The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The CX already has its own towbar, but I've not seen a weight-distributing hitch in use before.

Funny you should ask about the brakes; I was looking into this, and most, if not all, of the new production trailers come with a braking system nowadays, including the single horse Ifor Wiliams I linked to earlier.

Here is a link that might provide more info. https://www.caravansplus.com.au/guides/how-to-choose-the-right-weight-distribution-hitch-a-24.html

I suspect the Citroen's hitch would have to be converted into a standard square hitch receiver to accept one of these things.

Good to know the trailers have brakes. You'd definitely want that.

• RMweb Gold

Certainly looks like a happy chap!

Best wishes, Matthew!

We are very pleased that Matthew seems content now. He really wasn't happy during his MSc year in London but he stuck it out. His two years in Utrecht were much better but he had health issues whuch seem resolved now. He found out yesterday that one of the people he has known for years through a European Geography association is about to study at Maynooth too. Matthew's friend Mo (Moritz from Vienna) can't meet up with Matthew until Saturday as Mo is going to Irish Dancing class on Friday. Matthew has no intention of going dancing.
  • Like 19

BIN day, bins out plus a TON of extra trash as we appear to be simultaneously clearing out before my brother arrives today, and also finding additional detritus to help with the future move to our other house...

Last night the Mrs and I created a spreadsheet for the schedule of actions/events from now through the end of the wedding day Sunday, including various venues, who needs to be where/when, what tasks need to be completed by when and by whom, it's seemingly ENDLESS.

:rtfm: <DON'T PANIC> <HELP> <GRAB ME A G&T> :O

Life in the fast lane began an hour ago with Mrs in charge of dropping of the wedding dress to be pressed, then we have about a million errands to run, I need to complete my "father of the groom" speech, and somehow we have to be relaxed and composed by about 3PM to head to the airport and collect my brother ... AAAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! <shortness of breath>

Trevor is, fortunately, recovering well, and should be in top shape by the weekend <phew>!

Add to that it was already 22 first thing, sunny and air quality considered POOR, expecting a 32 high <phew>

OK, I need to write, order a decoder for my soon to arrive Q1 (MOST important task in the next hour!!) and get my bum in gear, have a great day all.

• RMweb Premium

a general clear out of the garage has been undertaken with 6 baseboards from my roundy roundy O16.5 layout gone to baseboard heaven.

Van booked for tomorrow, need to pick it up and get to Hull to empty Dr Eldest Herberts remaining possessions from his hired house. Most will be coming here, some will then be taken to London on Sunday.

No modelling done today..may attempt to do some stock sorting tonight.

Baz

• RMweb Gold

All this stuff about trailers caused me to look up the details for my car. 750kg for an unbraked trailer and 2000kg for a braked trailer. Maximum noseweight 150kg. I am not likely to need to concern myself about this. I do know the wading depth though!

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

... van booked for tomorrow, need to pick it up and get to Hull to empty Dr Eldest Herberts remaining possessions from his hired house. Most will be coming here, some will then be taken to London on Sunday.

Baz

You won't pay congestion charge in London at the weekend but I hope your van hire haven't given you some old non LEZ compliant vehicle. Someone on RMweb I recall drove their campervan inside the M25 and received a non payment notice!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Electric brake systems for trailers are extremely rare in the UK.

Most electric brake systems used in the USA and AUS would actually be illegal here, very few are approved for use.

In general if the trailer is above 750kg, Overrun brakes are required on all axles on new trailers, and there has to be a working hand brake for parking.

My old trailer has rod operated brakes, most new ones are cable operated and on rare occasions hydraulic.

If you are really bored the full rules are here, http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/trailers/brakes

He doesn't like rushing through airports. 

Tony, Is that even possible nowadays?

I can’t imagine that my infamous drive across the apron at Philadelphia in one of the little trucks airports use in order for me to catch the BA flight to Heathrow (being held for me) would be considered, even if my delay was due to US Airways...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick reply to that Mick.   Not an easy way out for the bus.  There would first have to a long reverse and possibly open a field gate to turn round.  Then back to Rathmell turn right and go round through Rome before coming back onto what I know as the High Rigg road that parallels the bypass on the other side of the railway, then turn left and eventually at Paley Green turn back onto the A65.  The road via Rome (Which is actually only a farm,) woud be interesting in a large vehicle.

Simples.

Jamie

There is a possibility that it may have used the entrance to Settle water treatment works which is just on the Rathmell side of the bridge. But I didn't hang around to find out.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I can’t imagine that my infamous drive across the apron at Philadelphia in one of the little trucks airports use in order for me to catch the BA flight to Heathrow (being held for me) would be considered, even if my delay was due to US Airways...

Best, Pete.

I once had a Heathrow-Newcastle shuttle held for me coming off a Hong Kong flight - ran across the apron with my case and up the steps, cases left in the alleyway by the front doors!  This was in the 70's though, it wouldn't happen now for sure. 

• RMweb Gold

Best, Pete.

I took Aditi's Uncle and Aunt to Stansted earlier this year. They were catching a flight to Edinburgh (day trip, they are US citizens!). We were really delayed getting to the airport due to a broken down Royal Mail van on the roundabout onto the A12. We got to the airport 30 minutes before the plane was due to take off. Even though it was a domestic flight there was still security to get through. Even though they have various pacemakers and titanium joints they still made the flight!

My Matthew likes to be first in the queue at bag drop and through security as soon as possible. The electronic recognition systems always recognise him but his lack of hair seems to confuse humans. His passport photo was taken when he was 16. He is off to Canada, St John's, for a conference soon. It is almost local for him now.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I have a trailer but its so small and light it does not even require brakes. I purchased it brand new about a year ago but have only used it once or twice. I always understood that a trailer should never exceed two thirds of the weight of the towing vehicle. A lot of drivers haven't got a clue about towing trailers even those who you would expect to know better. A couple of motoring journalists were towing a car on a trailer when the trailer started swinging from side to side, so to quote "I accelerated to straighten up the trailer." Inevitably he lost control but fortunately without any damage to vehicles or occupants.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 7

Afternoon all,

I have been much remiss with both my railway modelling and my RMWeb posting as of late.

It is good to see someone on this thread blatantly using the MODELLING word! Censorship vs the right to freedom of speech at whatever level of discussion, whilst a rite, will always remain a matter of (ironically) debate!

Whilst others herein may disagree, even in the WT&S thread, we still contribute to the Railway Modellers' Web (RMWeb) forum!

In an earlier post I mentioned that I have been watching the railway programmes on NHK, well they recently featured some of their "luxury" trains.  As I see it Japan Railways (in it's various incarnations - such as JR West or JR East) have come up with a plan to utilise the various secondary and rural lines  to generate a profit, now that the Shinkansen network is so extensive and the plan is to enjoy "going slow" in a luxury train. Unlike in the West - where luxury trains, such as the Orient Express, look to the past, Japan Railways very much looks to the future. Three particularly impressed me: The "Twilight Express Mizukaze" (http://twilightexpress-mizukaze.jp/en/), the "Cruise Train Seven Stars in Kyushu (http://www.cruisetrain-sevenstars.com/seven-stars/#about ) - Suite 701 for me! and the "Train Suite Shiki Shima" (https://www.jreast.co.jp/shiki-shima/en/ ) whose technology makes the majority of the rolling stock in Britain look positively antediluvian...

What is it with the railways in Britain? In Japan the railways are privatised yet the companies mange to run clean, comfortable, timely and profitable services. I took the Nozomi Shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Kyoto Station and was incredibly impressed by station, train and service (as I was travelling "Green Class", the attractive young female ticket collector[???] offered me a complimentary refreshing towel after checking my ticket - how about that, Southern Rail?).  The railway stations not only had food outlets and other shops and one - I forget which one (Tokyo station, Shinagawa staion or Shinjuku station) even had a model railway shop (well souvenir shop that sold model railways).

I have recommended NHK World's Japan Railway Journal' transmission to my MD and my line ,manager.

In Switzerland, the bus, railway, ship, etc. companies may be independent but they do work together to provide an integrated transport service.

"Train Suite Shiki Shima" is modelled in N scale by Kato!

Regarding your general comments above, I can only agree since I regularly travel in Switzerland and also watch the NHK World Channel's 'Japan Railway Journal', allowing me to compare both networks with whatever seems to exist in the UK!

You jibe at Southern Failways; during the original RMT strikes in 2016, they came 95% to adopting a Swiss-style service with connections (hitherto unheard of!) at my local station!

FYI, Chur and Arosa stations also sell Bemo and other makes of Model Railway souvenirs!

• Like 12

With all the security hoops to jump through before boarding, you can't rush anything now. The last time I boarded a flight (to Rome), the zig-zag queue to go through security at Luton reminded me of a cattle market.

Took an hour this morning in Heathrow terminal 2 in the "non-UK, non-EU passport" queue from joining it to finally getting our passports stamped. And, Ivan, your description of the queues as being like a cattle market is spot on. A group of 4 guys in front of us gave up, left the queue and (I'd guess) went for a beer, intending to come back at a quieter time.

Took an hour this morning in Heathrow terminal 2 in the "non-UK, non-EU passport" queue from joining it to finally getting our passports stamped. And, Ivan, your description of the queues as being like a cattle market is spot on. A group of 4 guys in front of us gave up, left the queue and (I'd guess) went for a beer, intending to come back at a quieter time.

Livestock gets better treatment these days, especially when compared to the budget airports such as Luton.

• RMweb Premium

I once had a Heathrow-Newcastle shuttle held for me coming off a Hong Kong flight - ran across the apron with my case and up the steps, cases left in the alleyway by the front doors!  This was in the 70's though, it wouldn't happen now for sure. 

My brother was once captain on one of those shuttles to Newcastle one Saturday afternoon and discovered that Peter Beardsley was on the flight.    (Post retirement)  He got Peter to come up to the cockpit, sat him on the jump seat with a set of headphones tuned to the football results and had him announcing the scores to the plane full of passengers.

Anyway I can report that I am still alive and uninjured.   A cracking day was had yesterday and we had a double birthday meal, as Beth's schoolfriend who lives near Limoges came to stop.  She has the same birthday so they each blew out half the candles on the cake.   Today we've been into St Jean D;Angeley for the afternoon for shopping and a meal then spent this evening playing Mah Jong.

Regards to all. 

Jamie

• Like 17