The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

POETS didn't;t happen - just like last week and next week. But then have scheduled nine LIW days (Location Independent Working) Fridays twixt now and Christmas, so `poets will happen on Thursday :)

We were going to venture out to Hailes Abbey in Gloucestershire today, but with the weather forecast for rain and pretty cool being variable we've decided to stay at home. Sandy has yet to surface.

After a week her new job is going well - less tiring working with an autistic child to one with Special Educational Needs. She has to slow this one down when it comes to maths. It also helps that the commute distance is 60% of what it was and it's in a much more convenient direction - towards our local town rather than away from it.

I have read, digested, confused and misremembered previous posts, so if anything happened and i've missed it apologies.

I've instituted a new regime for my degree - the one I'm course director for - and thus far it seems to be working better. Time will tell.

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Commiserations Dick, I know the feeling!

Rather cloudy with a hint of sunshine but scattered heavy showers forecast later, perhaps with thunder.

For the third night running I've slept solidly for over 7 hours which is something I've not done for years.

Beer o'clock here on weekdays is not normally before 5pm .......unless I say different or have gone out for lunch. Weekends it can be any time from midday onwards.  :yes:   

Interesting to note the number of driving wombles in some parts of the country. We do occasionally see them around here but quite frankly if we had as many as some of you suffer from I suspect the troops would be called out to deal with the road rage that would be generated.

Just been informed that The Boss now only has 29 working days until retirement. Yippee!

I spent a very productive afternoon tidying up in the railway room and have found all sorts of things all over the place that I'd forgotten about. There is enough to keep me occupied for quite a while so I don't think any more purchases will be made in the near future (apart from pre-orders)...........unless I see something that I really like/must have. :whistle:

Looks like a busy day for me what with the layout, F1 and rugby.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17

Just done a Grandad Bob. Bent over to pick up a dropped tea towel and whacked my head on a (metal) corner of the worktop. Cut forehead, headache, feeling a bit groggy.

May have got out of the driving to go shopping...

Must be contagious!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just done a Grandad Bob. Bent over to pick up a dropped tea towel and whacked my head on a (metal) corner of the worktop. Cut forehead, headache, feeling a bit groggy.

May have got out of the driving to go shopping...

'All

Dick a trip to Sainsbury's with you SWMBO will cure any malady you have after banging one's head I'm sure GDB will agree.   :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning again just back from depositing SWMBO at her weaving event. Came across two cockwombles having a dispute over who should back up down a one country single track lane. The official diversion round the burnt out pub is about 10 miles further around... miles around

Just before I went I decided to look at the sites dog policy, banned. Totally, not even allowed in the car park. pages of complaints as that is not in their paper work adverts or on the signs outside.

So me and Ben can't go, oh dear how sad...

So when I've had a coffee I'll be doing a little work on the landrover, then I may get some work on the shed layout supports done.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Sympathies there, Chrisf. Happens all the time around here, too.

Lost count of the number of times I'm waiting to turn right at a T junction and an impatient driver wanting to turn left steams up on the nearside and blocks the view. 

The end result seems to be two annoyed drivers parked parallel and next to each other trying to peer over the other's bonnet or through the middle of their car to get a view of oncoming traffic. 

I'm extremely cautious at T junctions; the only car accident I've ever had being at one (my fault) and not something I wish to repeat. 

So, I take my time and make treble sure that it is safe to make the turn. Good on you for doing likewise! 

• RMweb Premium

Morning everyone.

The sun is out, so so am I, out to the workshop that is! I've got to make a start on Max's train set layout, which has to be ready for December 1st, his birthday.

Yesterday I had my second payment for not working, it's great init?

I've managed to catch up with yesterday's posts and they have all been read etc.

Back later.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Welcome to the weekend.

Suspiciously quiet about the Hill which might indicate there will be noise later. I am enjoying the calm before any possible storm.

Funny thing yesterday. Barriers lift at the railway crossing and big black SUV type thing tries to move. It jerks in a demented fashion several times but makes no progress. After repeating this a few times the car behind toots horn. Driver of offending vehicle emerges and is a very young-looking and diminutive female. Car-behind driver yells at her. She turns on the waterworks and explains "It won't go". Yellng man goes to see what's wrong; it takes two seconds to diagnose. "Take the ****ing handbrake off!!!" Female driver: "What?" Male: "(expletives deleted)". Female returns to car. Male explains what that lever is for. Female releases handbrake while outside the car .........

........ meanwhile the gates have lowered for the next train and an unbraked car now rolls gently forward pursued by its driver and nudges the barrier skirt.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A bit different place today for beer next to St Denys station.

Last time that I was in thus pub must have been well over twenty years ago and still a goid place. Currently drinking Greene King xx mild which is gard to find these days and at & 3.40 a pint is well worth having.

unfortunately no freight or Cross Country services today despite real-time trains we showing timings.

Time for more beer in that case. Two more pubs either side of the station to revisitpost-1557-0-01308700-1505560824_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

A bit different place today for beer next to St Denys station.

Last time that I was in thus pub must have been well over twenty years ago and still a goid place. Currently drinking Greene King xx mild which is gard to find these days and at & 3.40 a pint is well worth having.

unfortunately no freight or Cross Country services today despite real-time trains we showing timings.

Time for more beer in that case. Two more pubs either side of the station to revisitattachicon.gif20170916_120645.jpg

One of my old watering holes! I very rarely visit now. 20+ years ago it was a Marstons' house and the lounge bar was home to a lively social scene. The change to Greene King drove a lot of customers away to the neighbouring two pubs. If you have time after the South Western and Dolphin, it's not very far to the Guide Dog, which is worth a visit.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

One of my old watering holes! I very rarely visit now. 20+ years ago it was a Marstons' house and the lounge bar was home to a lively social scene. The change to Greene King drove a lot of customers away to the neighbouring two pubs. If you have time after the South Western and Dolphin, it's not very far to the Guide Dog, which is worth a visit.

Yes quite an X rated conversation going on in thr junction!

Now in the Dolphin which was closed last time we were here and next will be the South Western which we visited a few years ago after a TrainWest show.

The Guide Dog looks interesting but a little too far for this visit as will have to be heading back soon.

Found a few freights about but none that come via Oxford.

post-1557-0-88591100-1505564650_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I have sorted out the computer that was reluctant to converse with the new router.

I retasked the PH and told him not to leave the office until it was fixed.

Since he was going out this afternoon, much effort was expended and a favourable result occurred.

I repaid the favour by shampooing a carpet.............. Unfortunately it was not his!

This afternoon ,more work will ensure in the garden, although I would like a little bit of time to start the build of the signal box kit I have on the workbench, as well as finishing off my two Toad brake vans.

I have no wish to emulate Brossard's efforts elsewhere in the forum, so these will be built straight from the box.  Any fine detailing can come later when I have more time and inclination.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

AWOL for a couple of days, but lurking.  Everybody's contributions read and rated.  Greetings are, of course, on offer as usual.

Trip to Skipton on A 65 on Thursday resulted in it becoming pie-day (yay) and when I passed the road that Mick mentioned, my thought of how any bus driver could even think about getting through the low bridge caused considerable bogglement of the mind.  I was surprised that any local driver would make such a monumental cockwomble event - and the bus company in question is a well respected and well run outfit, so I'd think that words would be said.

G word was mentioned yesterday and again today.  Hence in part my absence here.  In fact, today's visit will be short and sweet as there's still a lot to do.

Will try to visit tomorrow. 

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Hello all.

I did make it to the Shenfield exhibition. I did see all the layouts but didn't stay long. Nothing wrong with the exhibition I just started to feel tired and was getting sore legs. I didn't buy anything. I didn't see PhilJW but it is an exhibition of many rooms. My Sat nav took me a way that was actually quicker though not one I have ever considered. I followed its advice as it knows where the traffic hold ups are.

Aditi didn't want to go the exhibition so she has gone to see her Mum in Enfield. MiL has produced a care package for me containing my favourite Indian food items.

Matthew rang, he has his bank sorted, his PPS number (like the UK National Insurance number) and a desk with computer and his own printer at the university. He is going to find a pub tomorrow to watch a football final, Dublin v Mayo I believe.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 18