The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone. Smoked Salmon omelette has now been consumed, tea has been drunk so off to Sainsbury's for the Grand Prix shortly, oh the joy. However, it's got to be done if we want to have breakfast tomorrow morning.

On the subject of pets, we had a couple of pedigree Rag-doll Cats a few years back. They were brothers and both ended up suffering from the same condition, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. A condition to which they both eventually succumbed. If we hadn't had pet insurance we'd have had to take a second mortgage to cover the cost of their treatment. One bill alone was over £2,000.00.

Back later.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Lots of rain here today so on checking the webcam and finding no queue I went to the dump recycling centre and got rid of my rubbish and was there and back in under 30 minutes. Got rather wet but it was worth it.

Just seen on the TV news that Flying Scotsman's whereabouts is to be kept secret because of the crowds and danger of trespass etc. Good luck with that one.  :derisive:  :sarcastic:

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday, Don.

Simon, I shan't ask any further!  I've signed it too.

Busy at work today, we had the Peco rep over all day, very interesting discussions.  I have nothing further to say.  What a tease!

• Like 17

Nice day here today, sunny and warm.

Had no idea that Tesla had a showroom in Multrees Walk, will have to stroll by. Someone has a Ferrari near here but has to drive very slowly over the speed bumps because it's so low-slung.

Good to see that steam trains are back on the Mallaig route, starting the summer season this week. There were some fears that it may not have been sanctioned - It's run by WCR.

Happy birthday, Don. Have a good holiday, Dom. Hope your trip to the UK goes well, Rick.

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 14

Evening all and Happy Birthday Don. I hope you have had an enjoyable day.

Mike - I have heard about the latest SATs paper leak, and also saw a leaked question via a newspaper app. Proof once again that this government have messed things up.

Today in Derby has been wet from start to finish. The children were like caged animals by the end of the day having had to stay in during both breaktimes and lunch time. It certainly did not help the student who had her tutor in to observe. All seemed to go well though. I was impressed that, unlike most students in this situation, she did not seem nervous.

Last night I did manage a small amount of modelling, redesigning the track plan (again) on my current project layout. Hopefully things will begin to progress now.

• RMweb Gold

I have been removing glassware and ornaments from cupboards, cleaning the glass shelves, and then replacing the items Aditi has cleaned. She said this is not to do do with my cousin's visit this coming weekend!

I suspect Robbie will have to be especially tidy for the visitors too!

My cousin, Sharon, is really nice and it was somewhat annoying that my mother discouraged us from meeting. However since Mum's funeral we have done our best to make up for all those lost years. Mum didn't really encourage my brother and me to be close either, so that has been something else to make up for as well.

I had a courier delivery today but no trains, only beer. Our local Tesco used to stock all kinds of interesting beers but does so no longer. So the internet has been useful.

Matthew returned (well back to Utrecht) from Macedonia. He had a dreadful cold but otherwise was OK. I think he enjoyed the conference but some of the organisation ( or lack of) seemed to stress him a bit! He has heard from Singapore about doing his next research project there. There was no response from Hong Kong but from a selfish parental point of view, Singapore is better. Aditi has family there and Matthew has friends from Calgary there. He will be there assuming he gets approval from September to January. We will visit. If the Singapore placement doesn't work out, he could go to Toronto, where we would also visit. Though we would need warmer clothes for that destination.

Tony

• Like 1

.....and another thing. I was taught that when the definite article is followed by a word beginning with a vowel ( the ocean, the underground etc) it is pronounced "thee".

It appears that many of our young now insist on saying "thu" aroma, thu elephant etc.

It sounds ugly and should , in my opinion, be resisted.

Join me brothers and sisters!

Ed

• Like 3

Today is my 67th birthday so I may indulge in some mild overeating. 

However I started loading the car with some stuff for the tip yesterday but the delivery of a load of timber which then needed moving up from the gate to the house left no time for the tip trip so I will have to do that first to clear the car.  

Regards All

Don

A VERY LATE Happy Birthday Don, I hope it was a good un and your not to stuffed with cake.

Had a phone call from Tracey in the Vascular Radiology department at the Northern General this afternoon, to tell me that they have to postpone my appointment for angioplasty this Thursday - “We've got an aneurysm ready to burst”. No arguing with that. “Okay , go to it.”

So, I called round cancelling my lifts, getting the latest family news while I was at it. Emily's teething, one of my niece's husband has had an angina attack. That belonging to the other niece (should I call them nephews in law?) has to travel to the hospital down south where his shrapnel wounds received in Afghanistan were treated, for a final assessment before his case is transferred to the Royal Hallamshire.

Earlier, I'd had a text to tell me that one of my drinking buddies is in the NGH with a perforated bowel. His abdominal cavity has been cleaned out, and, as his general condition isn't too good, they're waiting to see if the bowel heals itself before they operate again. As I'm now at a loose end treatment-wise, I can go in as a visitor rather than a patient.

Rather more cheerfully, Helen's partner has a new job. He'd spent eight years after leaving college with a small company in Staveley, in a studio with a couple of other men who largely ignored him. His new employers are in the property letting business, and he'll be their first in-house graphic artist, with the possibility of heading a small studio in future. I gather that his first job will be to produce a list of what hardware and software he'll need. He'll enjoy that!

The other plus about the job is that he'll be based in Stocksbridge. That means he'll be driving out of and into the city against the general traffic flow. And, Helen's now thinking about a house move to Grenoside, closer to “Stocko” and to my home as well. So we wouldn't be moving out to the south of Sheffield after all, and I could start thinking about some much-needed improvements to the house.

Very tired tonight. The day was spent rebuilding a wooden frame which supports a clear plastic corrugated roof at the back of my garage. It is where I store wood for the wood burner, and the frame had rotted to such an extent that the plastic sheets were in danger of collapsing. As some of the fixings were also corroded, I tried to see if I could get some locally, but the nearest stockists were in either Penrith or Carlisle, each a 100 mile round trip. Fixings duly ordered off Amazon instead, so hopefully it will hold together until the new ones arrive.

I plan to relax more tomorrow after my exertions today!

Good evening and belated Happy Birthday, Don!

Just back from the local station having watched a Torquay - Amberley Ballast Cleaning train pass through.

On my mobile, I have a website link to sussextrains.co.uk; if you subscribe, you can read the headcodes (sorry, train identifiers!). Normally something like 1E26. Tonight, I saw 0DRV and 0GRD! Wonder what they could mean in the current Southern debacle?

Anyone up to speed with the WCRC fiasco at the moment? There's a charter (Royal Wessex with 34067 Tangmere) due through here on Saturday and I can't find the timings yet. Even realtimetrains.co.uk doesn't even list it so I'm guessing it might be a non-starter.

There seems to be another charter due through sometime Sunday hauled by 34052, Lord Dowding, but I don't have any timings for that either.

Good night and best wishes to all

• Like 6

A relaxing evening but now I'm shattered. I can have a lie in tomorrow as my first site visit is for 08:00 and less than 2 miles from home. What a bonus.

Thinking of those ailing, recovering and missing.

Night all

• Like 3

Just back from the local station having watched a Torquay - Amberley Ballast Cleaning train pass through.

On my mobile, I have a website link to sussextrains.co.uk; if you subscribe, you can read the headcodes (sorry, train identifiers!). Normally something like 1E26. Tonight, I saw 0DRV and 0GRD! Wonder what they could mean in the current Southern debacle?

Anyone up to speed with the WCRC fiasco at the moment? There's a charter (Royal Wessex with 34067 Tangmere) due through here on Saturday and I can't find the timings yet. Even realtimetrains.co.uk doesn't even list it so I'm guessing it might be a non-starter.

There seems to be another charter due through sometime Sunday hauled by 34052, Lord Dowding, but I don't have any timings for that either.

http://www.railwaytouring.net/uk-day-trips/the-royal-wessex-1

• Like 1

Sundays trip seems to be a football special. I cant see any times for that

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

Some of the odd identifiers are freight trains, but realtimetrains and others don't always reveal the full headcode. For some reason, some of the freight headcodes are masked out and replaced with other identifiers. GB Railfreight tend to be the only operator who provide normal headcode references for RTT.

The trip with 34052 is a "football special" to Southampton.  Run by the joint owner of Crystal Palace and well known railway entrepreneur Jeremy Hosking.

Sometimes the steam times aren't released until a few days before.

As for WCRC, they are "trading as normal" at the moment, but no doubt subject to the very close scrutiny of ORR and others.

Edit: post crossed with LE's....

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

It's rather late in the day but Happy Birthday to Don.

I've been stressed and grumpy the last two days but some relief came with an unexpected bargain from my local model emporium.

There's nothing of interest on TV so I'm surfing YouTube, currently on a Johnny & the Hurricanes mix. I may cheer myself up with a nightcap; Grouse or Jim Beam?

Goodnight all

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

Sainsburys Grand Prix completed and the shopping is all packed away.

Hot chocolate has been made and duly drunk.

I'm bucking follocksed, so it's off to bed.

Goodnight all.

• Like 10

I come from Birmingham. I don't recall anyone telling me how to pronounce anything.

When I was 14 (or so) I went out with this girl who had to watch  “Crossroads” after school - I had never heard that accent before (probably was not the real thing) like I thought in Birmingham all walls moved when you shut the door - I’m pretty certain now that that is not true either...

Best, Pete.

• Like 1