpg

Goodnight all

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Junior NB learnt a life lesson from me last night.

If you are going to mix G&T in the same strength as the "large" vodka and coke you are mixing for me and try to keep up, the consequences will not be good. 

Next door were having a house-warming party - they finally moved in 6 weeks ago after 18 months of renovation work. Junior  and myself had returned from an excellent Hawks victory at the ice hockey to join the party at 8.30pm and were in celebratory mood. The rest of the party had started at 4pm. We soon caught up, but...........

Junior had to return home "ill" from work at 9am Sunday and retired to bed with a bucket for company. Very little sympathy from parents.

Monday night promises to be a return of evening mountain biking. The batteries for the lights are charged and ready to roll. Quite looking forward to my first MTB ride in about 6 months, although I may be sore afterwards.

Have a good Monday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

I was given a couple of "big four" maps at church this morning.  One was Southern Railway 1928 and the other wasn't.  It's in a paper envelope and is quite fragile so I don't want to unfold it.  Would you like it the next time we meet?  Shoreditch, or are you coming to Warley?  No money to me, but value to a suitable charity?

Bill

Definitely interested please Bill - I hope to make Warley this year and the next shoreditch meet (whenever iD decides that will be so either will do).

• Like 8

Junior NB learnt a life lesson from me last night.

If you are going to mix G&T in the same strength as the "large" vodka and coke you are mixing for me and try to keep up, the consequences will not be good. 

Next door were having a house-warming party - they finally moved in 6 weeks ago after 18 months of renovation work. Junior  and myself had returned from an excellent Hawks victory at the ice hockey to join the party at 8.30pm and were in celebratory mood. The rest of the party had started at 4pm. We soon caught up, but...........

Junior had to return home "ill" from work at 9am Sunday and retired to bed with a bucket for company. Very little sympathy from parents.

Monday night promises to be a return of evening mountain biking. The batteries for the lights are charged and ready to roll. Quite looking forward to my first MTB ride in about 6 months, although I may be sore afterwards.

Have a good Monday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

"Better bring a bucket".

Ah, the joys of parenthood!

(We are still dealing with it, and he is 37 now.)

Evening all

Another good day in the workshop/garden today. My portable workstation is now complete and I also managed to get the grass cut too, before it rained! Even though we weren't due any, we had quite a lot, especially after I'd I'd finished and come inside.

As promised, below is a photo of my workstation, I've worked out that it cost less than £6.00 to make, I'm hoping it will get a lot of use in the next few weeks. I'll have to see how I get on, as it may need a few tweaks when I start to use it.

attachicon.gifIMG_1637.JPG

Goodnight all

Well made but much too tidy.

I'll give it one week before you have trouble finding it!

• Like 1

Good morning one and all

Yesterday was not as productive as I had wished.  The steak was cooked and duly munched, the dishes washed and a James Bond movie with Sean Connery played while I rested.  I did write something quite hefty on another thread here and read a few things from the pile.  Can I blame the trip to Crich for making me tired?  I could, but it would not be fair.  Perhaps today will see more action.

There were signs of police activity in the neighbourhood over the weekend.  No, not a siege, not even a police car on patrol [come on!] but a piece of paper on the doormat containing lots of handier household hints on crime prevention.  They will make gripping reading in due course.  Meanwhile the local rag reports that the police station is to be converted into flats.  Whatever next?  A report on Look East saying that the Bedfordshire Constabulary is off sick with a sprained wrist?

Best wishes and felicitations to all in distress and recovery.  Even trainee drinkers ...

Chris

• Like 13

Morning All,

We have a very autumnal morning today.  Foggy, and temperatures down to 6°C in the forest.  The central heating has also been coming on in the mornings over the past few days, and we lit the fire for the first time on Saturday evening.  If anything, the cold has arrived a little earlier this year.  It is usually around the first week in October before we need to light the fire.

There isn't a lot else to report, so I guess it is time for a coffee.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the Charente.    The house is beginning to stir but at the moment is still quiet.  The rough plan for the day took shape last night over a game of Mah Jong.   Beth will have to stay in this morning as the nurse will be coming. I am to take peter and Margery shopping to the supermarket and the vineyard for essential supplies.  After lunch the ladies are departing for a pedicure so peter and I are off to Ruffec. Me to watch trains for an hour or so and Peter to wander round the town.   Sounds like a good plan to me.

As to the suggestions for a garden railway.   Thus has been talked about.   I'm not sure that the authorities will allow a 7 1/4" line though.

Mick, just make sure that the bucket isn't  a plastic waste bin with holes from cigarettes in the base as happened to someone I knew at college.  I won't go any further .........

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 13