The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Peel or not peel the cucumber?

As New Haven Neil will tell you Peel is on the Isle of Man and nothing to do with cucumbers ;)

Skin off.  Both.  :P

• Like 2

Afternoon all. I would have posted this morning but a swim in a slightly rougher sea followed by breakfast and then a walk before the rain started seemed like a good idea.

Gordon - Great to see you back.

Thinking Dave, Is, Gordon and also of others ailing, supporting, recovering and missing

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Indeed Rick, Peel is MY place of attendance!  I'm not a great fan of Peel, although as John lives there I have to be careful!  The front and harbour are OK though.  As for cucumber - do folk actually eat that stuff?  Worse than kippers for 'coming back' !

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

As usual, caught up.  Good to have Gordon back with us, though sadly not under the best of circumstances.  Dave, I do hope that things are settling a bit now family-wise, and that you are able to get Is home soon to the comfort of her home, and with the care package in place. 

Generic greetings to all.

Oven is still not clean - perhaps we should clean it more often than every year!

Back tomorrow but maybe later as car is due in at Kendal for the radio to be worked on.

Regards to All

Stewart

Indeed Rick, Peel is MY place of attendance!  I'm not a great fan of Peel, although as John lives there I have to be careful!  The front and harbour are OK though.  As for cucumber - do folk actually eat that stuff?  Worse than kippers for 'coming back' !

Some years ago now, my work colleagues and I got into a debate about kippers. I shocked the discussion by announcing kippers could be purchased from Peel and arrive in the post. An order was made and a couple of days later four pairs arrived.

We had quite a canteen across the corridor from our office and the following day at our morning break, the kippers went into the microwave. The days delay was for the acquisition of a small loaf of brown bread, very necessary to combat the small bones!

It was agreed that the kippers were very nice, very nice indeed but it was also agreed that we would not so dine again as the smell had travelled far and wide and complaints had been made.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ah, that is a downside.  We do them on the BBQ outside, or alternatively from the breakwater kiosk in Peel!  In fact, you can have them in the smokehouse yard, at the inner end of the harbour.  Just don't forget to have something very sweet afterwards, or you will be burping kippers for a day!  Jam sarnies are ideal.  A Manx delicacy is in fact to put orange or lime marmalade on the kippers - combining the two works apparently.

In the meantime, I note by the amount of Lamborghinis seen on the road today that the kipper fishermen have had a bounty TT week, and have been spending their monies.  I thought they liked Ferraris, but they seem to have moved on.

Edit for errant bakers apostrophe.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

That is stage 1 estimating your desired baseline.

Stage 2 to come (it is bedtime now)

Here is stage two I have noted some very useful input from Mike and Andrew

Stage 2 is assessing your possible income.

Pensions and Annuities are based on the same idea for a sum paid in you are awarded a regular payment based on the average life expectancy. It has the advantage that you will no run out of money however long you live. The downside is you won't get as much back if you die sooner.

Pension and annuities can be a fixed amount, increased at a set rate yearly or increased in line with an inflationary scale such as RPI or CPI.

Naturally those which rise give less back less to start with. A glance at annuity tables will show the differences.  A pension scheme may offer an increased pension now if you forgo the increases.

When comparing a flat pension with an index linked one there are two key points to try an estimate. The first is the crossover point when the index linked one catches up and then overtakes the flat one. The second which is later is the break even point when the total amount paid out by the index linked one starts to exceed that paid out by the flat one. Obviously the break even point is usually close to the expected life expectancy.

If you think you will die sooner go for the flat one if you expect to live to a ripe old age go for the index linked. So do you feel lucky?

Actually there is more to it than that you may feel more money now while you are fit enough to enjoy it would be good or do you worry that you may need more to afford to employ a gardener or handymen when you can no longer do it yourself may be best.

As you can see it can be a real problem to decide.

I think the levelled pension involves more pre state pension age and less after so the total pension is similar. Handy if you have ill health and you want to retire early. The other options are to either live frugally till the state pension kicks in or use some savings possibly the lump sum to augment your pension. If you have recently replaced the car washing machine carpets etc. you may feel your can avoid major expenditure for the next few years and a bigger pension would be handy when there things start to need replacing.

You may find the scheme you are in or have a reserved pension was 'contracted out'  this has two effects one is the is a 'minimum pension guarrantee which the government insists on. For me it meant slightly higher increases until I got my state pension which now covers the Guarranteed minimum pension. The other effect is you make get a reduced pension under the new state pension scheme as it deemed the contacted out period meant you didn't pay in as much.

Sadly you cannot make much money from savings these days they barely keep up with inflation so £20k in the bank for your replacement car will probably need all the interest it earns and may be more to get the same sort of car in 5 yedifars.

One thing I would do is estimate the position you would be in if you retired now and if you retired at state pension age (66?) you may find the  difference is less than you may expect and both leave you less well off than now. It could be worth adjusting to a more ecconomic lifestyle now rather than in say 5 years if it means more time together, seeing grandchildren grow up or just less stress.

Rather than going on it make be easier if you have any questions.

Don

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Johnnie Walker on the radio played 'I feel Love' Donna Summer. When one is up a ladder wielding an SDS drill hearing music which grabs your body to snake to the rhythm may not be the best idea. I always feel that track would make a great background to one of those mallets dragging a long train up a curving track into the Rockies.

Stairs removed a 3.3m Catnic box lintel to go in next.

Don

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone.

Well that's one down, two to go.

The weather started of sunny, but went very dark mid afternoon, but the rain held off. It was very warm, 24C and the water was quite warm too at 20C. However, when the time came for me to take to the water, the clouds had gone, the sun was out, but the wind had picked up a bit causing a slight swell, consequently I ended up getting several mouthfuls of water, which caused me to have a few coughing fits. When I finally crossed the finish line I just missed out on my PB, (which is 48:54) with a time of 00:49:16 which I'm very pleased with, especially considering there were over 260 of us who started together and it was a bit like a scrum at times.

Altogether, over the 3 days there have been over 8,000 swimmers taking part. After that we had a light lunch, as I didn't feel up to walking, we went for a leisurely drive around Skelwith Bridge, Grasmere, Ambleside, Bowness and Windermere.

I bit of eyelid inspection before we eat I think.

Oh, by the way, that friend I told you about yesterday, (swimming 10k on Friday) competed again today in the 1 mile swim, finishing in 22:23.

• Like 19

Just don't forget to have something very sweet afterwards, or you will be burping kippers for a day!  Jam sarnies are ideal.  A Manx delicacy is in fact to put orange or lime marmalade on the kippers - combining the two works apparently.

Thanks for this info Neil.

I have just told my wife that in future when I eat Tapas at the local, which involves whitebait and squid, I need to have a dessert afterwards.

• RMweb Premium

Back for a sneaky quick check back as 30747 is doing a touch of work from home catching up on the observations and assessments of her key children - I never knew that there was so much paperwork in pre-school with 2/3 year olds.  And on TV Columbo is again trying to outwit Patrick McGoohan.

Oven will do, and I'll have another crack next month, I think.

Yet another task which came my way today was that the bathroom baisin decided to run slow then almost to a trickle down the drain.  Luckily a bottle of drain cleaner was to hand, and it went down there first thing, and was flushed away after lunch.  However, the resulting gunge released went downstairs to the gully, which in turn needed to be cleaned out.  Oh such fun, and we also discovered that the downstairs loo was filling slowly, and had to call out our builder to have a look, and it seems that the inlet valve is cream crackered.  I'll leave that one to him.

Brian - well done on completing the swim.  Onwards and upwards to Salford and Loch Lomond (I'm pretty sure that the latter will be a tad colder than Windermere was today - I've never felt it warm).

Edited for typos

Edited by 45156
  • Like 7

But just as importantly which way do you slice it - laterally or across?

Neither. I turn them into a continuous helix on my lathe. 20 TPI is just about right for me but sometimes I drop down to 32 TPI for Lorna's bridge ladies.

• RMweb Premium

Early start to get to Aston Hall CC for a 10 am start. The T20 ended up as a T15 due to a wet outfield. Started at 10:30 - Aston Hall scored 54 off 15 - theses were knocked off in 6 overs. Then ... it rained.... so second match became a bowl out (Sheffield & rotherham Phoenix Utd losing to Doncaster by 1 to 2) then the final Sheffield Collegiate winning the bowl out on sudden death ...lummy my heart can't take much more of that again!

Took me nearly 2 hours to get back as the roads in Leeds were chaos due to the International Triathlon today. Great signs saying road closure but no diversion sign posted - hence the chaos!

Awaiting tea.  Roast Pork ..smells delicious but her indoors says it will be another twenty minutes or so...

• Like 16