The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Guest Max Stafford

It was replaced in 2004 so hopefully adjustments will be all that's required. I'll gather up some more wood offcuts for packing where required. I've got stuff kicking about everywhere.

I'll be glad to see the back of the unsightly gap. It's grown to about an inch and looks horrible. I don't appear to have any problems with water ingress but better to prevent than cure!

Dave.

Wish I had room for Gordon's spare pointwork too! Sadly it would just languish in a box for years...

Took the bike out for a shakedown run post repair yesterday, all seems well now. Did 17.5 miles on it (as much as my bum could bear having been rather lazy recently. Will have a rest day today, do some tidying in the flat and not go outside (it's damp now and forecast to get soggy). Unfortunately I seem to have come down with laryngitis so am resting my voice and trying not to shout at the tv when Sideshow Bob goes a set down to the worst player on the tour...

• RMweb Premium

One of the shower trays in our house started to settle and after removing the panel I discovered that it had been installed with bits of cardboard as packing pieces.

Oh dear. The mind boggles at how anyone would end up with this kind of idea... :blink:

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear. The mind boggles at how anyone would end up with this kind of idea... :blink:

As quite a few houses in the road had the problem at least the installer was consistent. When I found it I replaced the packing pieces with bits of exterior plywood but by then the chipboard floor had been damaged. Eventually we ripped the whole lot out. The new shower tray came with a 50 year guarantee so I suspect I'll have to include it in my will.

I've been waiting for Matthew to ring. Today he and other people on his Geography course find out if they are on the first year pass/fail list. They get their grades tomorrow. I think I'll take Robbie out anyway as Matthew will just ring my mobile if I'm not at home.

Tony

Oh dear. The mind boggles at how anyone would end up with this kind of idea

The first house we bought (in the mid seventies) was empty but the name on the deeds was Frank Spencer. We thought it was a coincidence until we found an electrical socket fitted to the bottom riser of the staircase, and the wires were taken from holes that had been punched into the fusebox, with the live to one side of one fuse and the neutral to the other side of another fuse. The earth wasn't connected. :cry:

The bathroom ceiling had polystyrene tiles fitted, and when we took them down we found that a hole in the plasterboard ceiling had been 'fixed' with two layers of brown paper. :angry:

There's lots of them out there.... :(

Geoff

• RMweb Premium

There's lots of them out there....

We had much the same with very dubious electrics including a spa bath with the flex taken straight to the ring main with no isolator or circuit breaker (made safe by total disconnection), a shower with no waterproofing round the tray - just a couple of old rubber mats, and a gaping hole in the kitchen wall behind some duff plastering infilled with polyfila snd newspaper. We had a survey done, but it missed all of these issues and concentrated on faults that we knew about - I tried to get my money back, but inevitably, the wording was so vague as to render the survey useless.

The bills to make good reached over sixteen grand. Admittedly, we bought the place at more than that under the market value, so I guess we're still on the winning side.

Afternoon All

Cloudy, dull, but dry here.

Can't make room for the track, unforunately, Gordon so hope you sell it to a good home.

Not a lot more to add today so...

Regards to All

Stewart

Guest Max Stafford

Well, that's plan A scuppered. I can't get the panelling off the front of the bath. The installer took it right down to floorboard level with the top going under the lip of the bath with the consequence that there's no movement in it at all. I'm not prepared to wreck it and leave a gaping mess that I'd have to replace. I think I'll leave this one to the pros... :rolleyes:

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Question:

The word "Cor!" Where did it come from and does anyone still use it? It seemed to be popular in my youth..........

Best, Pete.

Without using Google, I seem to recall that it is derived from Cor Blimey, Gawd Blimey which derived from an eighteenth century oath "God Blind Me".

Tony

Yes, Tony. Your reply struck a chord in my memory that it derived from the word God.

Cheeky chappies used to use it a lot in old British films from the 40's and 50's......

Thank you. Perhaps you should start some kind on internet service.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure Aditi would object strongly.

I'm not likely to be criticised for anything tonight as I managed to create an "organisational structure diagram" (pretty boxes with lines) for her that wasn't turning out well on her computer. I haven't done anything like that in years. She also thinks the little houses being assembled on the glass coffee table top are very pretty!

Tony

Started watching the 2008 (Rupert Penry-Jones) version of The Thirty Nine Steps earlier (interrupted when my dad phoned). After being accused of Scudder's murder, Hannay jumps a barrier at a London station, and gets on a Caledonian Railways train heading for Inverness. The first shot of the engine is in extreme close-up but it's wide enough (just) to tell that it's an apple green LNER D49, Morayshire.

Unfortunately, The Thirty Nine Steps is set in 1914, the LNER wasn't created until 1923, and Hunt Class locos weren't around until 1928.

Whooops.

Pedantic, moi? <_<

Guest Max Stafford

Not only that Mike, but if my spider sense is correct then I'm pretty sure Hannay exits the train and goes to ground in Galloway somewhere round about the big Fleet viaduct. I actually read the book on a camping trip round there so maybe there was an element of auto-suggestion at play!

Dave.

I'm in bed now Gordon! Hope the insomnia wears off shortly. Meantime, there's umpteen points to replace now you're selling the first batch! ;)

I'm still suffering with laryngitis. Doesn't hurt too much unless I sneeze (and believe me I'm trying not to!) when it feels as if I'm launching a tonsil into orbit. Today I sounded like the ginger haired college student/spotty youth on The Simpsons...

I'm just sitting here and sipping a cuppa, trying to relax and clear my head. Once I wake up a ton of thoughts come rushing into my head and the chances of going back to sleep are zero. I'll probably give it till 1.30 and then try again.

You have my sympathies with laryngitus. Is this something you have picked up from Jamie? Hopefully a good nights sleep will help. Night Nurse is pretty good for giving you a good rest with the type of symptoms you have.

Not sure where I picked it up, I presume it was Jamie! Started getting symptoms last Wednesday - very sore swallowing and sudden pain in the larynx.

It's improved from that but is still tender around the larynx/glands and I certainly won't be recording any vocals for Pete any time soon! Have just had a hot toddy and am off to sleep. The only plus with it is that it gives me a guilt-free excuse to consume lots of honey and golden syrup as they both seem to help! :)

Night Gordon, sweet dreams when you get back to sleep!