The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

We're expecting a little rain in Gotham City today - quite frankly we need it, no major storms; has been pleasant.

Gordon - Apple manage it. I recently upgraded my OS and the first thing it did was go on an automatic search (and install) any needed "drivers"............took about 30 seconds max.

Best, Pete.

Guest tony graham

Well I awoke at 4am to the sound of the birds, had shower, dressed, breakfast & coffee and was at work for just before 5. And it was a little frosty by then.

Now that I'm home I may have a little venture out on the bike for a short 20 mile ride, and then if time permits before swapping cars with the wife for her evening rounds to dress wounds and administer lotions and potions venture round and see Dave and Abi to scrounge a brew, inspect his guttering and admire the bike that were both in the rear of my car yesterday.

I copped out of helping Dave with his gutters as I had other plans that involved a propeller, 3 wheels and a pair of wings doing a series of touch and goes with a final journey over the Solway and back

A village committee near Arundel discussed the installation of shelves in a disused 'phone box for use as a small free library.

Concern was expressed that the books would be stolen by mean spirited persons.

The project went ahead.

Two days later, the books were found in neat piles at the side of the road and the 'phone box had been stolen.

• RMweb Gold

I copped out of helping Dave with his gutters as I had other plans that involved a propeller, 3 wheels and a pair of wings doing a series of touch and goes with a final journey over the Solway and back

Did you fly over Dave's house to make sure the guttering was proceeding in a satisfactory manner?

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Loved the converted station with the old coach in the garden. Where was that one taken?...

That is Horsebridge Station on the erstwhile Sprat and Winkle line from Romsey to Andover (see here). Part of this is now a section of the Test way , which can be cycled / walked over and goes right past Horsebridge Station and the lovely old mill building there (very modellable). It utilises the old railway bridges to go over the River Test, and passes through Stockbridge and a few other places with pubs adjacent....

• RMweb Gold

Gordon - Apple manage it. I recently upgraded my OS and the first thing it did was go on an automatic search (and install) any needed "drivers"............took about 30 seconds max.

Best, Pete.

If you install a new version of Windows (eg Windows 7) it comes with a huge quantity of drivers for all kinds of obscure devices. Gordon is reinstalling an OS that is quite a few years old and has to catch up with whatever has happened in the last 5 years. Hopefully Gordon will have a nicely behaved computer now.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Impossible - it's not an Apple.

Best, Pete.

PS Sorry guys it is so hard to resist........I know, I know.

biggrin.gif

I'm very fond of my Apple iPod. There must be some convention that devices named after fruit work together though, as when I plugged my Blackberry phone into the PC it asked if I wanted to synchronise with my iTunes library. The backup server on my network would seem to be some sort of Linux device but fortunately it is just a beige box as far as I'm concerned!

Tony

Guest tony graham

Evening all. Saw the neurologist this morning - I'm allowed to drive again! :D

Great news

Guest tony graham

Did you fly over Dave's house to make sure the guttering was proceeding in a satisfactory manner?

Tony

Just very slightly to the right of it while on Finals to the field, had a cracking view of Kingmoor though

• RMweb Gold

We have just found out that the place where my good lady goes to earn the funds to help pay for my modelling is closing down. They have offered her a reasonable package and to be honest it is for the best as she is spending more and more time looking after her rapidily deteriorating mother. I was trying to persuade her to pack in anyway as she was struggling to do both. This has helped make a decision for us. Will just have to tighten the belts, cut our cloth etc etc. It might be time to get out all of those kits that have been lying around backs of cupboards since the year dot.

Glad to hear that you can drive again. Good moos indeed.

Guest Max Stafford

Congrats on getting flight clearance again, Moo. Sounds like it's a good time for Mrs BoD to get out, it sounds like the call's been made for her but sometimes you need the final push and this is one of those times so it appears to be for the best. Enjoy the pile of kits!

Dave.

Doesn't hugely affect my non-work life, but makes a fair difference both with work and with attempting to find a new/better job. I'm not going to buy a new car as it's not financially worthwhile for me to do so - airport travel pass is cheap and gives me a lot of unlimited bus travel in a fairly wide area. Living where I am now, I have no need of a car.

Makes a big difference at work though, as well as letting me finally do overtime again!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Weather forecast for the weekend looks promising, so we may be doing a barbecue after all. I'll be off for two courses later on, but as they're both interesting, I have no objections to that.

Have a good day everyone!

Morning All,

It is slightly warmer here this morning. 3°C isn't that warm, but at least it's above freezing!

It's a funny old world...

Have a good day everybody.

Edited to say, Congratulations Moo. Excellent result, glad it didn't go the udder way.

Morning all....:)

Pleased to read your good news Moo. I'm sure getting back behind the wheel will help you no end.

Not sure about your news BoD. It's always a bit scary at first when faced with a change in your family circumstances, but more often than not, the change is often for the best as it forces you to consider your current lifestyle and look at alternative options. I'm sure you'll look back in a few months time and think why didn't we do this before. Spending quality time being with people you love and doing things that you want to do is infinitely preferable than the daily slog....

Wishing you all the best in your new lifestyle....

Morning all!

I'll definitely be voting as it's our Scottish Parliament elections today. I've made up my mind on AV but am still undecided as to where to place my votes for the Scottish Parliament elections.

One key local issue in Leith is a proposed biomass plant which will be an incredible eyesore and won't do half of what it's meant to do. Having researched it last night, I know that the Labour, Lib Dem and SNP candidates are all against it. I can't find any evidence of what the Conservative candidate thinks about anything - I've not even had a leaflet from the Conservatives, Greens or any of the minor parties.

Grey and dull in Edinburgh this morning. Feeling tired already so may need a nap this evening before watching the elections coverage. This year's campaigning seems to have almost entirely passed me by.

Anyway, enough politics... Congratulations Moo on getting the all clear. BoD - sometimes these things come along at just the right time and this sounds like one of those.