The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The behaviour of motorist such as that is probably the best argument I know for the relaxation of firearms laws in Britain and allowing pedestrians to carry .50 calibre Brownings (if they fit enough to bear the weight of course).

I'd so like our trams to be fitted with anti-tank guns for instant punishment of inept motorists, thinking of that muppet White Van Man who nearly jammed himself between my tram and a row of parked cars last night, having come from behind at more than 60 or even 70 kph, I guess. TBH, I did find myself wishing that stunt had gone wrong. For they know not what they do...

• RMweb Premium

Struggling a bit to find a photo of NHN, as he is usually behind the camera.

However, this one popped up on the GGR website, just taken last Sunday of NHN (green boilersuit, diametrically challenged) and Jonathan K (blue boilersuit, follically challenged) trying to remember how the clutch operating mechanism of Parracombe goes back together!  I keep my beard short, otherwise I find it irritates.

post-10195-0-03101600-1484335978.jpg

• Like 17

A relaxing day and I'm starting to feel better at last.

Today has been spent finalising track plans which has proved to be entertaining at times.

Beards, I've had them when required but don't find them comfortable although I frequently go several days without a shave. Wet shaving only as I was taught in basic training.

I may be back later.

• Like 14

Our snow started at about 7am and quicj=kly got heavier - so getting up the hill out of out village an hour later proved interesting - praise by for traction control.

Other then that a pretty average day. 

Cider this evening is dulling the adverse memories.

• Like 18

I am just wondering whether I should sharpen my late fathers walking stick tip or whether I can get away with carrying his fathers bayonet on my next excursion to Waitrose.  Maybe a spray can would be better should a miscreant space invader encroach again.  

The approach of todays miscreant was on the level with clear view ahead and a junction to my left that he should have been paying attention to.  In the opposite direction traffic approach up the hill and seem to do so at a fair lickety spit.

• Like 2

I nearly lost it completely in a meeting today. I was easily the oldest one there and can remember the first broadcast.

For various reasons it was suggested that for next years input we put in their welcome goodie bag a university branded microfibre towel.

As today I was wearing badge 42 those of a certain age and humour persuasion will appreciate why I nearly lost it.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Many people seem to be unaware that if a zebra crossing has an island in the centre fitted with another belisha beacon it is two separate crossings. I had someone report me for going through a crossing whilst he was walking across it. He threatened to take me to court so I took a picture of the crossing and in the presence of his solicitor asked him to show me where he was on the crossing when I drove across the crossing. When I pointed out that the island with not one but two belisha beacons was between us he tried to make out that I still should have stopped until I showed him the relevant item in the highway code. That states IIRC that pedestrians should stop at the island to check that it is safe to cross. Another incident last year, I was approaching a pedestrian crossing, no one was waiting to cross but I eased off just in case. The only pedestrian visible was a chap on my side of the road walking towards me on the footpath about 3 feet from the kerb. As I approached he suddenly veered to the left and stepped onto the crossing about ten feet in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and only just avoided hitting him. He just carried on blithely talking on his mobile, he didn't even look up and he certainly didn't look before stepping onto the crossing.

• Like 2

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Many people seem to be unaware that if a zebra crossing has an island in the centre fitted with another belisha beacon it is two separate crossings. I had someone report me for going through a crossing whilst he was walking across it. He threatened to take me to court so I took a picture of the crossing and in the presence of his solicitor asked him to show me where he was on the crossing when I drove across the crossing. When I pointed out that the island with not one but two belisha beacons was between us he tried to make out that I still should have stopped until I showed him the relevant item in the highway code. That states IIRC that pedestrians should stop at the island to check that it is safe to cross. Another incident last year, I was approaching a pedestrian crossing, no one was waiting to cross but I eased off just in case. The only pedestrian visible was a chap on my side of the road walking towards me on the footpath about 3 feet from the kerb. As I approached he suddenly veered to the left and stepped onto the crossing about ten feet in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and only just avoided hitting him. He just carried on blithely talking on his mobile, he didn't even look up and he certainly didn't look before stepping onto the crossing.

Seems to be accepted practise these days, to walk out onto a crossing without looking in either direction. "You knock me down and I will sue you!" would be their maxim.

My old dad use'd to say "Don't protest your right of way from underneath a Corporation bus!"

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Seems to be accepted practise these days, to walk out onto a crossing without looking in either direction. "You knock me down and I will sue you!" would be their maxim.

My old dad use'd to say "Don't protest your right of way from underneath a Corporation bus!"

The same seems to apply to certain residents and students of Blackburn - but they don't need to be remotely near a pedestrian crossing.

I could list the various schools in order in the town for which had the worst offenders, going up to those that were best behaved near roads.

I have a theory about why there are bad to good, but I'm not going to post it here...........

Give a it a few weeks and my trips to/from Blackburn will only be on a "needs must" basis - definitely one part of the driving job that I won't miss.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I am just wondering whether I should sharpen my late fathers walking stick tip or whether I can get away with carrying his fathers bayonet on my next excursion to Waitrose.  Maybe a spray can would be better should a miscreant space invader encroach again.  

The approach of todays miscreant was on the level with clear view ahead and a junction to my left that he should have been paying attention to.  In the opposite direction traffic approach up the hill and seem to do so at a fair lickety spit.

I have posted this before but perhaps new readers haven't seen it. Dad came home and was bathing his left hand. When asked what had happened he told Mum someone had driven onto the pavement to park and their door mirror had hit him. Mum asked if the mirror had hit his hand but that turned out to be the drivers jaw. He had wound the window down and mocked Dad saying "jump quicker in future Granddad." Dad said he suggested something similar but with "sonny" instead.
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Many many years ago while square bashing in the RAF we had to spend several days in tents in Sherwood Forrest in the ice and snow. We were supposed to shave in bowls of water outside that were barely above freezing. Me being sensible I'd brought my battery shaver as well as the safety razor we were required to bring. So each morning while still well inside the sleeping bag I quietly shaved using the battery razor, before going outside for a very quick pretend safety razor shave.

It's still blowing a hoolie out there, it was snowing and settling on the roads on the way back from the MRC. There appear to be no major floods, but up at Walcott about 5 miles away (think bungalows inches from the beach) they've lost power and there are some reports of damage. Unfortunately the evacuation centre, the lighthouse pub also lost power, so they are now in Stalham school.

Here's an odd point, most years we get a leaflet telling us where to go ( a school) if we are flooded out. Our house is 19ft above sea level, the evacuation centre is 14ft above sea level and we have to go through minus 3ft ASL to get there...

Some idiot jumped into the river at Great Yarmouth just before high tide, a few hundred yards from the sea and had to be rescued!!!

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

I nearly lost it completely in a meeting today. I was easily the oldest one there and can remember the first broadcast.

For various reasons it was suggested that for next years input we put in their welcome goodie bag a university branded microfibre towel.

As today I was wearing badge 42 those of a certain age and humour persuasion will appreciate why I nearly lost it.

Sounds like what you get if you multiply 6 x 9 (in base 13)! Or is it 00101010?

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Here's an odd point, most years we get a leaflet telling us where to go ( a school) if we are flooded out. Our house is 19ft above sea level, the evacuation centre is 14ft above sea level and we have to go through minus 3ft ASL to get there...

Some idiot jumped into the river at Great Yarmouth just before high tide, a few hundred yards from the sea and had to be rescued!!!

When we first moved to Benfleet there were lots of signs stating blue route, red route etc. These were flood evacuation routes for residents of Canvey Island to follow in the event of a flood like the 1953 floods. Each household was allocated a colour. The signs went when the sea defences were substantially improved.
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

As long as you didn't go to the meeting in a Ford Perfect,the Vogons won't get you...

I've got all five books in the trilogy somewhere.. Pity I can't type in red on this tablet but DON'T PANIC.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 13

As long as you didn't go to the meeting in a Ford Perfect,the Vogons won't get you...

I've got all five books in the trilogy somewhere.. Pity I can't type in red on this tablet but DON'T PANIC.

I would have said something about being a hoppy food but no-one would have understood.

• Like 9

We have now reached post-13478-0-24213400-1484351303.jpegpost-13478-0-05888400-1484351319.jpeg

Well actually the page has changed so we are in post-13478-0-41772400-1484351401.jpegpost-13478-0-47598700-1484351493.jpeg

I was very sorry to miss out on the Kolhapur page. I remember regularly cleaning that particular locomotive during my days volunteering in the shed on the G.C. I even had a couple of footplate rides on it.

Like many, we awoke to snow flurries this morning. Nothing like the amount others have had but it did make the drive to work a little tricky because much of my journey is on untreated roads. With the boss away and the caretaker missing it fell to me to grit the paths. Other staff seemed to be taking advantage of the hiss being away and a few were less than productive or supportive today. A few seemed to go missing for extended periods.

It looks like little break for me this weekend judging by the large crate of marking I brought home.

Enjoy your weekend.

Edited by andyram
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Friday the 13th was very kind to me today, POETS day being easily accomplished, followed by a week off and on top of all that, it's payday to boot, so not a bad day really.

Plenty of cockwombles on the road today, but the top prize of the day must go to the €~€¥|#* ejit in the black Range Rover who, I kid you not, was reversing along the hard shoulder to get back to the junction that he'd just missed!

With it being Friday we had the 3 youngest grandchildren and ounce for tea and as usual it was the very enjoyable but also mayhem. Once they had been taken home, it was time to relax with a bottle of red.

Beards, as I said previously I've had one on and off for years, always kept short though, it really gets on my nerves after about a months growth.

A very young BSW01 taken on my 21st, when I had more hair than I do now!

post-27337-0-26974100-1484352001_thumb.jpeg

Goodnight all

• Like 19