The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

He is not really coping with the idea of full time retirement. He does have hobbies but as they seem to be paranormal phenomena investigations and conspiracy theory research I am not sure they are conducive to calmness (well at least not in his case) .

Get him going on this: 

Best, Pete.

• Like 10

Looks like I had at least 1,000 miles of honey on this morning's porridge. Yes, porridge at the end of May because it's cold, windy and wet here - well, it is a bank holiday weekend...

Checking in with Brian's post above (#122268), I was well cheesed-off with my manager when I took early retirement when he said that he wished he'd promoted me because I could do a good job. And I took early retirement because I wasn't getting promotion... because my manager wanted me doing the job I was doing. So less pay (which equals less pension). Thanks, pal!

As others have said, look after yourself as well as Is, Dave. Thoughts with you.

Hope everyone has a good day and that your bank holiday weather is better than here.

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon all,

Managed to take The Boss to Sainsbury's earlier but it was a struggle as my back is still causing me grief. I was wondering if I could borrow some of whatever it is you're taking with your honey Andy as Tramadol and Ibuprofen are not helping much.

The good thing is I have been excused all other domestic duties for now.

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1

Roundhouse, the strike extended this morning to include other industries from today.

We contacted Eurostar regarding our travel home next Tuesday and at present they cannot advise of their responsibilites of refunds, changing tickets etc

Oh, nice. Seems there is a substantial chance of foul weather this weekend, including thunder and hail. If that materialises, it might make driving interesting!

Job had comforters like you Dom! :yes: :yes:

Regards,

Dave

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

' Afternoon all from red dragon land.

I'm currently catching up while I wait for my railway boots to arrive  - within the hour.

They have good reviews so they had better be good...  :yes: 

Back later....

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon everyone.

Seeing as it's the Friday afternoon before a bank holiday weekend, and there ain't nobody here but us chickens me, I've made my plans to escape. :onthequiet:.

Very soon, Brian will have left the building, and will be heading back south on the M61.        :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

We've also got our 3 youngest grandchildren, (who we haven't seen for a few weeks) coming round for tea tonight, and I did promise :angel: that I would get some of my sound fitted engines out so that Max can see and hear them, and HE WON'T have forgotten, so as a result I will be able to play trains after tea.   

Back later

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Dave, your fortitude and approach to Is's illness are moving and humbling, and I take my hat off to you - however, we are all here as a sounding board should you need us,as you know.  I can think of no better place to share your thoughts than here, and our support goes without saying.   Please keep us posted as to how she's doing.  Many of uis here are already offering prayers and thoughts, and I am among them.

Dom, hope the promised weather does not materialise, but if it does, it should prove no obstacle to a driver of your calibre.  Have the trams got any form of traction control or wheelslip prevention?

John - pleased that FIL appears to be on the mend.

Lots of other posts and all noted, read, and rated - so it's generic greetings to all else.

Today has been a bit of a disappointment, as 30747 has again had to work, and that means an early start for both of us, as Lily needs to be walked, breakfast done, lunch sandwiches to be prepared, then a start to the matters domestic.  When she got home, we were going to visit Levens Hall, a local historic house, to use up the last couple of days of our HHA membership, and I got the guide out to check the opening times to find that it is closed on Fridays.  So instead, a fight with the strimmer, which has decided not to feed properly, and needs to be opened up and the line refed (awkward) about every five minutes. 

Dinner now calls, so I'll try to get back later.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

Late posting and no real excuse, save trying to get some work done and getting ready to go to the cabin for the weekend.

It's a three day weekend here as we celebrate Memorial Day, so Monday is a public holiday.

In traditional UK style (not that usual here!!) it's raining NOW and expected to rain most of today and tomorrow, the best days of the weekend expected to be Sunday and Monday.

We're only going to be at the cabin through Sunday late afternoon as 1) Jemma works Monday morning, and 2) We agreed (a lot of my persuading) that some time at home would be nice - i.e. modeling :)

Will definitely POE today - will meet my quota for the hours allowed on "The Madness" with a scant 3 worked today, and we also want to get going to the cabin before the crowds descend on the roads, fat chance really as EVERYONE has the same plan on holiday weekends here as everywhere I'm sure!

Won't get much chance to post later today through Sunday with no wifi, but may try from the phone as I do at least attempt to read the posts...

As stated, raining here, overcast and 19, rain all day and maybe a high of 23 if we're lucky.

Enjoy the extended weekend all those that can.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Roundhouse, the strike extended this morning to include other industries from today.

We contacted Eurostar regarding our travel home next Tuesday and at present they cannot advise of their responsibilites of refunds, changing tickets etc

Cheers. Will just have to wait and see. Currently at St Pancras waiting for check in to open. Hopefully can get a train to Centraal drop bags then Delirium or similar

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We finally got out to Waitrose, collected the online shopping and did some food shopping. Even on a Friday afternoon before a Bank Holiday weekend that particular branch of of Waitrose is quite calm.

While waiting for her parcels, Aditi sent me off to get a card for a first birthday and some wrapping paper. I came back with drain cleaner. I pointed out we needed drain cleaner, they didn't sell wrapping paper and I didn't like any of the birthday cards.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Ian ( Roundhouse) and Ray (Long Island Jack) - I was going to say that I really shouldn't encourage you ( but then neither of you needs encouragement ) - Have you come across these - found on Farcebook   Beers from around the world http://www.beerhawk.co.uk/

Yes seen that site befor. However if you saw how many full bottles we have home and are out of date as we don't normally drink at home but still get tempted by interesting bottles which are handy for weekends when working on the layouts. I don't often do straight track!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian ( Roundhouse) and Ray (Long Island Jack) - I was going to say that I really shouldn't encourage you ( but then neither of you needs encouragement ) - Have you come across these - found on Farcebook Beers in UK from around the world http://www.beerhawk.co.uk/

Beerhawk around holiday times often have special offers like free delivery or reduced price rapid delivery. Our local Tesco Extra used to have an interesting beer selection. It doesn't now so I just use Beerhawk.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Day has duly vanished having first been chased off to Tesco on a shopping trip, via Jewsons for some paint charts, then breakfast (mushrooms on toast) then instructed to provide transport to the garden centre, then lunch, then delving out some info for a letter to the local 'paper as the row develops about increasing the frequency of trains on the branch - so finally got here.  

Trusting Mr&Mrs RJH enjoy the comfier bit of Eurostar - seats are better than the steerage area, the food isn't as good as it used to be but the drink still flows at a  reasonable rate although i doubt you could do what a colleague and I once did when we drank them out of several beverages between London and Brussels.  If you're light for luggage you can easily walk from Midi/Zuid to Centraal but nowadays my spies advise against it after dark, definitely the bit near Midi station but it should be perfectly ok once you're on Avenue de Stalingrad.

Have a good evening one & all

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Now in Oldddudders land.

Yes it's a light cold meal but as we only paid a little extra it's not bad. We are not Wi e drinkers so stuck to orange juice etc. Did have three bread rolls though!!

Should keep me stodged up for a few beers tonight.

Hoping that we can find a train running to Centraal but walking hasn't been ruled out.

Update.

It was persisting down so walking out but managed to find a train heading to Centraal and now in Delirium. Next is the cafe above then the Hoppy loft above that bar.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6

We are preparing for an extended stay in the land of the Belgae.

This is getting to be a feature with us. In 2009 we had to spend 4 more days in Havana when my wife was not allowed to fly. It was absolutely terrible. 4 more days end evenings having to eat and drink great food and cocktails.

Now it appears we will be locked in a country full of beer and chocolate for more then the planned itinerary. Last night we were locked in the Delirium Cafe whilst we had a last drink and the regulars played knocking 6 inch nails into an ex tree trunk. It was amazing watching how many missed the nail. One guy missed it on 4 consecutive occasions. No apparent reason for the game as no one collected a big drinks order for losing.

Tomorrow is watching grandkids at judo and football and then a family meal. Sunday is the quite large 1st church day for one grandson followed by a meal and unfortunately, beer and wine.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

My escape plan was a complete success and I arrived home just as SWMBO was making a cuppa, nicely timed I thought to myself. It was a good trip home, no holiday traffic encountered, a slight queue where the M61 meets the M60, but that's quite normal. The sun also started to shine as I got nearer to home, I think they might be good omens for the weekend.

Tea with the grandchildren was its usual eventful self, think chimps tea party and you'll be very close. They'd all asked if they could watch an episode of Dr Who, not that we mind though. But, as they couldn't all agree on which one I chose for them, they enjoyed it. Once finished they were then taken home, after which we did a quick trip to M&S for a mini fodder run.

It's time for a drink now, and as I've had a bottle of rosé in the fridge since Tuesday evening it's now time to open it!

Back later.

Enjoy the rest of the evening.

• Like 16