The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Counting down the days till we fly across the pond for good beer.

What, you need a plane to get to Carshalton?  Well there used to be good beer there when I lived in that neck of the woods, but since it was messed about with, then moved from Wandsworth to Bedford - UGH

• RMweb Gold

What, you need a plane to get to Carshalton?  Well there used to be good beer there when I lived in that neck of the woods, but since it was messed about with, then moved from Wandsworth to Bedford - UGH

A little bit bigger than that pond.

Yes Youngs beers aren't what they used to be since their brewery in Wandsworth closed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dom's observations about how some drivers react to other cars made me recall when I changed from an Astra GTE 16v to a Renault Scenic. Some people seemed quite desperate to overtake the Astra. People seemed less aggressive to the presence of the Scenic.

My Land Rover isn't mouldy or disguised in any way but it does sometimes surprise me that something of its size seems to be totally invisible to some other road users. I suppose I should start using Aditi's Fiesta occasionally now that she isn't driving for a while.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12

Yes of course Ian. I completely forgot about the route from East Croydon through Norwood Junction. I was thinking of Clapham from my days of using it to access Eurostar at LB.

IIRC we had one stop after EC or if not the driver stopped at a signal and asked for assistance but we were told to continue to LB as they would get an ambulance there on arrival.

Apologies for attempting to re-arrange the Southern rail network.

Now, I'm confused! When was the Eurostar accessible at LB?

Morning all from the Haut Limousin.  

Greetings from Haut Idaho where it's anything but hot. Not quite as bad as Ian's Mint-es-sota, but distinctly parquet.

It's sunny now so I must remember to take the camera when I walk the dogs.

Going for a root-canal on Monday then cardiologist on Tuesday. Deep joy, but nothing to complain about really. I've been fortunate to get this far with very few problems.

• RMweb Gold

Matthew missed the 10 pm bus to Cork airport last night and had to hang around in the bus station until midnight. He is now catching up on some sleep before accompanying us to the French Circle Christmas Dinner. He was in Montreal for the week after Christmas a few years ago and he can remember all the jolly greetings used there.

Tony

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well 'The Tavern' at Kemble was quite pleasant although under going redecoration, the food wasn't bad at all apart from some of the roast potatoes which would probably have done considerable damage to anything they hit if used as shrapnel but everything else was great and my poached pear sweet course was excellent.   It was agreed the same venue will be booked for next year as it is very handy for the station (a couple of minutes walk) which is a consideration for some of our ageing brethren.  One train out of the 7 I travelled was a few minutes late but otherwise all ran well including the four which were DOO(P) - two of which had Conductors onboard.

GWML electrification continues to provide visual amusement enroute; I know Rome wasn't built in a day but if this lot had been doing it it still wouldn't be finished.  Incidentally we were down to -8C a week or three back without, amazingly, any sort of dire warnings - I think we only get those when rain or wind is expected.

Enjoy the rest of your day

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

My Land Rover isn't mouldy or disguised in any way but it does sometimes surprise me that something of its size seems to be totally invisible to some other road users.

Tony

Not so much invisible but I think, they think, all Landrovers are farmer Giles series 1 going to be doing 20 mph. So when I come thundering up at the speed limit they are somewhat surprised when I arrive so quickly. As are those when I out accelerate some of them. ( Under the bonnet mine is not quite standard)
  • Like 11

If you want a car that other drivers seem to find invisible or they are desperate to get in front of try driving a motorhome. There are cockwombles who pull out at crossroads, cut you up at roundabouts, and make suicidal dashes across the road to get in front of you. As for being behind you when you reach a crossroad, they start blaring their horn for you to get out of the way. Hardly give me time to fold my map.

Stay safe all.

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

I had a very ordinaire Focus diesel estate for 9 years until recently - it seemed very neutral in terms of other road users behaviour towards it.  I bought a B-Max (a tall Fiesta) a few weeks ago, and everyone, but everyone, wants to tailgate it or overtake it.  I drive them at the same speed.  What gives?

Work still rather more busy than is comfortable, which is good, of course! Lot of trains getting bought for Christmas. 

Ian Type Rant>  I have had a few nice conversations with ladies buying trains for family members this week, who have been very grateful for good service and not having been patronised.  Two in particular had made the decision not to buy elsewhere (no names, it would be unprofessional) after having been badly patronised on the phone.  Why would you? Beats me. Both made substantial purchases, so a little politeness and helpfulness goes along way. \rant.

Also today was the sinking moment when I realised I have forgotten to send something to friends a long way away.  Too late, was the cry.

• Like 1

When Lorna's car got stuck in the snow on Sunday I thought I might extricate it by towing it with my truck. I found the tow thingy that screws into the port in the VW's front bumper, but it didn't fit! (My language deteriorated a bit at that point.) We then called AAA.

Today I Googled  "Jetta tow device wrong size" and discovered that it has a reverse thread :blackeye:

(The idea is to prevent a tow rope unscrewing it - but all you nautical types already knew that.)

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When Lorna's car got stuck in the snow on Sunday I thought I might extricate it by towing it with my truck. I found the tow thingy that screws into the port in the VW's front bumper, but it didn't fit! (My language deteriorated a bit at that point.) We then called AAA.

Today I Googled  "Jetta tow device wrong size" and discovered that it has a reverse thread :blackeye:

(The idea is to prevent a tow rope unscrewing it - buy all you nautical types already knew that.)

'fraid so - they all have left hand threads!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They certainly don't try to bully my 32 year old long wheel base landrover, I think they think they might catch something, it was painted red and has an overlay of green mold....

I had a couple of those. A 1986 110 V8 and then a 1985 110 diesel. Less gorilla-suit than the 1969 Series 2A that had preceded them, but still not a vehicle people chose to mess with. 

Today I have been simply driving my 10-y-o Nissan Note. All rippling 68 bhp of diesel. Round the back streets of la Ferte Bernard, to the judo club for the 7-y-o, and the old folks home (why? why?) for the 11-y-o's theatre class. Tough, but with Alison's Laguna in dock, friends need to be friends. Off to Blighty first thing tomorrow. 

• Like 7

'fraid so - they all have left hand threads!

I imagine they do! It probably makes that very clear in the manual, but I was in too much of a hurry to read it, and what if you used a reverse wound rope?

I once serviced a car (IIRC an Armstrong-Siddley) that had reverse threaded wheel nuts on one side. The idea was to make them "self-tightening", but I understand that, while it was an interesting idea, in practice it didn't make the slightest bit of difference.

• RMweb Premium

If you want a car that other drivers seem to find invisible or they are desperate to get in front of try driving a motorhome. There are cockwombles who pull out at crossroads, cut you up at roundabouts, and make suicidal dashes across the road to get in front of you. As for being behind you when you reach a crossroad, they start blaring their horn for you to get out of the way. Hardly give me time to fold my map.

Stay safe all.

Rather sounds like how too many motorists behave opposite our oh so tiny and hard to spot trams. Or they seem to have a longing for rather severe pain when they do get hit by us. Only downside after that is all the paperwork, I can tell you.

Apologies but one tends to adopt rather evil humour when confronted with such abysmal ineptitude every day...

Evening.

I had a very ordinaire Focus diesel estate for 9 years until recently - it seemed very neutral in terms of other road users behaviour towards it.  I bought a B-Max (a tall Fiesta) a few weeks ago, and everyone, but everyone, wants to tailgate it or overtake it.  I drive them at the same speed.  What gives?

You should have bought another Focus diesel estate. We are now on our third one, the first two both covered nearly 200,000 miles in just over seven years. Economical, good looking and loads of carrying space.

• Like 8