The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Just had a call from Matthew. He was planning to be in London before 6pm but trains from Reading have been cancelled or subject to delay due to track damage following an incident. Matthew seems to know which bus to catch from Paddington to Liverpool St and will walk to Fenchurch St.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone had a car where the differential completely failed?

I had a Ford Anglia which was a bit of a wreck, and one night (why do cars always have a serious breakdown at night) there was a dreadful racket at the back end, and then no traction at all - just a lot of noise from the engine and going nowhere - so I can join that club as the diff just stripped completely - no idea why or how, but that was the end of that one, as I didn't have the facilities to replace the unit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just had a call from Matthew. He was planning to be in London before 6pm but trains from Reading have been cancelled or subject to delay due to track damage following an incident. Matthew seems to know which bus to catch from Paddington to Liverpool St and will walk to Fenchurch St.

Tony

According to Teletext, it's a tad more serious, somebody hit by a train, I think at Ealing Broadway.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/155381.aspx

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

Would any of the free programs work? LibreCAD, as recommended on here, for instance?

P.S. Then you could use it for 3D printing for the other bits :)

I'd want to try something that an etcher can use, so presumably that means any software that can deal with, and save, *.dxf or *.dwg format.

• RMweb Gold

Bronte has been moved, but not removed. Francois drove his Manitou the 10 or so km down to my place, and scooped the poor girl off the paddock with the front bucket, placing her on the grass verge outside the gate. I have covered her with tarpaulins to avoid offending passers-by. I have the contact details for a deadstock firm that farmers use, so fingers crossed I can get a deal. Alison's ongoing affair with Francois can have substantial advantages to the rest of the anglais community!

I expect to be in Torbay from Wednesday for about a fortnight. Almost certainly Dorothy's funeral will not take place in that period. A lapsed Catholic, she had talked wistfully of having a suitable funeral. I have made it clear to Roger that I think the family should honour that wish as it suits them - and Roger's brother, her nephew Christopher, a priest, is just the chap to officiate. He is currently in Egypt, which may tell us that priests and penury are not always the same thing. 

Thanks again for all the kind thoughts.

....her nephew Christopher, a priest, is just the chap to officiate. He is currently in Egypt, which may tell us that priests and penury are not always the same thing. ....

Egypt's been a pretty dangerous place to be a Christian over the last few years.

I'd want to try something that an etcher can use, so presumably that means any software that can deal with, and save, *.dxf or *.dwg format.

LibreCAD uses the AutoCAD DXF file format internally for import and save files, as well as allowing export to many other file formats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreCAD

My God! Anyone watching School Swap on BBC2 right now? A Welsh GCSE maths exam paper was given to the pupils and all the Koreans found it way to easy. The teacher said it was more appropriate for younger pupils.

The school days are longer and after school lessons often go on until midnight.

But hey!

My God! Anyone watching School Swap on BBC2 right now? A Welsh GCSE maths exam paper was given to the pupils and all the Koreans found it way to easy. The teacher said it was more appropriate for younger pupils.

But hey!

That was on Radio 4 a few weeks ago. The paper was designed to last one hour; some of the South Korean pupils had completed it in 15 minutes.

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone had a car where the differential completely failed? I've had quite a few clunkers over the years but never had a diff go completely out (as in no drive to the wheels). However, it just happened to our son's 2002 Corolla. Mind you, between him and his sister they managed to put 200,000 miles on it so we can't complain too much.

Corolla is now on it's way the scrap yard.

Not the diff itself as such but I've had the diff unit casing break up and seizing up the diff. This was on an Allegro and resulted in the front wheels being locked solid. As if that wasn't bad enough it was in the morning rush hour just as I was traversing a busy road junction.

• RMweb Gold

That was on Radio 4 a few weeks ago. The paper was designed to last one hour; some of the South Korean pupils had completed it in 15 minutes.

Just out of interest does anyone know if it was the foundation or higher paper? Also from reading some articles they were selected questions from Welsh papers. So not quite the same really. I would be more interested in say comparisons with Finland. They have high attainment without the extreme hours of intense study common to some Asian countries.

Just out of interest does anyone know if it was the foundation or higher paper? .....

I was in the car at Staples Corner listening to the broadcast, and I'm sure it was the Higher, as giving the Koreans the Foundation would have been a complete waste of time.

Just out of interest does anyone know if it was the foundation or higher paper? Also from reading some articles they were selected questions from Welsh papers. So not quite the same really. I would be more interested in say comparisons with Finland. They have high attainment without the extreme hours of intense study common to some Asian countries.

It was more the fact that the UK lad said the exam was hard but all the Koreans said it was easy and the teacher said younger Koreans could have done it.

But hey!

It was more the fact that the UK lad said the exam was hard but all the Koreans said it was easy and the teacher said younger Koreans could have done it.

I think it's been known for some time about the high attainment in Oriental cultures, among others, compared with here. The positive, encouraging attitude of the parents is a significant factor, from which not all British students benefit.

But hey!

Speaks volumes!

That we had to drop from GCE to GCSE says lots too!

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I mentioned before that I am a 'mod' on a couple of Facebook groups (local history) and I was surprised when my nephew applied to join. Not because I didn't know he was on Facebook but that he has any interest in local history.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I did wonder what all the expertise of the 16 year old Korean mathematicians led to. Are they so gifted that they win Fields medals (like a maths Nobel Prize)? It would appear not. Korean schools are very much based on learning methods and recall. Also some of the countries in the worldwide PISA tests to compare international attainment cheated by only entering their brighter students not a range of students. Comparing vastly different educational systems is a silly exercise and just allows shallow politicians to score points. There is a lot that could be done to improve education in the UK but comparing Welsh GCSE Maths and Korean maths isn't one of them. What would the equivalent at A level be or first year university? Matthew has studied with a lot of Asian students at postgraduate level and by then the differences in attainment would appear to be reversed.This is a comment on their educational,system not the ability of the Asian students.

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Matthew got back to Benfleet. He got a bus from Paddington to Liverpool St and walked to Fenchurch St to read a sign saying all trains on the C2C lines were departing from Liverpool St today. I pointed out the error of travelling on a Sunday without a UK phone. His Irish phone deal has just ceased and he was relying on wifi this weekend. Not a good weekend. He asked a nice person on the Benfleet train if he could borrow their phone to ring home for a lift from the station.

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone had a car where the differential completely failed? I've had quite a few clunkers over the years but never had a diff go completely out (as in no drive to the wheels). However, it just happened to our son's 2002 Corolla. Mind you, between him and his sister they managed to put 200,000 miles on it so we can't complain too much.

Corolla is now on it's way the scrap yard.

I had that happen with a Land Rover (back in the days when they were a model, not a brand).  The main casting holding the various gears cracked.  The axle housing casting  was OK, but the bit of plate that covered the back of the diff was punctured.  Assuming that it was original, it would have been 20-25 years old at the time.  I got one out of a scrapper and put that in, and so far as I know it is still going (it has just had its 47 birthday).

Adrian

Adrian

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Watched Sherlock...if I can keep up with the plot it should be a good finale... Which I need to record ass cricket will now start next week due to building works..

Sleep well!

Rick, hope the shift isn't too problematic.

Baz

• Like 11