The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A bit grey and overcast but this is minor compared to other matters.

Hope everyone has a good day today.

Dr Eldest Herbert is trying to become part of a post referendum brain drain by applying for posts at Canadian universities. A bit concerning to her indoors and myself as he studied politics.

AndyB hope you hear positive news on the interview front.

Dave, hope today goes the right way for Is.

See you all later

Baz

PS no news from Collie Towers recently.....

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,.

There is some blue sky and sunshine at the moment but there may be some scattered thundery showers. Then again there may not.

I will probably be absent for a couple of days as we're going away and I will only have my not so smart phone with me which is OK for phone calls but I find a pain to use for interwebby things.

Have a good couple,
Bob.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone.

Dry here, cloudy but the blue is trying to show through, we'll see how that goes as the day progresses.

Millom and Barrow are definitely my work locations for today, I thought that I might as well get the worst over on my first day back. With what is essentially a 2 hour compute on the cards, I'd best make a start.

Back later.

Morning all from the boring borough. Not a heck of a lot happening but just checking in anyway. Sunny so far and mild. Still only feels like March out there.

Work has been a major lesson in frustration this week. I feel I deserve a degree in Murphyism.

While trying to stay as apolitical as possible here is my take on the referendum: either way we are f**ked. Like Baz's Herbert, I can use Canada as an escape pod. In my case that just means downloading my passport renewal form. Seriously though its a no win situation. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Interesting that Baz is referring to post referendum brain drain. From 75-79 there was a large number of professionals that moved to Canada from the UK. At one point nearly 10% of my school (very white anglo saxon neighbourhood) were recent ex-pats.

Best wishes for Is this morning.

Father's day lost its meaning for me 33 years ago. I've never really liked being on the receiving end. This year on Sunday morning I get to schlep to Gatwick at stupid o clock to pick up the offspring after 2 weeks with his Mother. He let slip that he was going to Trains & Such. Maybe I won't get socks this year.

Have a good one all. Enjoy your day.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Very pleasant morning, rain forecast later.

Barry, Matthew studied for a year in Canada. Aditi would be thrilled if he went to work there. Matthew doesn't see a future for himself in the UK.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, and it's a sunny one.

Early doors drop off for my eldest who was on a school trip intended to inspire. A handful of children being whisked off to the city of perspiring dreams dreaming spires, leaving their parents wondering how much the tuition fees are these days if inspiration turns to aspiration. Yoinks.  

Not sure what Pete would make of this court case but it does seem to me that waiting the best part of 30 years to initiate a claim looks a bit like picking on a successful artist due to their success. Would they have sued if Stairway had sold just 5 copies?  By way of coincidence the song was written just a handful of miles away from here.  

Baz, should here in the next day or so about whether I made the short list. I suspect not but in my book if you don't put yourself forward you live to regret it, especially when you see someone get the job who may have had less talent but more front. 

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from the boring borough. Not a heck of a lot happening but just checking in anyway. Sunny so far and mild. Still only feels like March out there.

Work has been a major lesson in frustration this week. I feel I deserve a degree in Murphyism.

While trying to stay as apolitical as possible here is my take on the referendum: either way we are f**ked. Like Baz's Herbert, I can use Canada as an escape pod. In my case that just means downloading my passport renewal form. Seriously though its a no win situation. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Interesting that Baz is referring to post referendum brain drain. From 75-79 there was a large number of professionals that moved to Canada from the UK. At one point nearly 10% of my school (very white anglo saxon neighbourhood) were recent ex-pats.

Best wishes for Is this morning.

Father's day lost its meaning for me 33 years ago. I've never really liked being on the receiving end. This year on Sunday morning I get to schlep to Gatwick at stupid o clock to pick up the offspring after 2 weeks with his Mother. He let slip that he was going to Trains & Such. Maybe I won't get socks this year.

Have a good one all. Enjoy your day.

You need a beer!

We need to have a beer together soon but cant do this week as loading the layout tonight and tomorrow after work we are off to the GCR do. Staying in Kegworth so will b e paying a few visits to the Red Lion. Its as good as it was when you stayed there a few years back.

Will be interested in what he has bought railway wise!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

The Good Lady returned safely from her US tour this morning though not without as many frustrations as she suffered outbound.  Late flight, a potentially missed connection which then turned out to be an even later flight using the same aircraft!  She also managed to be seated next to a snuffling youngster for 14 hours between LAX and MEL and has brought an American cold home with her.  By all accounts the business and pleasure sides of the trip were both hugely successful.

The sun has graced us again with its presence though not with much warmth.  Dampness is forecast for several days ahead though not in significant quantities.  

Today was Men's Health Awareness Day at the Palace and full credit to the employer for supporting such a thing and for rostering as many female staff as possible in order to release as many male staff as possible to attend a special lunch with talks given by numerous of our number.  Being a survivor of one uniquely male nasty I had been asked if I was willing to share the story and did so quite comfortably.  Borrowing a little from a US Presidential speech I introduced the topic by saying that I chose to speak not because it is easy but because it is difficult to discuss.  The response to a five-minute personal account was resounding applause and handshakes all round.  A good result, I think.  And one which may sometime prove beneficial; if one person at some time benefits from it and acts when something seems wrong then it was more than worthwhile.

Special thoughts with Dave and Is.

Best wishes to all.

• Like 8

Not sure what Pete would make of this court case

but it does seem to me that waiting the best part of 30 years to initiate a claim looks a bit like picking on

a successful artist due to their success. Would they have sued if Stairway had sold just 5 copies?  

By way of coincidence the song was written just a handful of miles away from here.

It's the estate of the supposed aggrieved party that have a dose of the greedies. The chap himself never made a

fuss and died about 20 years ago. Unfortunately Zep have previous form, which may stack the deck.

Sounded like a nice day at Scarborough yesterday, the gulls were certainly in fine voice as I listened to Radio Leeds (that will upset a few locals here, who perceive that town to be the root of all evil) and Yorkshire's first white ball win this season I believe. Lyth hit a great century, then despite trying their best to throw it away, we won by two wickets.

Thanks to Pete for the Otis Rush. Much enjoyed.

Dull and threatening rain here again this morning, Not much on the agenda. I will no doubt find (or more likely, be found) something to do before long.

Dave, hope things go well for Is.

Thoughts to all ailing, recovering or missing.

Edited by HeeleyBridge
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Bournemouth.   Had a good day yesterday with a ride out with the boss in the morning then a longer ride on my own in the afternoon followed by a very good meal with BiL and wife.   They've now departed and we are apparently due to go out for another bike ride shortly.  A possible trip to Lulworth is on the cards. 

When I cycled past the cliff lift yesterday I stopped and chatted to some engineers working on the cliff fall.   Apparently though the track of the lift is distorted at the lower end the cars survived without damage.  It appears that they were parked in the centre of the incline and were hauled to the top and lifted off after the fall.   It also emerged that they still have no idea what the long term plan for restoration is.  Boreholes and sampling are in progress and the loose fallen sand is being cleared.

Part of my ride yesterday, the ferry from Mudeford to Hengistbury  with 'the spit' in the background.

post-6824-0-60528700-1465977845_thumb.jpg

Then on to the cliff lift.  Tis is the lift with the buckled rails and damage visible.

post-6824-0-57149100-1465977847_thumb.jpg

The area that the fall came from, now mainly cleared.

post-6824-0-60260900-1465977849_thumb.jpg

The long reach excavator that's done most of the clearing sitting on the pile of sand.

post-6824-0-54645500-1465977851_thumb.jpg

To the left of the track the vegetation was being cleared from the retaining walls by abseilers.

post-6824-0-59330400-1465977853_thumb.jpg

Dave, I do hope that things are resolved shortly and that Is gets the stents fitted.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited to add photos.

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14

roundhouse, on 15 Jun 2016 - 08:24, said:

You need a beer!

We need to have a beer together soon but cant do this week as loading the layout tonight and tomorrow after work we are off to the GCR do. Staying in Kegworth so will b e paying a few visits to the Red Lion. Its as good as it was when you stayed there a few years back.

Will be interested in what he has bought railway wise!

I need a pint of absinthe. Yes we do need a beer or 12. Like you, this week is shot. Next week is a maybe depending on work. They've been trying to keep us away from the client's hellquarters as spending time there is basically unproductive. One day when we both have a Saturday we need to hit the beer mile. Maybe drag that Warbonnet chappie with us.

We're off to Brussels again on the 2nd for 4 days. 5 years ago I did 50 beers for 50 years in Brussels. Watch this space. :drink_mini:

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I need a pint of absinthe. Yes we do need a beer or 12. Like you, this week is shot. Next week is a maybe depending on work. They've been trying to keep us away from the client's hellquarters as spending time there is basically unproductive. One day when we both have a Saturday we need to hit the beer mile. Maybe drag that Warbonnet chappie with us.

We're off to Brussels again on the 2nd for 4 days. 5 years ago I did 50 beers for 50 years in Brussels. Watch this space. :drink_mini:

We are back in your homeland on the 2nd!!

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. We, too, did get a bit of a thunderboomer yesterday which brought a rather fierce downburst, but I understand there was no major damage anywhere. I did rather feel like commanding a ship than driving a tram for a while with the bow wave I pushed ahead!

I understand Frankfurt was not as lucky. See this photo series which I suppose will be comprehensible for non-speakers of German, too: http://www.fnp.de/lokales/frankfurt/Land-unter-in-Frankfurt;art675,2058761,C::Starkregen-flutet-Offenbach-und-Sachsenhausen;cme65117,1506859

Have a good one, and best wishes to those of us in need…

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. We, too, did get a bit of a thunderboomer yesterday which brought a rather fierce downburst, but I understand there was no major damage anywhere. I did rather feel like commanding a ship than driving a tram for a while with the bow wave I pushed ahead!

I understand Frankfurt was not as lucky. See this photo series which I suppose will be comprehensible for non-speakers of German, too: http://www.fnp.de/lokales/frankfurt/Land-unter-in-Frankfurt;art675,2058761,C::Starkregen-flutet-Offenbach-und-Sachsenhausen;cme65117,1506859

Have a good one, and best wishes to those of us in need…

Dom that looks a bit wet!

Dr Eldest Herbert has suggested that if he gets a post overseas we could help him move by funding his travel and moving costs. Nothing like forward planning then.

AndyB - I know what you mean. It happens a lot in cricket. It is one of the reasons I left my last employer. Got fed up with gobsh1tes being in charge.

Baz

• Like 1

Barry O, on 15 Jun 2016 - 09:58, said:

Dom that looks a bit wet!

Dr Eldest Herbert has suggested that if he gets a post overseas we could help him move by funding his travel and moving costs. Nothing like forward planning then.

Baz

Offer to pay for the porta potty and air holes in the sea container you will use to ship him over in. :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I mentioned a few days ago about the pothole in my street being repaired. Now there is evidence of another one about to open up next to it. When I spoke to the foreman of the road repair gang I pointed out to him that the piece of road in question was pitted and worn, he agreed with me but told me the ECC would only repair roads when the potholes were of a certain size. The speed at which the new pothole is opening up is increasing, largely due to the increased traffic speed when people realise that they no longer have to slow for the original pothole. The cockwombles don't seem to realise that money can be saved by a 'stitch in time' rather than wait until the road is almost impassable. Thats my rant for today, be back later.

• Like 1

Morning all. A grey start to the day again. As long as we don't have a storm like yesterday with hail, I'm not too bothered.

A swim, breakfast and coffee have already happened. Another coffee and a quick check on other threads before a walk and then some modelling.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Phil's pothole experience sounds much like the local council round here where the cure for potholes is to paint the edge white and leave them for a few months until the contractor chucks in a load of blacktop 9which is worn away in a few more months.  Mind you that's no doubt good for the Chief Exec's salary.

Somewhat cloudy here and rain promised for later and absolutely inevitable as the window cleaners have just started work.  As we think it's wrinklies half price day we might venture out later to have a toenail session in one of the local nailbars - got to give them some support as we now have a total of six competing for business - you can't buy all sorts of things in this town that you used to be able to buy but you can get your nails done several times over; strange old world.

Have a good day one & all

• Like 13

I like Pagey  and Jones but not really a fan ever of Led Zep in toto (Not Toto).

I don’t blame them but their people.  

With the exception of “Strange Brew” which was “Lawdy Mama” with new words (insisted on by the Ertegun Bros) Clapton and Bruce always got the right people credited on Cream’s recordings. If you look through their songwriting credits you will find lots of King, Rush, Dixon, Johnson, James, etc.

31C as a high today and Sunny = Seasonable, tomorrow it’ll be 23C and showery.

Best, Pete.

• Like 3