The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I passed all the Jock comments on to Emma his granddaughter.  She has read them all and messaged me as below.

thank each and every member for their kind words and the monies paid into the relay fund, I can't express our thanks enough for this the donations! In such a sad and hard time in our life's we all have been uplifted by RM support, he would be so very proud of each and everyone one of you his friends,,, the kind hearted man that you all talk about was defiantly one in a million and he will no dought be the brightest star in the sky

I suddenly have something in my eye again!

not happy as failover didn't work.

That's not unusual. Failover systems should be tested by forcing a fault at regular intervals, but few organizations bother to do that. Disappointment usually follows.

I passed all the Jock comments on to Emma his granddaughter.  She has read them all and messaged me as below.

thank each and every member for their kind words and the monies paid into the relay fund, I can't express our thanks enough for this the donations! In such a sad and hard time in our life's we all have been uplifted by RM support, he would be so very proud of each and everyone one of you his friends,,, the kind hearted man that you all talk about was defiantly one in a million and he will no dought be the brightest star in the sky

Thanks Peter, really appreciated

Disappointment certainly followed in one such instance. When I was a Shift Manager many years ago, an electrician came to see me to tell me that they needed to test a changeover system on an electrical power supply. He assured me that on turning off the A side, the system would automatically switch over to the B side as designed. After I approved the test, he went off and set it going. Five minutes later the plant crashed with a series of problems. When he reappeared looking rather sheepish, I asked what had gone wrong. His reply that the auto changover to the B supply had failed as in fact there was no B side at all.

• Like 7

Well pleased to hear your good news, Mal.

Looks like it's going to be a good weekend in these parts. A mixture of workshop and garden jobs planned!

I'm about to watch some old '80s-'90s footage of WCML electrics north of Lancaster on DVD.

I'll watch it on the laptop as I got rid of my telly 3 yrs ago. I may invest in a large monitor if I start working full time again for this express purpose if such a thing can be interfaced with a laptop!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Disappointment certainly followed in one such instance. When I was a Shift Manager many years ago, an electrician came to see me to tell me that they needed to test a changeover system on an electrical power supply. He assured me that on turning off the A side, the system would automatically switch over to the B side as designed. After I approved the test, he went off and set it going. Five minutes later the plant crashed with a series of problems. When he reappeared looking rather sheepish, I asked what had gone wrong. His reply that the auto changover to the B supply had failed as in fact there was no B side at all.

Off to a night shift soon. Just had a solid three hours sleep..

There is a group of 12 golfers on a two night break.

They've already asked the question "How late is the bar open tonight?"

The tactful reply was "It depends on the the night porter....."

We'll see how they are.

The good news, I won my golf singles knockout game 2&1.

Bed at 7am, up at 11am for another round, then it's no work until Tuesday.

I may check back in later if there's a suitable lull at work.

Have a good weekend folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Moist eye syndrome again I'm afraid.

Must be something knocking about!

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone. As I went swimming last night, it meant that I could put my feet up tonight instead. So it was a bottle of red and a bit of TV.

Earlier in the day I was looking out of one of the kitchen windows, and I noticed that our apple tree has blossomed. It's not a huge tree, more of a large twig really, but a couple of years ago we got just over a dozen very delicious Braeburn of it, so fingers crossed for a crop this year!

Whatever you've got planned for the weekend, enjoy it and have a good one.

Goodnight all.

• Like 15

Thanks. I don't know what's wrong, but my eyes have been leaking a lot this week

I have to be up early to talk an engineer through a fault at 06:00. Far too early for a Saturday.

After that the van has to go to the garage to find out why the engine management light is on intermittently. It's not a fault that they've seen before so I can see it being expensive.

On that note, night all

Jock made it easy for us to like him, right from the start caring and giving. His kind words when I lost an old friend to that pernicious disease helped  me to come to terms with it. We will miss Jock but we will remember him by being caring as always

Night all 

• Like 1

I passed all the Jock comments on to Emma his granddaughter. She has read them all and messaged me as below.

Thanks for the message. I'm still struggling but I'm sure Jock would have been the first to offer support. He's missed already.

P

Thanks for the note from Jock's granddaughter Emily.  I'm sure we weren't alone in expressing our gratitude that our paths had crossed and he had been a pleasure to know...

Where's the sun gone?

Right now I'm on the fourth leg of five days golf in six days.  Couldn't be helped, it's just the  way the calendar went, but I'm really in debt on the brownie points front.

Yesterday saw the Seniors Open at West Surrey, just outside Godalming.  The sun was shining and I had the pleasure of playing this course for the first time.  I was staggered.  A beautiful place tucked away from the main roads and just the wildlfe for company.  Definitely in my my top 10 courses and great value at £39.50 for 18 holes of golf on a top course and  a very good lunch.  Didn't win, but a really great day.

The video gives a feel for the place, but doesn't show the changes in elevation which in the case of the 17th was was over a 100' down and then back up again.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 16

Morning all. A slightly grey but warm start to the day and it looks like it will be a scorcher.

I'm certainly not used to being an ER on weekends but that's life.

Polly - Beautiful photos and I'm looking forward to the tour of the gardens later.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from the Sout West.

We had a really good run down thecA303 yesterday reaching Exeter about 1pm. Checked into hotel and parked the car.

Then we took the train to Exmouth back to Lympstone Village and in thecSwan next to the station.

Next stop was to Topsham where we waited for the Bridge Inn to open at 6pm.my brother and his wife arrived in time for the first drink.

After that we bailed st Exeter Central where we met another Fellow Freemo er for food and another couple of drinks before calling it a night.

Excellent weather made it an even better day.

Looking forward or setting up the layout and as we are on the end off other modules we don't have to be there till about 10am so a liesurely breakfast in Wethers is planned.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Jock made it easy for us to like him, right from the start caring and giving. His kind words when I lost an old friend to that pernicious disease helped  me to come to terms with it. We will miss Jock but we will remember him by being caring as always

Night all 

Well said, Laurence. Nothing that would need to be added indeed.

Thank you for forwarding Emma's message, LE. I'm sure Jock will be held in the best of memory indeed.

Morning all! Bright and sunny with beyond 20°C forecast. Quite looking forward to the shift I described yesterday as it'll be something a bit out of the ordinary. Tomorrow, I'll be having a day off for a specific rail-related event which I'll see to reporting on afterwards!

Mal, forgot to say (I did, didn't I?), good news indeed. Certainly wishing that you won't have to deal with this particular branch of medicine for anything serious ever again.

Have a good one, troops…

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!

Was too tired last night to do anything other than read through the posts. The two games I umpired yesterday were the Varsity games in memory of a player who died in his sleep in his final year at University. I part knew him through youngest Herbert so it was a thrill to be asked.

Hope that you and Is enjoyevery day you have together. I am certain you will.

It's been a tough week in ER land but good news from Mal and the bluebells from Polly lift the spirits.

Off to Barnsley next for cricket then a birthday gathering.

Have a wonderful day. And sleep well Rick

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Very sorry to read about Is Dave. The valley of the Rocks is a inspiring place although some of the paths are not easy for anyone suffering vertigo. The L&B at Woody Bay is not far away too.

I have worked some odd shifts in my life. The never suit everyone. The family men want times that enable them to see the kids, the young men want to see their girlfriends. One of the best was a nine day fortnight. Finishing work nearly an hour later each day gave a day off every other week. You rarely needed to take an odd day as Holiday and could keep all your annual leave for proper holidays. All those odd things like getting the car MOT could be done on an off day.

Don

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and the sun has made an appearance. Should be a fine and very warm day.

There are various things that need attending to in the garden (according to The Invalid Boss - she's obviously feeling better) What she fails to take into account is that I still have some recorded rugby to catch up with together with a couple of live games this afternoon. I took her up a cuppa earlier but don't think there's enough brownie points in that as she's already up and about so suspect I may get an earbashing shortly. Wouldn't be the first time. :whistle:  :onthequiet:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a slightly grey village.  Thanks LE for the message from Jock's granddaughter.  Everything has been said that need saying so I'll leave it there.

Mal, great news and make the most of it.

Here last night wasn't great.  My car refused to start at the clubrooms and I had o get it recovered home and got home at about 1am.  I'll have to speak to the garage this morning.  Later this morning daughter and partner are due to arrive to help clear out the loft.   This will be  major exercise as the loft and it's content was always going to my revenge on the kids when they put me in a home.  With the impending move to France we now have to clear it.   It should prove to be an interesting day but without my car an it's load carrying capacity tip runs are going to be tricky.

Regards to all

Jamie

• Like 1