The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

W, hen I was at school. late 50's and the 60's there was no mention of Halloween certainly not in our household as we were chapel and such things as saints day were church things. The main event was mischief night on the 4th November. That was still going strong when I was the village bobby. That was the evening I always worked lates and made myself very popular with the local yoof by checking their pockets for eggs. For some reason the eggs always used to break inside their pockets. They must have had very thin shells in the early 80's.

Jamie

• Like 3

Here's an odd ball question, this is causing much debate on another forum I inhabit.

Did you have halloween parties/ functions or anything to do with it while you were at school?

Well I started school in 1962 and none of the 2 primary and 3 secondary schools I attended even mentioned it.

Over to you Please

Halloween was definitely celebrated in the west of Scotland when I was growing up there in the 1950s and 60s. AndyID, who grew up there about the same time, has described the sort of activities that went on - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/229-early-risers/?p=2483643 As I understand it, from historical sources (Oor Wullie and The Broons), it had been celebrated in much the same way for a long time.

It's generally considered to be a 'Christianisation' of the pagan Celtic festival of Samhain - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain .The traditions were taken to North America by Scottish and Irish emigrants and became established there. As I understand it, they then were brought back to England and first became known there around US military bases, being practised by American families.

(Edit - spelling)

Edited by pH

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

Halloween wasn't celebrated when I was at school, 1960 - 1972. The only time that I've ever celebrated it, was when we lived in Canada in 1967.

Well the workshop is a bit tidier than is was yesterday and I can even see my workbench, but I still haven't found the items that I was originally looking for, I must have another safe place somewhere!

Well my experiments seem to have worked and I've manage to make 2 lights, each with a different value resistor, so I can gauge the brightness of each, I'm hopeful to make a 3rd tomorrow. I've made them by soldering a resistor to the back of a LED (both are surface mounted type) and then attach fine wires to them. When I decide which one I'll use, I'll make up a few more. These will be attached to the ends on coaches and brake vans. Hopefully I'll be able to post photos of them illuminated tomorrow once I've painted them all.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

A First Aid kit? :)

My First Aid Kit won't fit in the car and costs a bit more than 6 pound note coins.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ambulance&biw=1455&bih=700&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj77J7mpojQAhUrLcAKHWeDCrsQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=london+ambulance&imgrc=Uuw2gdFCx05zYM%3A

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

Good evening all!

Yet another reminder of how bad the Southern attempt at running a train service was before the reduced schedule and strikes! Looking forward to Friday and Saturday - more strike days!

Have to agree about the 444s - for a service that runs to Soton Airport as well as the Soton (for passenger cruises), the baggage storage facilities are lamentable and the passenger doorways fill quickly with bags and bikes. There is some space under the seats for cabin-size bags, though.

Mal

The 377s are just as bad in my new neck of the woods!

Here's an odd ball question, this is causing much debate on another forum I inhabit.

Did you have halloween parties/ functions or anything to do with it while you were at school?

Well I started school in 1962 and none of the 2 primary and 3 secondary schools I attended even mentioned it.

Over to you Please

I don't have any recollection of Halloween anything until the late 90s, early naughties when it suddenly (IMHO) mushroomed!

All I can see is a points indicator showing route set for left "turn". Clear signal to move is not given as horizontal bars are showing. Even when you turn left, the amber pedestrian warning light at the far left corner may still be flashing.....

There is also the fixed warning of a crossing with a right-right passing option (double slip).

A good journey back from Devon. Suppliers of kits were raided on the way and it appears that someone raided my wallet at the same time. :scared:

I certainly don't remember anything about Halloween while I was at school

Bob - I'll have to bring my car round tomorrow. It's filthy inside and out after driving along proper country lanes for a few days. :jester:

Didn't happen by Arundel then?

• Like 3

BSW01:

"Never be afraid to try something different, remember amateurs built the Ark,
professionals built the Titanic"

but did the Ark ever exist?

"Don't take life to seriously, after all, it isn't permanent! "

Life's too short to be taken seriously!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

W, hen I was at school. late 50's and the 60's there was no mention of Halloween certainly not in our household as we were chapel and such things as saints day were church things. The main event was mischief night on the 4th November. That was still going strong when I was the village bobby. That was the evening I always worked lates and made myself very popular with the local yoof by checking their pockets for eggs. For some reason the eggs always used to break inside their pockets. They must have had very thin shells in the early 80's.

Jamie

We certainly learned about Halloween at school (early 50's/60's :O ) but apart from mutilating pumpkins in an attempt to make lanterns, which never worked anyway! there were no "celebrations" or anything that really took place on the night. That seems to have come about by the American trick or treat thing that has now migrated to Oz.

Mike

• Like 5

Good morning one and all

I should read Radio Times more carefully.  Yesterday I discovered that there is a new series of Round Britain Quiz and that I have missed the first one.  Hooray for BBC i-player.  One of the teams taking part is Wales, which includes former Mastermind and Millionaire David Edwards, an old friend.  I like quizzes on the radio and sometimes yell at it in frustration when I have the answer which seems to be eluding the contestants.  Yelling in frustration will not be an option on Monday of next week.  I have been collared for the Ashes quiz between RCTS Northampton and LCGB Bedford.  I am eligible to play for both sides but prefer Bedford.  The quizmaster has his way of doing things and does not always devote sufficient brainpower to checking the accuracy of the answers to his questions.  Now THAT is frustration.

By contrast, the talk that I attended last night was carefully and extensively researched and most informative.  I never knew the Kettering to Cambridge line but did watch one of the frail wooden trestle bridges which hastened its closure being demolished with the aid of fire to make way for part of what is now the A14.  Somewhere there is a little packet of photographs that my less than state of the art instamatic captured circa 1971.  Today's main task will be to write a report of the talk for the LCGB bulletin.

Later today I must remember how to make a kedgeree.  The notion of buying a lump of smoked haddock suddenly came to me towards the end of the fodder run yesterday.  It is years since I have made one and will be refreshingly different, I hope, from the more routine items in my culinary repertoire.  If it all goes mammaries up I have a can of beans.

There is much talk today of drivers using mobile phones while at the wheel.  Call me odd if you will but I turn mine on only when I need to use it and fail to understand the perceived need to be in constant touch with the outside world.  The burgeoning use of these wretched contraptions has led to much rudeness and discourtesy.  Some people seem to have them growing out of one ear and do not get me started on the constant peering at screens which afflicts so many these days.  

From the voice in the wilderness, good morning, with best wishes to the many who deserve them.

Chris

• Like 12

Morning All,

It is slightly warmer this morning, but still the sort of weather that one would expect at this time of year.

The sky is currently cloudless, but the forecast says changeable.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Does that mean that Alison and her two beaus are conspicuous by their absence?

Hat etc................

No. She has been high-maintenance, not least due to her cellphone contract switching Monday - and the new one hasn't kicked in. On visiting the shop to ask WTF, she was reminded it is a holiday - All-Saints. The beaus remain the subject of much discussion, and Sherry and I have a stake here. If she dumps Gerry then she can look after my place at Christmas, so I can enjoy that season with Sherry in Torbay. Otherwise Alison will be in the Vendée for Christmas and I will be here. Sherry dare not be away from home then, as the hospital will be contacting her about her hip replacement, due in January. If she fails to take up that offer, she goes to the back of the list, having defered a couple of times already, and that means waiting another year. Recent pain makes that a most unappetising prospect.

Yes, I'm sure you are glad you asked!

There is much talk today of drivers using mobile phones while at the wheel.  Call me odd if you will but I turn mine on only when I need to use it and fail to understand the perceived need to be in constant touch with the outside world.  The burgeoning use of these wretched contraptions has led to much rudeness and discourtesy.  Some people seem to have them growing out of one ear and do not get me started on the constant peering at screens which afflicts so many these days.  

Chris

The telephone is the rudest invention ever; it interrupts and demands attention, but is regarded worshipped by some as a deity!

BTW: Good morning all!

Only a half day today then it's use-my-leave-up time until Monday!! Sort of a POETT day rather than PIVOT, I suppose :jester:

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

ER time 02:300 but I did get another hours sleep later.

Another good run into work but a surprisingly large amount of cars out that normally means the Acle straight is blocked again (though they didn't mention it on the radio)

Very chilly this morning with the wind getting stronger and from the north.

I have a mobile pone but I've only used it maybe a dozen times in my life. I only use it for emergencies and the 6 monthly keep alive call.

When I was a maintenance man for Tescos they issued mobile phones so we could be contacted but mobiles didn't work in our store as it was down in an old quarry. They also insisted we kept our phones on for an hour after work so we could be called back. But on my run home for most of they way home and at home it still didn't work. Even today to get a call you have to stand upstairs in our bathroom  by the window to get a connection.

I only ever received one call on it when I was in town getting bit for a repair, I stopped the van and answered the call and was some idiot trying to sell me a new contract.... 

Horning on the Norfolk broads was renown amongst the holiday makers as a black hole of no mobile coverage, so last year they put 3 repeaters in the village, one of which is on the roof of my sailing club. hence you now find the kids on their phones between races...