The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

It is a blustery and wet morning in this part of the world.  Definitely autumnal!

I am in the process now of saving the beer tokens to pay for a slight case of rot brought on by a flooded garage.  

attachicon.gifP1040054.JPG

Is that a Mini?!? :mosking: It certainly could be with that amount of tin worm.

As for Ron Wood - he certainly does look pensive!  Did you take the picture Pete?

Time for a coffee.  Have a good day everyone...

• Like 15

Good morning one and all

Late on parade again today, having been woken up by the wind at 3 am, gone back to sleep for once and regained consciousness well after time.

Some progress was made in the shed yesterday and the increasingly wretched piece of trackwork is now looking like it should.  Dinner was washed down with a pint of Brains SA for £1.49!

The car is partly fouling Mrs Electric-Chair's gates and needs to be unloaded.  Maybe after the impending long hot wallow a space will have become available.  Hark, I hear a car engine in receding mode.  Could this be an opportunity?

Thoughts to Beth from someone who still has the scars from some gymnastic hot fat.  Mine were caused by splashes when a piece of salmon was turned over in the wok.  Ouch.   Good luck to Rick for the grilling and to Andy for the job application which you know makes sense.  Felicitations and good wishes to everyone else in distress and recovery.

Chris 

• RMweb Premium

Two extremes:

attachicon.gifthousand_words_26.jpg

I wonder what poor old Ron is thinking.....

attachicon.gifncxo94.jpg

Lives in your neck of the woods, Rick. If I remember rightly The Artwoods (Art was his brother) played their share of gigs at Eel Pie Island.

Best, Pete.

The nappy needs changing?

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple here....

A terrible nights sleep of about four hours in several pieces mostly because my brain wouldn't shut up....

When I finally awoke it was to find myself screwed up into a ball, on trying to straighten out my back was very painful particularly between the shoulder blades. I only loaded the landrover with a dozen 17.5kg foundation blocks and then unloaded them again when I got home yesterday...

Gale force 8 to Storm Force 10, force 5 to 7 later, that's what the seaweed inspector on the radio said as I came in this morning, fortunately the house is sheltered by the trees in the garden from the wind in this direction. So we didn't have any problems during the night. but the peak according to the radio for us is about now. While winding my way round the single track roads avoiding the burnt out pub, I had to stop and pull a branch off the road, about 6inches In diameter at it's thickest and abut 10ft long. then getting in the car and driving round the next 90 degree bend I saw another branch falling from a tree, so after slowing to an almost stop while it settled I was able to go round this one by going up the verge a bit.

The journey was interesting being blown sideways, every time I passed a gateway in a hedge, the ground under chestnut trees was lethal with piles of ball bearing chestnuts and some crushed into a slippery sludge.. Once I was on the two way roads at least I could easily swerve round the fallen branches and nearing Norwich one tree was down but had already been cut back off of the road, so the council were on the ball with that one.

The wind is whistling around this factory building and we are fairly sheltered by other buildings until the wind gets a bit of north in it.

Time to...  go do some work if I can keep my eyes open....

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Bright & breezy here after a very windy night but that was OK as I have something I can take for it. :yes: Sunny periods, blustery showers and the chance of hail and thunder are on today's menu. I may give cutting the grass a miss.

Normal service has resumed so it was good to see Joe & Gem after school yesterday. They both expressed approval for one of my latest purchases (City of Truro) especially Gemma who particularly liked it. They couldn't inspect the Castle as The Boss has confiscated it for now.  

Joe thinks that I should order the SECR P class to go with my C class and forthcoming Hs. I feel an alphabet coming on. As I already have so much stuff on order I think I will have to prune something.

Further work may be undertaken on the  layout today as The Boss is lunching out with friends.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning awl from a blustery and somewhat damp Charente.   The bubbly is in the fridge and the fluffy pancake batter has been made. I even made a clandestine trip to the supermarket yesterday to get a fresh lemon. We are now just waiting for the birthday girl to wake up.   Her hand seems to be healing well but we will find out more each day as the district nurse changes the dressing each day.  Later on her schoolfriend Margaret who lives near Limoges is due with her partner.  It's also Margaret's birthday today so we will be having a lunch then a BBQ when some other friends from the village will be round. The seaweed wranglers are promising some sunshine and higher temperatires later to shopefully if should be a good day.

Thanks to everyone for all the good wishes, it is much appreciated.

Yesterday went as well as it could.   The funeral was a very low key affair but about 60 people turned up at the crem including the village mayor and her family.  We had only met Martin this summer and it's a terrible situation for his poor mum.  She has now lost 2 sons and a husband within a few years.  The surviving brother gave the eulogy with difficulty.  Poor Maureen, the mum. now has many decisions to make about her future as the surviving son lives in the UK.   

In the afternoon, we did a bit of gardening and I refitted the first batch of repainted kitchen cupboard doors.   The kitchen is being transformed from a sea of dark wood, to a nice light blue, which rather surprisingly seems to go well with the terracotta tiles and sink.   In the garden we keep discovering borders and features among the cleared undergrowth.  It is obvious that someone spent a lot of time and effort to create a rather nice garden and it's like an archaeological dig as we discover new things.  The previous owners had basically mowed the grass and left the bushes and trees to their own devices.   I'm not a gardener but am enjoying the transformation.

Andyram I hope that the new job settles down and that you enjoy it.

Regards to all.

Jamie 

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hmm... arrived in the lab to find three items requiring calibration, Due out tomorrow. Where have they been? Problem is they require 24hours stabilisation in the lab and then 3 three repeated measurements over three days. So if they are lucky I'll finish them on Monday...

Morning.

Ugh. Slept badly, now 40 minute drive the Emmaus in Fougères. Eyes hurt, really need this!

Looking for a wardrobe and old clocks.

Our weather isn't as good as Jamie's, I suspect/blame Aileen.

Best wishes to Beth, that must be pretty painful. It always amazes me how much heat can be transferred to flesh in a few seconds.

• Like 1

.. the truth was, in many cases, for some owners the greatest effort was opening their wallets.

I am in the process now of saving the beer tokens to pay for a slight case of rot brought on by a flooded garage.

P1040054.JPG

That's why I've only looked for rust-free examples, having experienced how a Karmann-bodied car can rust from the inside out.

The CX GTi has spent most of the past eight years sitting in a garage, which suggests a sporting chance of a near rust-free body. Bonus: it doesn't have a sunroof. I'm told that the ignition switch might need replacing (£300 for a new one!) and the driver's electric window motor runs slow (£90 for a new one).

I'm not even going to touch the subject of Citroën air-conditioning which was inadequate even when new, other than to say that an Australian CX owner redesigned his because he didn't fancy sitting in a furnace. Oddly enough, his redesign involved a lot of Dynamat-like insulation.

There's a series of suspension tests that I have to do to see if the oleopneumatic system is up to scratch, likewise the DIRAVI steering. I'm hoping that the wheels are not the metric-sized ones; already had too much experience paying through the nose for Michelin and Avon Turdospeed TRX tyres. Apparently some Alfa Romeo imperial wheels use the same PCD as big Citroëns, so there's an idea....

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Happy birthday to Beth and I hope the recovery from the nasty burn continue.

I think it is breezy here rather than windy. It was wet and windy when I collected Matthew from the station late last night.

I don't appear to have any allocated tasks today, other than taking Robbie somewhere for a walk. His hydrotherapy session yesterday was interesting as he started using his back legs when swimming instead of letting them trail as he has been doing.

Tony

• Like 17

That's why I've only looked for rust-free examples, having experienced how a Karmann-bodied car can rust from the inside out.

The CX GTi has spent most of the past eight years sitting in a garage, which suggests a sporting chance of a near rust-free body. Bonus: it doesn't have a sunroof. I'm told that the ignition switch might need replacing (£300 for a new one!) and the driver's electric window motor runs slow (£90 for a new one).

I'm not even going to touch the subject of Citroën air-conditioning which was inadequate even when new, other than to say that an Australian CX owner redesigned his because he didn't fancy sitting in a furnace. Oddly enough, his redesign involved a lot of Dynamat-like insulation.

There's a series of suspension tests that I have to do to see if the oleopneumatic system is up to scratch, likewise the DIRAVI steering. I'm hoping that the wheels are not the metric-sized ones; already had too much experience paying through the nose for Michelin and Avon Turdospeed TRX tyres. Apparently some Alfa Romeo imperial wheels use the same PCD as big Citroëns, so there's an idea....

What language is this please?

• RMweb Gold

There you go Peter:

यही कारण है कि मैंने केवल जंग-मुक्त उदाहरणों के लिए देखा है, अनुभव करते हुए कि एक कारमेन-शरीर वाली कार अंदर से बाहर निकल सकती है।

सीएक्स जीटी ने गेराज में बैठे पिछले आठ वर्षों में से अधिकांश बिताए हैं, जो कि एक करीबी जंग रहित शरीर के खेल का मौका देता है। बोनस: इसमें सनरूफ नहीं है मुझे बताया गया है कि इग्निशन स्विच को बदलने की ज़रूरत हो सकती है (एक नया के लिए £ 300!) और चालक की बिजली खिड़की मोटर धीमा (एक नए के लिए £ 90) धीमी गति से चलाती है।

मैं सीट्रोएन एयर कंडीशनिंग के विषय को भी नहीं छूने जा रहा हूं जो कि तब भी अपर्याप्त था जब नया, यह कहने के अलावा कि ऑस्ट्रेलियाई सीएक्स के मालिक ने फिर से डिजाइन किया क्योंकि वह भट्ठी में बैठा नहीं था। अजीब तरह से, उसकी रीडिज़ाइन में बहुत अधिक डायनामाट जैसी इन्सुलेशन शामिल था।

निलंबन परीक्षणों की एक श्रृंखला है, मुझे यह देखने के लिए करना है कि क्या ऑलओपोन्युमेटिक प्रणाली को खरोंच करना है, इसी तरह दीर्वा स्टीयरिंग भी है। मुझे उम्मीद है कि पहियों मीट्रिक-आकार वाले नहीं हैं; पहले से ही मिशेलिन और एवन टर्डोस्पेड टीआरएक्स टायर के लिए नाक के माध्यम से बहुत अधिक अनुभव किया है। जाहिरा तौर पर कुछ अल्फा रोमियो शाही पहियों में एक ही पीसीडी का उपयोग बड़े सिट्रोन्स के रूप में होता है, इसलिए एक विचार है ....

which roughly translates as :

main seetroen eyar kandeeshaning ke vishay ko bhee nahin chhoone ja raha hoon jo ki tab bhee aparyaapt tha jab naya, yah kahane ke alaava ki ostreliyaee seeeks ke maalik ne phir se dijain kiya kyonki vah bhatthee mein baitha nahin tha. ajeeb tarah se, usakee reedizain mein bahut adhik daayanaamaat jaisee insuleshan shaamil tha.

nilamban pareekshanon kee ek shrrnkhala hai, mujhe yah dekhane ke lie karana hai ki kya oloponyumetik pranaalee ko kharonch karana hai, isee tarah deerva steeyaring bhee hai. mujhe ummeed hai ki pahiyon meetrik-aakaar vaale nahin hain; pahale se hee mishelin aur evan tardosped teeaareks taayar ke lie naak ke maadhyam se bahut adhik anubhav kiya hai. jaahira taur par kuchh alpha romiyo shaahee pahiyon mein ek hee peeseedee ka upayog bade sitrons ke roop mein hota hai, isalie ek vichaar hai ....

• RMweb Gold

My version is much shorter for telephone purposes:

"There's something wrong with the car. Come and sort it".

Thst would be my response too nowadays. I notice that now we never need it we have "Complementary" AA Homestart added to our policy. At least the Ford Fiesta engine looks like an engine. The Land Rover (actually a Ford diesel) seems to be a lot of boxes with wires. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

....I wonder what poor old Ron is thinking.....

attachicon.gifncxo94.jpg

Probably trying to remember if he made the deadline for submitting the manuscript for his new book* on art.....

51lWDFRwusL.jpg

*actually, that recent book of his is not bad at all, though it's not exactly clear whether his prodigious talent for painting was there in spite of his previous drink 'n' drugs history, or because of it....

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright sun but a bit windy this morning but the seaweed twirlers predict the odd shower later. Last thing I remember last night was the rain rattling the windows until seven this morning when I awoke, or to be more accurate my bladder woke me up. Not much doing today but its club night tonight where a little bit of modelling and a lot of chewing the cud goes on. Be back later.

• Like 15